• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Mayhew evolving?

Is he evolving ?

• Hell No!!

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Marginally, never more than mediocre

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Heading in right direction

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Becoming top ten GM?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the words of the immortal Casey Stengel:

"They say some of my players drink whiskey, but I've found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ballgames."

Whiskey always made me a better outfielder.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a little article for you guys that don't think Mayhew has a connection with his coaches and staff members. I think this tells a lot about how they approach things and it makes sense.

Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew gives coaches veto power in draft process | MLive.com

Which I am guessing Washburn or somebody saw something they liked in Gabe Wright. That or saw his flaws as fixable. Going by his junior season tape? No clue... I'm still scratching my head a little on that pick. Gotta wait and see I guess.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which I am guessing Washburn or somebody saw something they liked in Gabe Wright. That or saw his flaws as fixable. Going by his junior season tape? No clue... I'm still scratching my head a little on that pick. Gotta wait and see I guess.

From what I have read, it was Austin that was pushing for that pick.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is easy to figure out if you ask me. Obviously they like the guy and I doubt they are looking at him as a potential starter. He’s clearly a rotation guy with some upside. I like how they identified him and went after him. It shows that they are confident in their coaching also.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise if you look at our picks this year. No head cases or thugs selected. All good smart kids. Caldwell must have had on a shirt that said VETO.

One of the reasons why I posted that is because of the Ebron pick also. It has been mentioned that Mayhew takes solely responsibility for that but I think everyone else was on board also.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is easy to figure out if you ask me. Obviously they like the guy and I doubt they are looking at him as a potential starter. He’s clearly a rotation guy with some upside. I like how they identified him and went after him. It shows that they are confident in their coaching also.

1) every coaching staff should be confident... I would damn sure hope so.

2) I am always behind any GM when it is their guy. ( constantly defend Martin pick)I was behind Freese also. It did not work out though.

3) Glad it is so easy for you to figure out. I've been told I'm dumb, so...I figure they like him, otherwise I question that confidence you speak of.

4) LS1 you see many moves in a different light than most here.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would not surprise me if he became a starter. I know the media hacks were saying he is just a rotational guy but Austin obviuosly saw something and this kid was very good before last season. My guess is he thinks it is something fixable. Austin could have taken Jarrett or Bennet and passed on them both. Jarrett is already a projected starter on his team. I think Wright will be in a few years too and might be able to step in by the middle of this year depending on how things go.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) every coaching staff should be confident... I would damn sure hope so.

2) I am always behind any GM when it is their guy. ( constantly defend Martin pick)I was behind Freese also. It did not work out though.

3) Glad it is so easy for you to figure out. I've been told I'm dumb, so...I figure they like him, otherwise I question that confidence you speak of.

4) LS1 you see many moves in a different light than most here.

Shouldn't we all look at it from a football perspective and put aside the crazy things we come up with? I think most fans only consider their opinions and the way things look on the outside instead of making logical sense out of things.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would not surprise me if he became a starter. I know the media hacks were saying he is just a rotational guy but Austin obviuosly saw something and this kid was very good before last season. My guess is he thinks it is something fixable. Austin could have taken Jarrett or Bennet and passed on them both. Jarrett is already a projected starter on his team. I think Wright will be in a few years too and might be able to step in by the middle of this year depending on how things go.

You might be right.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't we all look at it from a football perspective and put aside the crazy things we come up with? I think most fans only consider their opinions and the way things look on the outside instead of making logical sense out of things.

At times I might come up with some dumb bullshit but I got a kick out of some fans stating that
Mayhew just picks whoever he wants and has no connection with his star whatsoever. That right there is so illogical its not even funny. Lol

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At times I might come up with some dumb bullshit but I got a kick out of some fans stating that
Mayhew just picks whoever he wants and has no connection with his star whatsoever. That right there is so illogical its not even funny. Lol

Can agree there. Most do think with the perspective of football in mind. My perspective differs from yours.

You also have to realize that sometimes I view things you state as illogical excuses. That was makes it interesting here. No, not you, but all the different perspectives.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have seen constant remarks about picks that failed due to injury or character. Now that he drafted high character and healthy kids. It is viewed as wrong

I do understand the arguement La'el and the CB from Oregon. The risk is lowered. None the less he had a vision of better quality kids and stuck with it.

Had a vision of a run game and drafted such guys. Same vision others wanted. Myself included.

Some will.always complain.just like some will always think every move the lions make is gold. Lions addressing their oline was perfect. It's crushing that they lose suh, but otherwise mayhew finally addressed what he should have been addressing. I may have to modify my wins loss.record after that soilid draft.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"star" was suppose to be "staff" in that last post.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can agree there. Most do think with the perspective of football in mind. My perspective differs from yours.

You also have to realize that sometimes I view things you state as illogical excuses. That was makes it interesting here. No, not you, but all the different perspectives.

Surely you're speaking of Stafford but I don't know what excuses I've made for him.