• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Mayhew evolving?

Is he evolving ?

• Hell No!!

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Marginally, never more than mediocre

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Heading in right direction

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Becoming top ten GM?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Into a land mammal of some sort from a fish?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew is a reactionary GM. Meaning he really is MMII.

Remember when ol' Matt decided to go all high motor. He got high motor alright. Problem was, he wasn't putting as much talent on the Lions as other GMs were putting on theirs. That's how you get to 0-16.

Now, ol' Martin is taking all high character guys. Too bad the NFL doesn't give out team sportsmanship trophies.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remember when ol' Matt decided to go all high motor. He got high motor alright. Problem was, he wasn't putting as much talent on the Lions as other GMs were putting on theirs. That's how you get to 0-16.

Now, ol' Martin is taking all high character guys. Too bad the NFL doesn't give out team sportsmanship trophies.

You are correct, but you are going to see more GM's start heading that direction. Not so much they are worried of the image from a bad player. With Goddell enforcing new rules, you just might start seeing that trend a little more. JMHO because a talented guy is of no use if he is suspended.

I think Collins going undrafted is small sample of what's to come.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct, but you are going to see more GM's start heading that direction. Not so much they are worried of the image from a bad player. With Goddell enforcing new rules, you just might start seeing that trend a little more. JMHO because a talented guy is of no use if he is suspended.

I think Collins going undrafted is small sample of what's to come.

Agreed. But what I'm saying is that you don't pass on talent to draft a characteristic. You don't draft all players with good leadership qualities or you end up with a team of leaders with no one to lead. You don't draft all high intelligence guys or you end up with a very football savvy team that just isn't very good at tackle football. You put the most talent on the team while passing on players with significant risk. Drafting a single characteristic is a strategy you would expect from a middle school kid. One thing I can say for that 0-16 team. Their inability to win wasn't for a lack of effort. Our draftees may never be suspended, but don't be surprised if they're not quite as good as their peers.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got ya now Fog.

I do think Laken and AA have talent. AA has great talent with a issue of fumbling a (little) LOL. but a lot of talent. Laken was viewed as the best true G from position stand point. Now some said Collins or Irving may play guard better. He is talented though. So you can get both. Those other picks time will tell.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our draftees may never be suspended, but don't be surprised if they're not quite as good as their peers.
So b/c they're considered high character, they're already going to be worse than other guys we could've drafted? Damn, tough crowd.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUOTE="Microwahevo, post: 6579526, member: 4156"]So b/c they're considered high character, they're already going to be worse than other guys we could've drafted? Damn, tough crowd.[/QUOTE]

Real tough crowd.
Thats odd because Mr. Suh was said to be a player with fine character coming out of college. Now, he's deemed as the best DT in football by many here. Drafting guys with high character is a wise, wise decision. Drafting questionable guys either shows some desperation, lack of knowledge or a team simply has the right situation fo that type of thing.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think maybe we selected really smart players this year because they hope those guys can teach Ewrong the playbook.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So b/c they're considered high character, they're already going to be worse than other guys we could've drafted? Damn, tough crowd.

So every time it was the Lions turn to pick, the guy at the top of their board just happened to be a high character guy? Hell of a coincidence.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So every time it was the Lions turn to pick, the guy at the top of their board just happened to be a high character guy? Hell of a coincidence.
Who cares if he's "high character" or not. If he can play, he can play. But automatically assuming guys that aren't thugs are gonna be worse than those that are thugs is asinine imo.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares if he's "high character" or not. If he can play, he can play. But automatically assuming guys that aren't thugs are gonna be worse than those that are thugs is asinine imo.

That's one hell of a leap from what I actually said.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But what I'm saying is that you don't pass on talent to draft a characteristic. You don't draft all players with good leadership qualities or you end up with a team of leaders with no one to lead. You don't draft all high intelligence guys or you end up with a very football savvy team that just isn't very good at tackle football. You put the most talent on the team while passing on players with significant risk. Drafting a single characteristic is a strategy you would expect from a middle school kid. One thing I can say for that 0-16 team. Their inability to win wasn't for a lack of effort. Our draftees may never be suspended, but don't be surprised if they're not quite as good as their peers.
You're saying don't pass on talent to draft a characteristic...who is doing that? Avoiding guys with bad character is a smart draft strategy, as those guys more often then not do not pan out. You get a guy thats lazy, has a bad attitude, or gets in trouble. Fairley was a perfect example. All the talent in the world, or really good at tackle football as you say, but he was lazy, had a bad attitude, and got into trouble. With the NFL's tough dicipline policy, chances are the bad seeds are going to be in trouble, fail drug tests etc., and not be on the field. Targeting guys who are talented, yet also are of high character makes sense. Dr Tomlinson for example will most likely be our starting guard for the next 5 years...pencil him in. No DUI, no making it rain, no suspension, no dumb penalties.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats the over under on how long it takes the following players to get suspended (in months from today?)
Randy Gregory (18)
Doriel Green-Beckham (8)
Carl Davis (12)
Jameis Winston (24)
Frank Clark (18)
Karlos Williams (12)
Marcus Peters (16)
Paul Dawson (18)
Shane Ray (12)
La'El Collins (3)
PJ Williams (6)
Ronald Darby (24)
Jalen Collins (12)

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess everyone conveniently ignored the bolded part.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess everyone conveniently ignored the bolded part.
But ur saying that the Lions only drafted based on high character. I don't see that as the case. It just so happened that the talent we brought in ALSO had a propensity for having good character.

What good has Josh Gordon been for the Browns? Tons of talent pissed away bc he can't follow rules. Wasted pick by them. That's just one example.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the words of the immortal Casey Stengel:

"They say some of my players drink whiskey, but I've found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ballgames."

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But ur saying that the Lions only drafted based on high character. I don't see that as the case. It just so happened that the talent we brought in ALSO had a propensity for having good character.

What good has Josh Gordon been for the Browns? Tons of talent pissed away bc he can't follow rules. Wasted pick by them. That's just one example.

A lions fan talking about other teams wasting picks?