• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Philip Rivers a HOFer?

Is Philip Rivers a Hall of Famer?

• Yes

• No

• Has work to do still, but it's possible.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And honestly, not beating out Brees isn't a bad thing. It's not like we knock Rodgers for not beating out Favre for a few years. We don't say Staubach sucks cause he couldn't beat out Morton until he signed that WFL contract. Or Aikman couldn't beat out Walsh until he was traded away.

Lots of guys spent a year or more as a backup to lesser QB's than Brees and ones playing worse than him at the time.
I dont disagree with this. But this wasnt the point a poster was trying to make either.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes
1231448056721-1.jpg

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who do you have for the 6 above him right now ?
This year?
Fitzpatrick
Mahomes
Brees
Brady
Rodgers
Maybe Cousins, Luck or Dalton

He might be in the top 5 this year, but he's never been a top 3 QB in the league any year. Not sure he was even top 5 in any year.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers puts up video game numbers but has a knack of finding ways to blow games for his team .... too many key INT's late in games ...... sack fumbles when the game is on the line ...... errant passes when they need him to make a play

there's a reason why the guy has only averaged 8.8 wins a season and only has 4 playoff wins in 14 years.

I stand by my opinion that Rivers should not be in the HOF ... the HOF should be reserved for the truly elite

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might be.....personally I think it should be 50/50 to get in at all, but the idiotic 'rings' argument seems to win out.
He's been a top five QB most of his career.

Rivers has never been accused of that.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year?
Fitzpatrick
Mahomes
Brees
Brady
Rodgers
Maybe Cousins, Luck or Dalton

He might be in the top 5 this year, but he's never been a top 3 QB in the league any year. Not sure he was even top 5 in any year.

Now at least I know you are crazy or high on something....Not even 3 games into the season and you would put your money on backups, rookies and 2 that have been average to slightly above at times their entire career thus far over Rivers ?????? Wow, that's all !!!!

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that moment yes I'd take Rivers. Hindsight, Brees. But Brees was coming off that major shoulder injury that had teams wondering if he'd be the same and he was asking top 5 franchise QB money to boot. It wasn't a move anyone was questioning at the time.

Same with Manning vs. Luck. Nobody at the time was saying keeping Manning had to be the right call, when no one was even sure if he could throw. They had to go with the QB they liked who could play.

All true....Most teams would like to groom their next qb for a yr before starting them....I do think because Brees didn't do well the 2 previous yrs, they started him for experience and figured if he kept losing they would throw in the rook with whatever he had learned to that point.....But Brees finally clicked and had a good yr until that last game...
They obviously was gonna change qb's is why they actually drafted Eli and you know that story....

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And honestly, not beating out Brees isn't a bad thing. It's not like we knock Rodgers for not beating out Favre for a few years. We don't say Staubach sucks cause he couldn't beat out Morton until he signed that WFL contract. Or Aikman couldn't beat out Walsh until he was traded away.

Lots of guys spent a year or more as a backup to lesser QB's than Brees and ones playing worse than him at the time.

:dingdingding:............

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now at least I know you are crazy or high on something....Not even 3 games into the season and you would put your money on backups, rookies and 2 that have been average to slightly above at times their entire career thus far over Rivers ?????? Wow, that's all !!!!
You missed the "THIS YEAR" part. All of them are better this year than Rivers. It's the same almost every year. There are 5 QB's who are better than Rivers every year. Rivers has the longevity, but he has never been a top 3 QB in any year he has played.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed the "THIS YEAR" part. All of them are better this year than Rivers. It's the same almost every year. There are 5 QB's who are better than Rivers every year. Rivers has the longevity, but he has never been a top 3 QB in any year he has played.

I was speaking to the "this yr" with the 2 games in and ????.....I don't know if he's ever been listed as top 3 but my opinion is that he is better than Brees and should have been....The difference is that Brees has had an outstanding HC for his entire career with the Saints and Rivers has never had one and been through like 5 of them and a team move....I know Rivers has been considered by the pros a top qb since his 1st yr as a starter.....
That being said, I maintain he needs at least a SB appearance or a record breaking season of some sort to get in the HOF, and it won't be a 1st ballot if he does......

WC. Moses

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Phillips and Matt Ryan are building very good cases for HOF consideration.

WC. Moses

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ryan has 2016 to distinguish him from Phillips, they are very close otherwise.
Both are elite statistically. Ryan reached 30,000 yards in fewer games than any other QB in history. There are many metrics where they both rate highly

WC. Moses

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say yes in todays HOF.
Top 20% at each position should get in.

It's a low lower than 20% of starting players at any position the even sniff The HOL.
Maybe if you narrow it down to 12 or 14 year starters it might be in the ball park.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still kind of feel like you need to be first team All-Pro at least twice before you're ever considered for the HOF.

Brian Dawkins was a 5x first team All-Pro and wasn't a lock to get in

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was speaking to the "this yr" with the 2 games in and ????.....I don't know if he's ever been listed as top 3 but my opinion is that he is better than Brees and should have been....The difference is that Brees has had an outstanding HC for his entire career with the Saints and Rivers has never had one and been through like 5 of them and a team move....I know Rivers has been considered by the pros a top qb since his 1st yr as a starter.....
That being said, I maintain he needs at least a SB appearance or a record breaking season of some sort to get in the HOF, and it won't be a 1st ballot if he does......
This question may be different for many of us. I wish the hall was harder to get into. I would only put guys who were top 3 in the league for at least a few years.
With the current standards, I think he will get in.

I've been playing fantasy football for Rivers whole career, and I have never taken Rivers as a top 4 or 5 QB. Bleacher report had him ranked as the 10th best QB between 2000 and 2009.

For me, I think of him as a good QB for a long time.

WC. Moses

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been a top five QB most of his career.

Rivers has never been accused of that.
Both Ryan and Phillips are top 6 in active QBs when you just consider career stats.

Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Phillips
Ryan
Big Ben

WC. Moses

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This question may be different for many of us. I wish the hall was harder to get into. I would only put guys who were top 3 in the league for at least a few years.
With the current standards, I think he will get in.

I've been playing fantasy football for Rivers whole career, and I have never taken Rivers as a top 4 or 5 QB. Bleacher report had him ranked as the 10th best QB between 2000 and 2009.

For me, I think of him as a good QB for a long time.

I think like baseball cumulative stats have to be there. Being elite a few years is less impressive than being excellent over a long career.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Ryan and Phillips are top 6 in active QBs when you just consider career stats.

Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Phillips
Ryan
Big Ben
So were Vinny Testeverde, Dave Krieg and Steve DeBerg at one point.

5 years from now, Stafford and Tannehill will be.

None of those guys need to be in HOF conversations for it.