• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Philip Rivers a HOFer?

Is Philip Rivers a Hall of Famer?

• Yes

• No

• Has work to do still, but it's possible.

Results are only viewable after voting.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Rivers as a Tony Romo that played longer. ..I give Rivers the edge because he had more Playoff success.

But I just don't see the exceptional talent that you need to get into the hall.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody remember Dan Fouts? He's a HOFer. He was a bad ass QB. A member of the 40,000 club back when that meant something. He has a 254-242 TD-INT ratio. He never made it to a Super Bowl. If only they had a defense.
I always think of Fouts first when talk of Chargers QBs come up. Dude was tough as nails and in the early 80's was arguably the best QB in the game. In the strike year, he was on pace to throw over 5k yds. Having Winslow, Chandler and Joiner helped. Was never one to put up big TD numbers because when they got down inside the 10, they would punch it in with the RBs but that "air Coryell" offense was almost unstoppable. Like you say, defense was an afterthought.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always go by the reaction test. When you hear a guys' name, you immediately say "YES" and that's a HOF'er. If you hesitate - the answer is likely no, but as we've discussed before on here, the HOF is also the Hall of Really good.

Peyton Manning -Yes
Tom Brady - Yes.
Drew Brees- Yes.

Phillip Rivers - ehhhhhhhh

I think he'll eventually get in, as his stats are up there with guys, but to me he's not an all-time great, and that is what the HOF should be for. He was very good during his years, but he was not "great". Maybe for a few years, but certainly not long-enough, IMO.
Yeah guys get in that don’t belong...it happens. I think he is pretty borderline and I wouldn’t put him in but I think he will get in.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt.

It could be that Rivers, Alex Smith and Drew Brees all retire after this season and all will be first ballot HOFers.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt.

It could be that Rivers, Alex Smith and Drew Brees all retire after this season and all will be first ballot HOFers.
Bugs Bunny No GIF

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistically, if you put Eli and Ben in the HoF, you have to put Rivers in as well. However, him not winning a Super Bowl, in my opinion, hurts him. He's got about the same passing yardage, he's been to more pro bowls than Ben and Eli, he's more accurate then Ben and Eli, he's got less INTs and more TDs than Ben and Eli. The only real difference are the Super Bowls.

...and those Super Bowls are the reason they ARE future HOFers (even if I hate that wins/losses are considered QB stats). Rivers? Borderline at best.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so weird we hold QBs to this " they dont have a ring " standard when we don't do it with any other positions. Football is the ultimate team sport but in this once instance ( how great was this QBs career ) we assign all a teams success/failure to them

It's kind of preposterous really

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so weird we hold QBs to this " they dont have a ring " standard when we don't do it with any other positions. Football is the ultimate team sport but in this once instance ( how great was this QBs career ) we assign all a teams success/failure to them

It's kind of preposterous really

The problem with Rivers isn't that he didn't win a Super Bowl, but they he never even got to the Super Bowl.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine thinking Alex Smith is a 1st ballot HOFer.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Rivers isn't that he didn't win a Super Bowl, but they he never even got to the Super Bowl.
Yet the guy in the backfield with him most of his career got right in and no one said a word lol

It's just funny. Imagine saying AP shouldn't be in the HoF because no ring, or Tony Gonzalez , or Anthony Munoz, or Randy Moss .... weird