• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Philip Rivers a HOFer?

Is Philip Rivers a Hall of Famer?

• Yes

• No

• Has work to do still, but it's possible.

Results are only viewable after voting.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so weird we hold QBs to this " they dont have a ring " standard when we don't do it with any other positions. Football is the ultimate team sport but in this once instance ( how great was this QBs career ) we assign all a teams success/failure to them

It's kind of preposterous really
No rings, no MVPs, no passing records, not even for any 1 season. Don't think he was considered top 5 in any 1 season. Sorry but your boy Ryan doesn't get in and neither does Alex Smith like some unintelligent poster mentioned

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No rings, no MVPs, no passing records, not even for any 1 season. Don't think he was considered top 5 in any 1 season. Sorry but your boy Ryan doesn't get in and neither does Alex Smith like some unintelligent poster mentioned
Ryan has a much better argument than Rivers but I think both get it. Smith has no shot lol

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted no. He was never a champion, never the best QB in the league. He compiled some big stats due to longevity but has zero HOF caliber qualities in my book.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan has a much better argument than Rivers but I think both get it. Smith has no shot lol
Sure he does but IMO both aren't in yet, Ryan of course with his MVP and SB appearance, can if he finishes with a few more fantastic seasons. I like Ryan as BC is the closest Div1 football team to me and is the sister college to my son's HS in RI. When you think of QB for Atl you think of Ryan and then Vick and in SD it's Fout and then Rivers

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure he does but IMO both aren't in yet, Ryan of course with his MVP and SB appearance, can if he finishes with a few more fantastic seasons. I like Ryan as BC is the closest Div1 football team to me and is the sister college to my son's HS in RI. When you think of QB for Atl you think of Ryan and then Vick and in SD it's Fout and then Rivers
Itll be interesting to see what happens with Rivers . He's already top 10 all time in nearly every metric you can think if for QBs. If he gets in then Ryan is a lock . If he doesn't then it'll be close . Ryan will likely finish top 5 all time in most every stat ( or top 10 in the ones he's not top 5 In ) and will almost certainly have more personal accolades, wins and team success. Plus being a WAY better postseason QB

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Itll be interesting to see what happens with Rivers . He's already top 10 all time in nearly every metric you can think if for QBs. If he gets in then Ryan is a lock . If he doesn't then it'll be close . Ryan will likely finish top 5 all time in most every stat ( or top 10 in the ones he's not top 5 In ) and will almost certainly have more personal accolades, wins and team success. Plus being a WAY better postseason QB
Sure but with the all rule changes esp in 05,it has become a passing league. When Marino put up 5k, with the old rules that was truly amazing, and now it's not as impressive, especially for a dome QB. I rather go with a guy who can be top 5 for say 10 solid years than one that is 6-15 for 15 years. That's why it's funny for the younger guys who try and compare stats with diff eras, apples and avacados

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure but with the all rule changes esp in 05,it has become a passing league. When Marino put up 5k, with the old rules that was truly amazing, and now it's not as impressive, especially for a dome QB. I rather go with a guy who can be top 5 for say 10 solid years than one that is 6-15 for 15 years. That's why it's funny for the younger guys who try and compare stats with diff eras, apples and avacados
True but it's still how they judge it mostly . You're not wrong but I just don't see a top 5 guy all time in yards and TDs, top 10 in wins , with a MVP at least 1 SB appearance not getting in. That would be a huge veer off the normal path. Rivers is more interesting though . Hes like a juiced up Carson Palmer so I can see the debate

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We Are Decent

Depressed Penn State Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers was good, not good enough for the HOF, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got in.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't really give a shit about hall of fame things.

But those 2 would be worthy if I cared.

It's not just about SBs and MVPs. To me anyway.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ken Anderson not in the top 10 is criminal.....Played in an era where games were like a prison fight and put up good numbers against some of the best NFL teams ever.....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always go by the reaction test. When you hear a guys' name, you immediately say "YES" and that's a HOF'er. If you hesitate - the answer is likely no, but as we've discussed before on here, the HOF is also the Hall of Really good.

Peyton Manning -Yes
Tom Brady - Yes.
Drew Brees- Yes.

Phillip Rivers - ehhhhhhhh

I think he'll eventually get in, as his stats are up there with guys, but to me he's not an all-time great, and that is what the HOF should be for. He was very good during his years, but he was not "great". Maybe for a few years, but certainly not long-enough, IMO.
Couldn’t the only good for a few years be used for everyone? Tom Brady for sure, but I truly don’t see how Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are far superior. Brees has one ring and Manning has two where his defense carried him.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn’t the only good for a few years be used for everyone? Tom Brady for sure, but I truly don’t see how Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are far superior. Brees has one ring and Manning has two where his defense carried him.
The problem for QBs in this Era is they all get comped to Brady. If Brady didn't exist and people said "what about Rivers" you'd think " well he's not all that far off from the greats of his time ". Its like basketball players in the 90s. The natural comp was MJ which simply isn't fair to them

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll get in because an 8 ProBowl résumé will, (eventually), carry the day. Looking at a list of 21st Century QBs who are or will be in the HoF, (Favre, Warner, Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Wilson, Mahomes, & probably others i've missed), Rivers isn't really in that class. I guess it could be a long wait unless he does something else, (coaching or broadcasting), that adds to the résumé.

I was surprised at how few QBs have gotten in since 2000. I guess it's partly down to new rules, and better training extending careers.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem for QBs in this Era is they all get comped to Brady. If Brady didn't exist and people said "what about Rivers" you'd think " well he's not all that far off from the greats of his time ". Its like basketball players in the 90s. The natural comp was MJ which simply isn't fair to them
I am not questioning that. Nor am I advocating for Rivers or saying people should put him top 5. My only question is how can someone say Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are easy first ballot HOFer’s but saying eh, Rivers doesn’t belong when they are all the exact same players except for the rings.