• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Mayhew evolving?

Is he evolving ?

• Hell No!!

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Marginally, never more than mediocre

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Heading in right direction

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Becoming top ten GM?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree after we see it play out. Any trade is a gamble. There is always risk vs. reward involved. This may be a Mike Thomas style trade, or it may not. For a 4th round selection does he have to live up to 1st round talent? With this crowd, prolly.
:suds: :drink::kermit::spit:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew has made at least two moves that wreak of desperation. So I'm wondering if there is pressure of win now or else. Never was old man Ford.

If I had to take a guess. I think he knows he has to win now. If the Lions go back to a non-playoff team and a top 10 draft pick -- I think he will be looking for a new job.

I can't think of another reason why he would abandon his own draft approach he has used for the past, what, 6 years (I think that is how long he has been here)? Then again -- it could be...........I have multiple drafts with not a single draft pick left on the team and only 1 draft in 4 years where I had any type of production from my picks as rookies, so he decided to change it up.

So what I'm saying is -- I have no idea if he is being pressured or not to produce.:pound:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you truly believe what you typed out? If I'm not mistaken -- the guy you just said, great post to, is one of the group who can't stand Mayhew.

Just because many fans don't like Mayhew, doesn't mean they will never say anything good about him. I thought he should have been fired a while ago and I'm not fond of many of the picks he has made over the years. I don't have an issue saying he has done very well in FA and trades.

I know I'm part of the anti-Mayhew group, but I loved the fact he scrapped the BPA approach and went after positions of need this year. Does that mean I loved every player he picked? No. I loved pairing Tomlinson with Warford. I liked they addressed the running back position, but wasn't a big fan of Abdullah, as I would have rather went with Tevin Coleman, but that picked showed me the Lions were going after high character guys. I liked that we went after a CB in round 3, but was surprised we drafted one who struggled in man coverage, as that seems to be what Austin likes to go with.

Basically what I'm saying is -- this is a discussion board. Fans are going to agree and disagree on just about everything. Because someone doesn't like everything the team does, doesn't make them any less a fan of the team, it means they don't have an issue voicing their opinion -- it doesn't make them right and the team wrong. It is just what you get on a discussion board. If everyone on this board just agreed with everything the Lions did -- it'd be awfully boring.

You guys always take offense but thats not how you should take what I write. Im fune with people disliking Mayhew but it seems like most of the dislike comes from him not doing what the fans want him to. Look at what you just wrote. It always comes down to not liking a certain player, even if they havent even touched the field. I wanted Coleman too but I trust their judgement over mine always. Continue voice your opinion and I will continue also.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not ready to give up on Mayhew just yet. Drafting has been his achilles heal but 2013 and this years drafts I liked. His trades have been good. Cap Mgmt is more on Lewand though, but he has to assume some the blame. To me it looks like he is listening to Caldwell and Austin more this year. All the picks were high character and smart kids.

All that being said, I would have cleaned house with Millen and brought in a completely new GM and FO. We have to live in the real world though and that did not happen so we have to see how it goes. I think the team has turned the corner. Time will tell.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question:

Why would it be such a big deal even if he didn't use the BPA strategy? Doesn't make sense to have someone that can attack the draft in different ways? Do you really feel lied to?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad Eddie Murphy left SNL so early. He could have done a kick ass Miss Cleo.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you truly believe what you typed out? If I'm not mistaken -- the guy you just said, great post to, is one of the group who can't stand Mayhew.
That's like saying you are up in the air on how you feel about the Ebron pick

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question:

Why would it be such a big deal even if he didn't use the BPA strategy? Doesn't make sense to have someone that can attack the draft in different ways? Do you really feel lied to?

It wouldn't be a big deal. Anyone who watched the video when he responded that the Lions were still using the BPA approach knows he wasn't answering serious. He couldn't even keep a straight face when he answered the question.

I think it is quite obvious Detroit went for need and character this draft. So in essence, I guess you can say they still went the BPA route, but it was the BPA that filled a need and had high character.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys always take offense but thats not how you should take what I write. Im fune with people disliking Mayhew but it seems like most of the dislike comes from him not doing what the fans want him to. Look at what you just wrote. It always comes down to not liking a certain player, even if they havent even touched the field. I wanted Coleman too but I trust their judgement over mine always. Continue voice your opinion and I will continue also.

Of course it comes down to not liking a certain player -- his main job is handling player personnel moves. That is why fans dislike Mayhew, because they don't agree with the decisions he is making. That is what fans talk about.

When you don't get production out of your rookie classes 3 of the last 4 years -- fans get irritated. When you have 2 full draft classes in 6 years with no players on the team -- fans get irritated.

It is nothing personal against Mayhew. No one here knows anything about him other than what he does for the Lions. It comes with the territory of having a job in the public's eye. You've read my thoughts on Ebron -- I don't dislike Ebron as a person, I just think it was a stupid pick to make for the Lions.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question:

I could care less. I actually think BPA is not the best way to go at times. It's just that a segment of this board has been trying to convince me for 5 years that that's what he does simply because he says that's what he does. That's all.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question:

I really don't care what process is used. I just want them to get it right. IMO you can see a mixture of both in this draft.

I felt LG was the biggest need. Then DT... So IMO when they went on the clock at 28 I can very well see Brown and Tomlinson having the same grade. So the BPA was equal and they could have chosen the biggest need. Just a theory and I maybe completely off.

Now do I feel lied to... Nope because if you trust a any GM to be 100% honest, then that's on you. Many GMs will tell ya what makes them look right. Mayhew did actually tell some truths earlier before the draft and I was surprised.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't always take offense. I will slam a stupid move and praise what I perceive to be a good one. What you just wrote was my thoughts behind this thread. Mayhew has done things we said had to be done. So is he evolving? We as fans feel all too many times our opinions are the right way. So if he starts doing our ways, who is wrong?

I still feel it might be a case of too little, too late.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always said and do believe BPA was nothing more than BS for this is the guy I think will be a player. Since nobody on the board is in the war room he can say what he wants to justify his picks.

Because if Brandon Pettigrew, Nick Fairley, or Eric Ebron was BPA then the scouting department should be fired. They all were worthy of first round picks but I just can't see them being BPA when the Lions selected. And if Mayhew gets up and says they were the guys he needed these guys at their position fine. He is held accountable for selecting them regardless.

I think Mayhew is making safer picks or to use a cliche....not trying to hit every pick out of the park. Tomilson, Abdullah, and Carter were not huge reward guys but solid picks. Aaron Brown huge risk reward and so on.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think it would be kind of dumb for a GM to broadcast exactly what they do in the draft every year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think it would be kind of dumb for a GM to broadcast exactly what they do in the draft every year.

Why would it matter? Now if they broadcast their draft board before making their picks -- That'd be dumb. :)

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone can truly define BPA anyway. How do you weight the positions? Wouldn't skill positions always be rated higher? What if the best player was at a position where there were 10 other guys who were not too much worse? What if another position has no other viable players? Positions depth makes a difference. Too many variables to make that kind of judgement. I bet every team has their own definition of what BPA is.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less. I actually think BPA is not the best way to go at times. It's just that a segment of this board has been trying to convince me for 5 years that that's what he does simply because he says that's what he does. That's all.
BPA is like Santy Claws, or the Tooth Fairy.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew but it seems like most of the dislike comes from him not doing what the fans want him to.

Don't the fans technically pay his salary?