• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Philip Rivers a HOFer?

Is Philip Rivers a Hall of Famer?

• Yes

• No

• Has work to do still, but it's possible.

Results are only viewable after voting.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet the guy in the backfield with him most of his career got right in and no one said a word lol

It's just funny. Imagine saying AP shouldn't be in the HoF because no ring, or Tony Gonzalez , or Anthony Munoz, or Randy Moss .... weird

LT was one of the most dominant RBs of all time. Rivers was a very good QB, but few would call him dominant. LT was a literal record setter. If RBs mattered, he would've had a ring.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT was one of the most dominant RBs of all time. Rivers was a very good QB, but few would call him dominant. LT was a literal record setter. If RBs mattered, he would've had a ring.
Sure but that's not the point . I'm speaking to the " so and so doesn't have a ring " excuse when it comes to QBs when we don't use it on any other positions. Football , more so than any other sport, should be the last one where rings matter . 6 of the top 10 RBS and 6 of the top 10 WRs all time dobt have rings

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet the guy in the backfield with him most of his career got right in and no one said a word lol

It's just funny. Imagine saying AP shouldn't be in the HoF because no ring, or Tony Gonzalez , or Anthony Munoz, or Randy Moss .... weird
Philip Rivers also had seasons where he cost his team chances at the playoffs. There were legitimately some years where you looked at the Chargers and said 'whats wrong' and one of the problems was Rivers.

Comparing that to someone like Tony G is just daft. Tony G was either the #1 or #2 player at his position for almost his entire career. Rivers might have never once been the #1 or #2 player at his position. They arent even in the same ballpark

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys in the league right now at QB

Locks- Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Rodgers

Likely in- Ryan, Rivers

Almost certain to get in but need a few more years - Wilson, Mahomes

Outside shot- Stafford

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philip Rivers also had seasons where he cost his team chances at the playoffs. There were legitimately some years where you looked at the Chargers and said 'whats wrong' and one of the problems was Rivers.

Comparing that to someone like Tony G is just daft. Tony G was either the #1 or #2 player at his position for almost his entire career. Rivers might have never once been the #1 or #2 player at his position. They arent even in the same ballpark
I'm not comping players. I'm saying the " rings " excise isn't used with other positions. Honestly it's only recently ut even started being used with QBs. Like 20% of the modern Era QBs in the HoF dobt have any rings

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys in the league right now at QB

Locks- Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Rodgers

Likely in- Ryan, Rivers

Almost certain to get in but need a few more years - Wilson, Mahomes

Outside shot- Stafford
And thats not including many of the young guys like Josh Allen, Watson, or Herbert who probably have a punchers chance of getting in at some point.

At some point, it has to be about more than just stats.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And thats not including many of the young guys like Josh Allen, Watson, or Herbert who probably have a punchers chance of getting in at some point.

Thats fair. What else should it be about then ( for all positions)? MVPS? Pro Bowls? SB rings/appearances ? All those are stats too I guess ... I'm open to different criteria as long as everyone is held to the same standard and it's quantifiable .

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure but that's not the point . I'm speaking to the " so and so doesn't have a ring " excuse when it comes to QBs when we don't use it on any other positions. Football , more so than any other sport, should be the last one where rings matter . 6 of the top 10 RBS and 6 of the top 10 WRs all time dobt have rings

QB makes the biggest difference. There’s a reason that Brady went to so many Super Bowls and without Brady the Pats can’t even make the playoffs. Disregarding the impact a QB has on a franchise and how much they win is just silly.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB makes the biggest difference. There’s a reason that Brady went to so many Super Bowls and without Brady the Pats can’t even make the playoffs. Disregarding the impact a QB has on a franchise and how much they win is just silly.
Brady is an anomaly though . The 2 best active QBs in the league carrer wise ( aside from Brady ) have 2 SB appearances in 30+ years in the league

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To most knowledgeable football fans, yes, it should be. But most of these sports journalists that have a vote are actually less knowledgeable than the average fan with just as much bias and rooting interest. They are also lazy and look at stats to bolster their crappy opinions. It is what it is.
I also think we look at it from a greatness perspective but these guys play favorites and most of them like Rivers. He's no lock or first ballot or maybe borderline or whatever but they will vote him in.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats fair. What else should it be about then ( for all positions)? MVPS? Pro Bowls? SB rings/appearances ? All those are stats too I guess ... I'm open to different criteria as long as everyone is held to the same standard and it's quantifiable .
Its probably going to be an 'all of the above' type of thing.

The easiest way to measure players across eras is noting the number All Pro rankings and to a lesser extent pro bowl rankings. I'd say W-L record, YPA, TD to INT and eyeball test all kinda matter.

Unfortunately with Rivers, when he had Gates and Tomlinson than more often than not he looked like a Hall of Famer. Without Tomlinson, Rivers was mostly just an average starting QB for a long time. Denver ran the AFC West for awhile and KC ran the AFC West for awhile and Rivers was buried within his own division.

Rivers will almost certainly get in. I personally would have him just barely missing getting in. I think Ryan will eventually be at a point where he just barely makes it in unless he goes on another SB run in which case he'll be in pretty easily. I wouldn't put Eli Manning in.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its probably going to be an 'all of the above' type of thing.

The easiest way to measure players across eras is noting the number All Pro rankings and to a lesser extent pro bowl rankings. I'd say W-L record, YPA, TD to INT and eyeball test all kinda matter.

Unfortunately with Rivers, when he had Gates and Tomlinson than more often than not he looked like a Hall of Famer. Without Tomlinson, Rivers was mostly just an average starting QB for a long time. Denver ran the AFC West for awhile and KC ran the AFC West for awhile and Rivers was buried within his own division.

Rivers will almost certainly get in. I personally would have him just barely missing getting in. I think Ryan will eventually be at a point where he just barely makes it in unless he goes on another SB run in which case he'll be in pretty easily. I wouldn't put Eli Manning in.
Imo Ryan already has a better case than Rivers ( with the MVP and the SB appearance ) . I think both get in though

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pro bowls have become meaningless as well though. All of the criteria is biased so there is no real answer. Honestly, I'm of a mind that the whole thing is just a talking point and nothing more. It's a nice little post career note for these players but in the end, it's not the end all be all. Even the MVPs these days. It's just best stats by a QB on a winning team and nothing else. It often has less to do with value.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo Ryan already has a better case than Rivers ( with the MVP and the SB appearance ) . I think both get in though
I agree. The eyeball test tells me that Rivers played on better teams (read: had much better defenses)

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The eyeball test tells me that Rivers played on better teams (read: had much better defenses)
Well that's a low bar given Atlantas defense the last 12 years lol. Ryan is like a slightly more successful new agey combo of Moon and Fouts having a really slow baby

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's a low bar given Atlantas defense the last 12 years lol
It is a low bar and I think Rivers' teams clear it pretty easily. Chargers defense has been fairly talented for years now both in his prime and later in his career. Colts defense was also about as good this year.

I do think Rivers not getting to a Super Bowl when he had Tomlinson and Gates was a bit of a fluke. Marty Schottenheimer is just cursed. Thats not Rivers fault. Rivers getting boxed out of the AFC West for the rest of his career? Thats on Rivers.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady is an anomaly though . The 2 best active QBs in the league carrer wise ( aside from Brady ) have 2 SB appearances in 30+ years in the league

Big Ben, Rodgers, and Wilson have 5 appearances combined. Add in Mahomes who will more than likely make at least a couple more barring injury and that makes 6+. Great QBs make a difference.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ben, Rodgers, and Wilson have 5 appearances combined. Add in Mahomes who will more than likely make at least a couple more barring injury and that makes 6+. Great QBs make a difference.
Of course Great QB play matters . I'm just saying using Brady is not really a fair comp as he dwarfs everyone. The best QBs in the NFL have fewer combined appearances together than Brady does by himself lol .