• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Mayhew evolving?

Is he evolving ?

• Hell No!!

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Marginally, never more than mediocre

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Heading in right direction

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Becoming top ten GM?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post.
BUT youre asking a group of fans that absolutely hate the guy and everything is only seen I in a negative light and most theories are built on personal beliefs on how things should be done. Getting a solid response to this is completely unrealistic. On that, I'll come back and speak on this later.
Nobody hates him more than I do. I view him as a horrific GM. But you can't be a supporter of his and somehow think that was a bad move. If you believe in him as someone who a recent article said that he has learned from his mistakes, particularly in the draft then all he did was put a third round talent they thought of taking anyway on the roster now rather than a different third round talent next year. He is getting the hopeful contribution of that player now instead of next year. If it proves that it's the 10th pick in the third rd next year we gave up then he better be a good player. The silver lining of the downside where he isnt a good player and we gave up an early rd pick will be that Millenhew will be gone.

It's definitely a gamble. Like the pick we gave Jacksonville for a bust of a WR that still remains nameless to me. That pick the next year ended up as a sum loss. This is a third and if Wright does well then it's worth it. But if he doesn't it's a third rounder they gave up.

Mayhew's ability to drat does not make me feel warm and fuzzy over his selection. And not being n the group that fluffs Mayhew constantly I do question his moves. Since under his tenure the Lions have made 2 playoff games won 0 and have never had a home playoff game. You get the benefit of the doubt when you win.
I question all of his moves as well because overall I think he is an idiot and horrible GM. I am only speaking directly to the move to go get Wright. I think that is the type of move that good GM's make. Especially against the backdrop of having the extra comp picks next year. It's entirely about how he plays now. Austin seems to say good things and I even heard Kiper say that the kid in 2013 produced way more and looked like a real talent but didn't know what happened in 2014. Hopefully our staff gets him back to the potential he has shown before.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not saying individuals, Im saying the entire board.
Oh no man, not the group of Mayhew haters. The nameless former Jacksonville receiver. (I'm trying to start the week off with a buzz. Or at least have an excuse why I have a buzz.)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mt:suds:

loved that dude

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was a good move at that time

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep !

hindsight is................. well

you know

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody hates him more than I do. I view him as a horrific GM. But you can't be a supporter of his and somehow think that was a bad move. If you believe in him as someone who a recent article said that he has learned from his mistakes, particularly in the draft then all he did was put a third round talent they thought of taking anyway on the roster now rather than a different third round talent next year. He is getting the hopeful contribution of that player now instead of next year. If it proves that it's the 10th pick in the third rd next year we gave up then he better be a good player. The silver lining of the downside where he isnt a good player and we gave up an early rd pick will be that Millenhew will be gone.

I question all of his moves as well because overall I think he is an idiot and horrible GM. I am only speaking directly to the move to go get Wright. I think that is the type of move that good GM's make. Especially against the backdrop of having the extra comp picks next year. It's entirely about how he plays now. Austin seems to say good things and I even heard Kiper say that the kid in 2013 produced way more and looked like a real talent but didn't know what happened in 2014. Hopefully our staff gets him back to the potential he has shown before.
You think that one move would be enough to get him fired? That seems pretty extreme to me...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think that one move would be enough to get him fired? That seems pretty extreme to me...
I said if it ends up being an early pick in the 3rd rd. that would mean we stunk this year, and if that happens he damn sure better be fired

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Mayhew evolved? I say we're starting to see signs.

The draft: I certainly think Mayhew has reached the point where he's comfortable with his roster and he no longer has to make moves that are huge question marks to ensure the team has talent. I think the first couple of years there was a struggle with picking the right guys and when to take risks. I think that there was some issues with the scouting also. I think the past two drafts, he has demonstrated that there is a plan that still involves the BPA but is also characteristic of drafting guys that fit the system, are good men and have a strong football background. I think last year's playoff appearance is a mild indication that there has been a change and that we are seeing some results from draft decisions (starting with 2012), hiring staff and Free Agency moves.

Hiring: I think Mayhew has made some key decisions as of late also. Although unpopular, Caldwell was a good hire but there is still some left to be seen. It shows that Mayhew is identifying guys that can help with what the team needs the most; discipline and leadership. Mayhew has also upgraded and made some key decisions within the scouting personnel (hired a new director Scott McCewen along with Xanders) that has helped shaped that area up. It seems like the previous strategy wasn't effective.

Free Agency: Mayhew has always been rather strong in this area but I think what we saw this time is a direct indication that Mayhew understands Free Agency in a way that helps his team the most. He's shown that he's unwilling to overpay and now he's playing the system to benefit the team with the comp picks and such. Moving forward, it looks good for the team.

Overall, I'd contend that there has been some growth but there is still some things that are up in the air. If the Lions are successful this year, it would be hard to say he hasn't grown any.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post.
BUT youre asking a group of fans that absolutely hate the guy and everything is only seen I in a negative light and most theories are built on personal beliefs on how things should be done. Getting a solid response to this is completely unrealistic. On that, I'll come back and speak on this later.

Did you see the post above you. Meow agreed with a Mayhew move. He is one the biggest bashers. So if he can shed light on a good move anyone can be honest. It prolly stung a little, but none the less he did it.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely a gamble. Like the pick we gave Jacksonville for a bust of a WR that still remains nameless to me. That pick the next year ended up as a sum loss. This is a third and if Wright does well then it's worth it. But if he doesn't it's a third rounder they gave up.

Mayhew's ability to drat does not make me feel warm and fuzzy over his selection. And not being n the group that fluffs Mayhew constantly I do question his moves. Since under his tenure the Lions have made 2 playoff games won 0 and have never had a home playoff game. You get the benefit of the doubt when you win.

I agree after we see it play out. Any trade is a gamble. There is always risk vs. reward involved. This may be a Mike Thomas style trade, or it may not. For a 4th round selection does he have to live up to 1st round talent? With this crowd, prolly.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That trade of "sorry I said it earlier" completely sucked. Really don't need much production from this kid to be better than that trade.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree after we see it play out. Any trade is a gamble. There is always risk vs. reward involved. This may be a Mike Thomas style trade, or it may not. For a 4th round selection does he have to live up to 1st round talent? With this crowd, prolly.

Yeah, prolly

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said if it ends up being an early pick in the 3rd rd. that would mean we stunk this year, and if that happens he damn sure better be fired

That is what I think it takes to be fired. A absolute disaster of a season. Being a 7 win or more team and he prolly stays Tony Danza.

I wish there was more quotes or statements made by the Ford family to gage how they are viewing the FO. Mayhew has made at least two moves that wreak of desperation. So I'm wondering if there is pressure of win now or else. Never was old man Ford.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you truly believe what you typed out? If I'm not mistaken -- the guy you just said, great post to, is one of the group who can't stand Mayhew.

Just because many fans don't like Mayhew, doesn't mean they will never say anything good about him. I thought he should have been fired a while ago and I'm not fond of many of the picks he has made over the years. I don't have an issue saying he has done very well in FA and trades.

I know I'm part of the anti-Mayhew group, but I loved the fact he scrapped the BPA approach and went after positions of need this year. Does that mean I loved every player he picked? No. I loved pairing Tomlinson with Warford. I liked they addressed the running back position, but wasn't a big fan of Abdullah, as I would have rather went with Tevin Coleman, but that picked showed me the Lions were going after high character guys. I liked that we went after a CB in round 3, but was surprised we drafted one who struggled in man coverage, as that seems to be what Austin likes to go with.

Basically what I'm saying is -- this is a discussion board. Fans are going to agree and disagree on just about everything. Because someone doesn't like everything the team does, doesn't make them any less a fan of the team, it means they don't have an issue voicing their opinion -- it doesn't make them right and the team wrong. It is just what you get on a discussion board. If everyone on this board just agreed with everything the Lions did -- it'd be awfully boring.