• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Jack Roush past his prime?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, he let Mark Martin walk; then it was Kurt Busch; then Matt Kenseth finally had enough. Well, now it appears that both Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle are fed up with Roush's unwillingness to invest in top technology.

UPDATE: Old DW may have just spilled the beans on where Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle will wind up next season. And if Darrell Waltrip's body language and hinting is any indication, neither driver will be back with Roush Fenway Racing. During Sunday's prerace show on FOX, anchor Chris Myers asked Waltrip if the two free agents are leaving RFR, and if so, where will their new home in 2015 be. The first part of Waltrip's reply wasn't totally surprising. But then Waltrip dropped an obvious bombshell. Reaching over to put his right hand on the shoulder of younger brother Michael, who just happens to own Michael Waltrip Racing, DW's body language and then verbiage said it all - and left Michael staring straight ahead almost in shock. "And Greg Biffle will go to some two-car team that maybe one time had a third car," Darrell Waltrip said. In an attempt to quickly try and cover up what his older brother just said - and obviously deflect that scenario (probably because MWR isn't ready to make a potential announcement yet) - Michael gave his take on it. "Uhhhhhh, I think Carl goes and Greg stays," Michael Waltrip said. "I think the Biff stays at Roush, he's going to be the veteran, the anchor to that rookie lineup for the young guys that are going to race at Roush. So, he goes, the other cat stays."(NBC Sports)

AND: Another week and more speculation about the future of Roush Fenway Racing. The garage was filled with talk about what current veterans Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle will do come season's end as both have RFR contracts that expire this year. Neither driver nor RFR officials had any official comment but there seems to be some momentum to the scenario both drivers will depart and Edwards to Joe Gibbs Racing and Biffle to Michael Waltrip Racing are the leading rumors.(Motor Racing Network)(6-2-2014)

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it was any surprise when he let go of Busch as he was a mental case at that point. Martin still had some gas left in the tank when he left so that was a little surprising. As for Kenseth, I might be wrong but didn't Roush have trouble finding sponsors for him, so he went to Gibbs because they didn't have those issues?

I wouldn't be surprised if Edwards went over to Gibbs. I'm just wondering if he and Kenseth will get along since they didn't seem to be the best of friends while at Roush. Biffle I'm not sure about. On one hand, I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave for MWR since they have proven that they can have some good cars. On the other hand, Biffle might want to take the safe bet and possibly end his career over at Roush. But if both of them leave, I wonder if Roush would stay at 2 cars, tries to bring someone else over or sign someone else from the Nationwide Series (possibly a Regan Smith or Sam Hornish Jr.). Because if it's just Stenhouse and Bayne, I don't see too much success with those two drivers at the moment.

Nascar Addict

"Rootbeer's good for your root!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just doesn't have the cash to compete with the Evil Empire that is Hendrick Racing.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just doesn't have the cash to compete with the Evil Empire that is Hendrick Racing.

What about the year that Edwards tied Stewart for the title but lost on tiebreaker? Roush has tgebacking of the Boston Red Sox, perhaps the 3rd most recognizable sports brand behind Dallas Cowboys and NYY. I dont think money is the problem.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roush hasn't been that great a place to work for years now. The Fenway group brought money in, but they also changed a lot of the structure and how things were done. Amongst other things, they also screwed their engineering up through various decisions, something they even admitted publicly a couple of years back. It was so bad that at times they were getting outran by teams who were sub-leasing their own stock equipment. They also have in fighting between older racing employees, newer engineers without much stock car experience, and general business types. Notice over the years how it they only manage to seem to have 1 consistently competitive car while all the others struggle. It's no surprise that drivers, crews, shop employees flee. They're a mess. Ford should be thrilled it pouched Penske due to Dodge's negligence. It's only a matter of time before they make Penske the #1 factory supported team and I wouldn't put off Penske buying the Roush Yates engine shop either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is money as it is in most cases. But you have a pretty thorough grasp on Rousch/Fenway Turkey. When you have way more drivers available then rides, that is the beginning of the end. Two or three super teams are running NASCAR and not much else. Soon it'll become a glorified IROC series and that is when it will collapse.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Biffle is going to end up staying with Roush:

UPDATE: Biffle and his primary sponsor, 3M, will remain with Roush Fenway Racing, multiple sources have confirmed to the Charlotte Observer. An official announcement of contract extensions for Biffle and the sponsor with RFR could come as soon as this coming week, sources said.A team spokesman said the organization would continue its policy of not commenting on drivers' contract status until an official announcement was made.(Charlotte Observer)(6-9-2014)

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Biffle is going to end up staying with Roush:

UPDATE: Biffle and his primary sponsor, 3M, will remain with Roush Fenway Racing, multiple sources have confirmed to the Charlotte Observer. An official announcement of contract extensions for Biffle and the sponsor with RFR could come as soon as this coming week, sources said.A team spokesman said the organization would continue its policy of not commenting on drivers' contract status until an official announcement was made.(Charlotte Observer)(6-9-2014)

That is his best move, IMO. He will be top dog at Roush now, and should get all of the good stuff. If he would have went to Gibbs, he would definitely be behind Kenseth, Busch and Hamlin. If he would have went to MWR, he would have definitely been behind Bowyer.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is his best move, IMO. He will be top dog at Roush now, and should get all of the good stuff. If he would have went to Gibbs, he would definitely be behind Kenseth, Busch and Hamlin. If he would have went to MWR, he would have definitely been behind Bowyer.

I was curious when the rumors were flying, if he would land with Ganassi.
Roush has been known to be cheap, compared to others when it is financial, Ganassi would pay for what he wants. So if that was the sticking point originally, Larson (the next superstar) is still a rookie & McMurray is a journey man. Even though Ganassi was never in the media spotlight. When I heard Biffle was leaving this was the 1st place I thought.