• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Internship Over for Kaepernick?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaepernick the starter?
11:49AM ET

Colin Kaepernick | 49ers

After a one-year internship working under Alex Smith in the Jim Harbaugh-Greg Roman school of offensive football -- and with a full offseason ahead, thanks to the lack of a lockout this year -- rising second-year pro Colin Kaepernick feels that he is ready to mount a serious challenge for the San Francisco 49ers' starting quarterback job.

In an interview with the Reno Gazette-Journal, Kaepernick responded to a reader-submitted question as to his aims for the 2012 campaign. "I plan on being in San Francisco and plan on trying to take the starting job," Kaepernick responded. "That's what your goal is as a football player."

He also added that he believes he'll get "a fair shot" at wrangling the starting job away from Smith -- who, as we know, is unsigned, but expected back. With a full spring and summer of working with Harbaugh, Roman and the rest, this could be quite a battle in training camp.

- Tim Kavanagh​

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't argue with the attitude. I don't expect anything less from the guy.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, luv that attitude, now back it up.

QB competition doesn't hurt.... But what will be the deciding factor or who will have the edge if it gets close towards the end of the offseason?

Of course if Alex is resigned...

I am looking forward for Prime, i hope he's mentally smart and confident enough.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it. Not saying Kap will set the league on fire, but he WILL be better bang for the buck than Alex.

Incoming! :lm:

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Love it. Not saying Kap will set the league on fire, but he WILL be better bang for the buck than Alex.

Bang for the buck means jack crap when you go 8-8. It is retarded to invest 4 mil more in a WR and another 4 in a CB if you are rolling the dice with a QB who could easily have a early Vince Young type year.

3000 total yards and 20 TDs but also 30 turnovers.

He could play good but that doesn't make you right. It was a retarded bet to begin with and won by dumb luck.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

does 'bang for the buck' mean he'll play over his $1.6M cap hit? so we'll be satisfied with a $4M performance over a $10M one?

in this situation we're in now, why are we being cheap? why are we trying to save $8M with the entire "winning chemistry" at stake?

why are we purposely going backwards when we don't have to?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bang for the buck means jack crap when you go 8-8. It is retarded to invest 4 mil more in a WR and another 4 in a CB if you are rolling the dice with a QB who could easily have a early Vince Young type year.

3000 total yards and 20 TDs but also 30 turnovers.

He could play good but that doesn't make you right. It was a retarded bet to begin with and won by dumb luck.

Lol, why stop at 8-8? Why not 6-10, 4-12, or 2-14? I think you're giving Kap too much credit. If he starts then our defense, running game, and special teams all will regress a great deal. No way he carries this team the way Smith did last season.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does 'bang for the buck' mean he'll play over his $1.6M cap hit? so we'll be satisfied with a $4M performance over a $10M one?

in this situation we're in now, why are we being cheap? why are we trying to save $8M with the entire "winning chemistry" at stake?

why are we purposely going backwards when we don't have to?

That's where we differ. I don't think Kap would be that much of a down step from Alex. Let's agree to disagree.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't argue with the attitude. I don't expect anything less from the guy.

Yeah it's good he's got some fire but I didn't expect anything less either. Nothing like a good old QB controversy stoked by the media!

Either way competition will be good, but I don't expect a change will actually occur.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah it's good he's got some fire but I didn't expect anything less either. Nothing like a good old QB controversy stoked by the media!

Either way competition will be good, but I don't expect a change will actually occur.

That...

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the challenge for Kaepernick will be to manage the turnovers as well as Alex Smith did.

If he can do that, I think in every other aspect his ceiling is higher than Alex. He's more athletic than Alex, stronger arm than Alex, better scrambler than Alex, quicker release than Alex, more zip on the ball than Alex.

Throwing accuracy not sure about.

Also you cannot refer back to last year's preseason games, those are meaningless now.
The only valid game tape you have on Kap is the 3 completions he made against Tampa in garbage time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's where we differ. I don't think Kap would be that much of a down step from Alex. Let's agree to disagree.

yeah ok, guess we'll have to.

btw - not claiming CK can't be as good as Alex ever, but for me its the timing of it. odds are it'll take him a season if not more?

anyways.................

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I also think it would be a wise hedge bet to bring back Alex for next year.

Then let Alex and Kap battle it out in preseason, with a full offseason under their belts, and let the best QB win the job.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought I read somewhere that Alex was retiring to become a caddy...

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the challenge for Kaepernick will be to manage the turnovers as well as Alex Smith did.

If he can do that, I think in every other aspect his ceiling is higher than Alex. He's more athletic than Alex, stronger arm than Alex, better scrambler than Alex, quicker release than Alex, more zip on the ball than Alex.

Throwing accuracy not sure about.

Also you cannot refer back to last year's preseason games, those are meaningless now.
The only valid game tape you have on Kap is the 3 completions he made against Tampa in garbage time.

I just read that Smith's INT rate was the 3rd lowest ever.

I find that hard to believe (I think it is accurate though), but there's just no possible way CK comes in and matches that. Rookies/1st-time starters just historically do not even come close to that kind of ball protection - and no one should expect that from CK or any other 1st-time starter that's just not fair.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just read that Smith's INT rate was the 3rd lowest ever.

I find that hard to believe (I think it is accurate though), but there's just no possible way CK comes in and matches that. Rookies/1st-time starters just historically do not even come close to that kind of ball protection - and no one should expect that from CK or any other 1st-time starter that's just not fair.

And to think that 3 maybe even 4 of his 5 INT's were not entirely his fault...