• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ifedi

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle Seahawks: Germain Ifedi, OT/G, Texas A&M A- Grade
If the Seahawks had stayed put and chosen Germain Ifedi at No. 26, I would've given this a solid "B" grade. It's a very logical pick. Ifedi is the sort of athletic player the Seahawks covet. He also fills a big need. Russell Wilson's pass protection was disastrous last season, and it was bound to get even worse with Russell Okung gone. Taking an offensive lineman early was a must.

This "B" turns into an A- because of the trade. The Seahawks were targeting Ifedi all along at No. 26, so it's outstanding that they were able to move down and still acquire him.
Read more at Live 2016 NFL Draft Grades - WalterFootball.com

Spot on Walterfootball.com

I make up my own opinions and gave a B grade initially, B+ because of the trade. Almost entirely agreeing with one of my favorite draft analysts Walter football (here's the link for the timestamp: 2016 NFL Draft Thread).

Love the pick, good grade, GREAT value with the trade to Denver. Seattle's interior line evaporated to Star/Short. That has to be shored up. While Okung is gone, Seattle needs to find a more reliable and consistent option at Guard as well, especially with Wilson's scrambling ability where the edges are suspect.

Great grade. Love the pick. Haven't been this excited since Okung/Thomas in a LOADED (possibly best if not best all time) draft class.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see you on the + side Shark.:suds:I come in peace.
I love this move, an extra 3, #94 booya.

AND, still get the guy we wanted.

IF they didn't want Ifedi, they would have traded again. FACT. Great job JS.

Now, be prove you are better than Garnett.:yes:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some scouting reports:

Here's a scouting report on Ifedi from NFL.com's Lance Zeirlein.

STRENGTHS Outstanding length and overall mass. Has played guard and tackle and has ability to play either as a pro. Has athleticism to protect edge as a tackle and can step and catch late or sudden bursts inside. Good hand strength with ability to latch and lock up pass rushers when he lands punch inside the frame. At his best when getting on top of pass rushers with quick-sets. Has reactive athleticism to respond to twists and blitzes. Uses length and foot quickness to open recovery doors that might slam on other linemen. Flashes hip explosion to torque defenders out of the hole as a run blocker. Has body control and change of direction talent to be a successful second level blocker. Nastier play demeanor than former Aggie tackle, Cedric Ogbuehi.

WEAKNESSES Offensive scheme limited ability to fire out. Tries to snatch with hands and hang on rather than securing blocks with leg drive. Inconsistent depth of pass sets opens up edge. Timing of combo blocks needs work. Gets in a hurry and doesn't always get first block secured. Uses more of a kick stomp than fluid kick slide. High pad level on down blocks limits leg drive to secure. Passive vertical pass sets allow easy pocket squeeze. Needs to eliminate habit of leaning into blocks. Too content to stalemate rather than dominate. Patience and discipline is a problem in pass protection. Lunges rather than letting the rep come to him.

Here's what Dane Brugler at NFLDraftScout.com had to say.

STRENGTHS: Built well for the NFL with a wide base and broad shoulders, making it a chore for rushers to get around him. Stout and tough to move, rarely put on his heels.
Light lower body, moving well laterally to cut off speed and seal. Quick feet to set up shop and mirror in space. Nice job with angles to wall of run lanes. Vines for arms, using his reach to absorb rushers and create separation between him and defenders. Aggressive in protection with the upper-body strength to control blocks.

Three-year starter with experience at both tackle and guard (37 career starts).

WEAKNESSES: Wide stance, but allows his base to narrow due to sloppy footwork. Retreats too much off the snap and gets lazy with his feet. Heavy leaner with a bad habit of lunging at the waist in his pass-sets.

Tall pad level and plays with hip tightness, struggling to bend consistently at his knees. Late and wild hands, allowing rushers to attack his body and jolt him. Unreliable mechanics and poor hand placement, hugging defenders.

Needs to improve his focus to eliminate false start penalties. Tends to get complacent, falling asleep at the wheel. Missed two games his sophomore season due to a grade two MCL knee sprain (Nov. 2014).

Here's what Tony Pauline wrote in his scouting report:

Positive: Three-year starter who's lined up at right tackle and guard. Versatile and athletic offensive line prospect with upside. Quick in all aspects of his game, fundamentally sound and blocks with leverage. Keeps his feet and hands active, strong at the point and moves defenders off the line to open up the running lanes. Stays square, makes good use of angles and displays footwork off the edge. Shows ability as a position blocker and nicely adjusts or recovers back to balance when defending against speed rushers. Quick out to the 2nd level and effective in motion.

Negative: Bends at the waist which hurts his balance. Inconsistent with his hands and does not properly places them into opponents. Lacks the dominant base in pass protection.

Analysis: Ifedi was a consistent three-year starter at Texas A&M and possesses the size, growth potential and upside to start at a variety of offensive line positions on Sunday.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lately you were hearing his name mentioned more and more as a potential target of the Hawks with the 26 pick. He's got a great frame and held his own against SEC defenses for 3 years as a starter. Been very reliable and he's reported to be very physical in the trenches. Doesn't take shit from no one and great against edge rushers.

We made out like bandits on the deal as Pete Carroll mentioned they had at least 4 teams called about a trade for our 26 when we were getting close to pick time and were able to squeeze Denver the most to get that 3rd from them. And we still ended up with the player who was one of our targets. Schneider is a Fn draft ninja.

It's possible in the long run he ends up at RT, but he's extremely versatile and can play both Tackle and Guard. A very nice addition to the Oline and I wouldn't be surprised if we used one of those 3rd round picks on a versatile guard prospect tomorrow.

I bet Wilson is happy with this pick. Ifedi will assist in buying him some more time to get those passes off and a little less scramble for your life action.

Go Hawks!!!!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm reading on him is presenting a common theme. He's rookie starter material. Built like a beast: 6'6", 320, and a impressive wingspan with long arms and big OL mits for hands. Will most likely be competing for the starting RT spot in 2016, but could spend some time at RG as well.

But many are saying he will need work on developing his blocking for thr NFL game. That A&Ms spread system isn't a good prep for the NFL and he's still gonna have a some work to do to transition to the pro game.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know next to nothing about the player, but the position makes sense and picking up an extra 3rd round pick to do it makes it seem like the first round was a success.

Would have been really happy had we held at 26 and taken the DT that the Cards ended up with, however. He has some off-field black marks but that stuff doesn't worry me as much with the group we have.

Looking forward to today's 5(?) picks.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know next to nothing about the player, but the position makes sense and picking up an extra 3rd round pick to do it makes it seem like the first round was a success.

Would have been really happy had we held at 26 and taken the DT that the Cards ended up with, however. He has some off-field black marks but that stuff doesn't worry me as much with the group we have.

Looking forward to today's 5(?) picks.

Cards will have a very good dl.... they traded for chandler Jones as well

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to B&S this morning, Saulk seems to think Ifedi coming on board is going to push Britt out of the starting lineup. The thinking is Ifedi will play RT, Webb slides over to LG, and Britt hits the pine.

Whatever happens probably will be born out of competition, but I thought that was an interesting comment because I guess I just assumed Webb & Ifedi will just duke it out at RT with the loser being the backup at that position.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to B&S this morning, Saulk seems to think Ifedi coming on board is going to push Britt out of the starting lineup. The thinking is Ifedi will play RT, Webb slides over to LG, and Britt hits the pine.

Whatever happens probably will be born out of competition, but I thought that was an interesting comment because I guess I just assumed Webb & Ifedi will just duke it out at RT with the loser being the backup at that position.

If Britt is gonna hit the pine were not done drafting for that O-line ..... We need another good prospect .. I think Britt might still be around though, books not closed on him just yet...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that we took OL and got another pick, but i remain skeptical about letting cable pick them, he has a piss poor track record so far.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm reading on him is presenting a common theme. He's rookie starter material. Built like a beast: 6'6", 320, and a impressive wingspan with long arms and big OL mits for hands. Will most likely be competing for the starting RT spot in 2016, but could spend some time at RG as well.

But many are saying he will need work on developing his blocking for thr NFL game. That A&Ms spread system isn't a good prep for the NFL and he's still gonna have a some work to do to transition to the pro game.
I'm seeing more of the latter. I thought it was a good pick last night as I mentioned on the general board. That was based mainly on the eye test. I don't view Oline stats very often. But now many experts saying he's a project, not a good pass blocker, takes too many penalties. Nice getting that 3rd rounder but now I'm questioning the pick. Like we say with all draft picks only time will tell, right?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jc, how do u guys know cable is/has been picking all these ol? Doesn't Schneider make the picks?

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I started to look at this draft I was hoping to draft DT Robert Nkemdiche, but after reading about him, I soon realized that he does not fit Carrol's always compete attitude. We will risk some off the field character concerns but on the filed we go after the guy who loves football, plays with chip on his shoulder and always competes. This admitting to taking plays off, probably dropped his value on the Seahawks draft board. Our culture is a big part of our success.

I do like this draft pick, we got ourselves a much needed OL with good size, good feet and a special body type (wing span). But more important we also got another third round pick out of the deal. Schneider says that usually they have a 130 to 140 players on their draft board but this year they have over 200 players. They really like a lot of players so having that third 3rd round pick is huge.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jc, how do u guys know cable is/has been picking all these ol? Doesn't Schneider make the picks?
Yeah, I don't quite get that inference either. They put the board together and then use the board to make the picks. Does Cable have "some" input on how the board looks? I suppose he probably does to a degree, but it's also not like when our pick comes up JS decides we are going to take a lineman and then turns to Cable and says, "Ok, who is it gonna be?" Not even close.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've actually changed my mind some what on the Cable making the OL picks. Listening to JS and PC this year, I've come to realize they are all on the same page, as far as what they want from a OL. Still think that Cable over estimate pass blocking ability from prospects though. Just listening to him talk on the matter from picks from the past makes me cringe. I do feel a change in the air, I'm really thinking the Seahawks are going to get the OL fixed this year. Gilliam looks good ( at least in the second half of the season), Glowinski I have high hopes for, Sokili seems to have Pete convinced he could be special, I pretty sure we see more OL drafted and this is the right draft to do it. :nod:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This pick address our weakness on the line, and snag Denver's 3rd I'd say is a successful first night. I say for tonight we'll get another o-line guy, 2 d-line guys and a linebacker. Just a guess of course.