• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Philip Rivers a HOFer?

Is Philip Rivers a Hall of Famer?

• Yes

• No

• Has work to do still, but it's possible.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why doesn't that make it right? What other credentials do you have to have and please don't say SB rings.

Rivers has thrown for over 4,000 yard 9 times in a 14 year career, came pretty darn close to 5,000 yds twice and he isn't an INT machine like one particular drooling tard in NYC. Hard to believe there are people that think he isn't a top QB in the last 15-20 years.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the beginning.... (as has been said biblically).....

I used to think Rivers was an ass.

I currently think he is a supremely intense QB.

HOF doesn't really matter much.

He's worthy. Stats are good enough.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People always use that term " hall of fame level" but what does that mean? Theres a boatload of people in the Hall with shitty numbers ( comparitively) to guys recently . Most of us never saw any of those guys play so it's tough to comment on them . I feel like it's a catch all term to use when you want an excuse to say no to a guy. I know that's not what you're doing here but it's always struck me as a copout

I guess there's one big difference too. What if you are consistently playing well above your peers... As a punter. Or a long snapper. What about Matt Slater? 7 straight pro-bowls as a special teams cover guy.

I think value of position is a big one here, and there's no position close to QB. Want to find a dynasty, find great QB play. Want to find a team winning more than losing consistently, find great QB play. There's no Joe Thomas, JJ Watt, or Calvin Johnson of QB's. Elite guys with sub-500 records.

There's no .500 record really good QB anymore. There hardly ever was. Guys like Moon were .500 because they had some really bad years. When they were playing at a great level, they won in that time.

No other position has the power they do. Most of a teams yards, TD's and almost all their turnovers come from the QB position. The only position that decides what to do with the football on 50% of a teams plays.

And it's even moreso in todays NFL. I agree passing successfully is easier than ever. It's also more common than ever.

Heck the past two Superbowls 2 quarterbacks have thrown for a combined 789 yards, 5 TD's and 0 INT's. And it wasn't enough for those two to win.

So I guess you could say the value of a great QB has skyrocketed. So that's where I think the 5th best QB of an era or the 6th best QB of an era might get a HOF vote over the 2nd best inside LB.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers has thrown for over 4,000 yard 9 times in a 14 year career, came pretty darn close to 5,000 yds twice and he isn't an INT machine like one particular drooling tard in NYC. Hard to believe there are people that think he isn't a top QB in the last 15-20 years.

No he's just a complete loser

Let's face it Rex, any threat to your boy Brady, whether it's Eli owning that ass or Rodgers being much better, sucks in your eyes

But the guys that Brady owns like being 9-1 against Rivers, those guys are great

Yeah, not too transparent

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Teams last more now and guys play longer now. Neither of those impact passer rating or YPA though. Also to my earlier point, do you grade other offensive positions differently too ( since it's an offensive era ) or fo you only do that with QBS?

Example - do you think Larry Fitzherald is a lock Hall of Famer? Antonio Gates? If yes then why? They also benefit from the current rules and neither has ever won anything of note
Stats should not be compared between eras too much. Players need to be compared to players playing when they did. Was Rivers ever thought of as a top 3 QB in the league?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Example - do you think Larry Fitzherald is a lock Hall of Famer? Antonio Gates? If yes then why? They also benefit from the current rules and neither has ever won anything of note

Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Gates were considered the best at their position, or at least in the top 3 for a few years. Rivers has never really been discussed as a top 5 QB at any time in his career.

Given that there are only 26 modern day QB's in the HOF in the last 70 years, well...you do the math. That's about 3 or 4 in a decade long span, and without question, P. Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are all locks from Rivers' generation. Roethlisberger has similar stats plus he has SB Championships, so he has the edge. Eli, whom I don't believe is a HOF'er, has the edge based on 2 SB's.

Then you have guys like Ryan and Stafford who will also pile up 'top 10' all time stats......bottom line is that unless Rivers can get a SB (which is bogus criteria IMO) they shouldn't be sending 10 QB's from this era into the Hall. Anyone who simply takes 'top 10 stats' at face value without regards to era has no business deciding who is a HOF quarterback or not.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Gates were considered the best at their position, or at least in the top 3 for a few years. Rivers has never really been discussed as a top 5 QB at any time in his career.

Given that there are only 26 modern day QB's in the HOF in the last 70 years, well...you do the math. That's about 3 or 4 in a decade long span, and without question, P. Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are all locks from Rivers' generation. Roethlisberger has similar stats plus he has SB Championships, so he has the edge. Eli, whom I don't believe is a HOF'er, has the edge based on 2 SB's.

Then you have guys like Ryan and Stafford who will also pile up 'top 10' all time stats......bottom line is that unless Rivers can get a SB (which is bogus criteria IMO) they shouldn't be sending 10 QB's from this era into the Hall. Anyone who simply takes 'top 10 stats' at face value without regards to era has no business deciding who is a HOF quarterback or not.
I totally get what you're saying but how legit a criteria is "he was never too 3 at his position"? Especially given the fact you could make a strong argument that hes playing in the same era as 4 of the best 5 QBs of all time.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wins a Super Bowl? I say, hell yes.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get what you're saying but how legit a criteria is "he was never too 3 at his position"? Especially given the fact you could make a strong argument that hes playing in the same era as 4 of the best 5 QBs of all time.
I see what you are saying, but all we can compare him to are the QB's in the same time span. It is crazy how stats define a player more than anything else. I still think Joe Montana is top 3 all time, but he has been shoved down the list because his stats don't compare to the stats of QB's from a more pass happy era of the NFL.
Eli and Rivers were never considered to be one of the 5 best at their position in the league when they played. I just don't see that as HOF material.
But to be fair, I always thought the HOF should be more strict on who they let in.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Hadl
In 1980, John Hadl had the 4th most passing yards of all time for a career. He is not in, and I don't think he should be in. He was never a top player each year. He just played at a different time.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. When my mind wanders over to HoF qb's he isn't even close.

Edit: in this era, Tom, Aaron, Ben, these are the guys that come to mind.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back on subject.
No, Rivers does not belong in the HOF.
He was never considered top 5 QB in the league during the time he played.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he's better than Brees so in the top 3-5 qb's in the league.....And stat wise he may make it but not likely a 1st ballot.....
However I don't think he has accomplished anything worthy of HOF at this point and would need at least a SB showing, but with some of the flukes they've inducted these days, shoot, Dirty Sanchez may make it in.....:noidea: