• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If we don't win the Super Bowl this year, it's going to be long for another shot

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been seeing a lot of responses from people being ok with paying Kap 20mil/year.

Well, you saw what paying a QB 20mil does to a team. Kap is worth half of Joe Flacco's contract. I don't know about ya'll, but I'd rather have a dynasty and keep most of our stars instead of overpaying a QB.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you mean the other way around. If we win the Super Bowl then e jump to paying kap outrageous numbers. Honestly kap has to prove this yr he can keep us as a contender. But if we win the Super Bowl then he cashes in and then it's harder to sign people.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well, you saw what paying a QB 20mil does to a team.

Are you serious? Did you read what you just wrote?

This is why I don't have a high opinion of football fans in general. They're running down the street with a bottle of champagne saying "greatest of all time" after a regular season win and they're jumping out of a sky scraper after a regular season loss saying "there's no hope."

...Except for Raider fans who tip over cars, burn things and shoot people after a loss and tip over cars, burn things and shoot people after a win.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been seeing a lot of responses from people being ok with paying Kap 20mil/year.

Well, you saw what paying a QB 20mil does to a team. Kap is worth half of Joe Flacco's contract. I don't know about ya'll, but I'd rather have a dynasty and keep most of our stars instead of overpaying a QB.

So wait, you are basing this all off of one game? And the first game of the season at that??

:lame::lol::wtf2:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man those poor Patriot fans having to put up with Tom Brady's contract killing their team all these years....

See some QB's are worth the money. Flacco just never was worth it, but the Ravens were desperate.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
See some QB's are worth the money. Flacco just never was worth it, but the Ravens were desperate.

Flacco was worth every cent. A franchise QB is obscenely expensive (especially now in the defense-not-allowed NFL).

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To answer my own question:

Manning "makes" (talking cap number) 17.5M this year, 21.5M in 2014 and 21.5M in 2015.

Over that stretch Flacco's cap numbers are 6.8m in 2013, 14.8M in 2014 and 14.55M in 2015.

So the QB that cost more in the NFL universe won big time today. Without Von Miller.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco was worth every cent. A franchise QB is obscenely expensive (especially now in the defense-not-allowed NFL).

Flacco is a starting NFL QB no doubt, but I'm not sold on him being a Franchise guy. He is not worth Manning, Rodgers, or Brady dollars. He is probably not even worth Kaep's upcoming conract. Flacco and Eli are both fairly similar QB's. They are both above the middle of the pack but just below the top tier guys. However both were able to put together outstanding playoff runs with some luck thrown in along the way to win them a title. I'd give the edge to Eli though since he has at least done it twice and put together better seasons as a passer.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Flacco is a starting NFL QB no doubt, but I'm not sold on him being a Franchise guy. He is not worth Manning, Rodgers, or Brady dollars.

You can't look at it statically. Every time a franchise QB signs a new contract, it's either close to the largest or the largest contract ever signed. If Aaron Rodgers were a FA the same offseason as Flacco, Rodegers would've gotten a lot more money than Flacco did.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap leads us to a win in the Superbowl, then he will be paid nicely. Its all up to him to accept or negotiate any deal that he wishes to sign.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious? Did you read what you just wrote?

This is why I don't have a high opinion of football fans in general. They're running down the street with a bottle of champagne saying "greatest of all time" after a regular season win and they're jumping out of a sky scraper after a regular season loss saying "there's no hope."

...Except for Raider fans who tip over cars, burn things and shoot people after a loss and tip over cars, burn things and shoot people after a win.

Used this post on two separate threads huh??? Word for word! Copy & Paste I presume?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt that any of these young QBs are going to be in the position to demand Rodgers/Manning money for at least 4-5 years. We will most likely see Kap and Wilson receive extensions that will pay them 10 mil or so if they keep up good play after 2-3 years, but they're not going to give them 20-25 mil until that early. Unless of course they put the pressure on the front office because they're absolutely dominating and removing all doubt, then anything is possible. But in that case, who cares about paying that much for a very young elite QB?

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You can't look at it statically. Every time a franchise QB signs a new contract, it's either close to the largest or the largest contract ever signed. If Aaron Rodgers were a FA the same offseason as Flacco, Rodegers would've gotten a lot more money than Flacco did.

Rodgers did pretty good with extension!:clap:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take it from a fan of a team that hasn't had a young franchise QB in YEARS... (Warner was a stop gap)
YOU NEED TO OVERPAY FOR A QB. Franchise QB's don't come around too often so lock yours up while you can. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have a QB you can only go so far.

To judge Flacco off of one game is really dumb. While I don't think he was essentially worth the money he got, he did help lead them to a Super Bowl and that is never easy to do and if they didn't overpay him then some other team would and they'd be left with no QB. There's nothing worse then having a terrible QB situation.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The fact of the matter is if you want to be in the mix year in and year out you need an elite franchise QB.

The key to keeping that window open is you need a GM that drafts successfully and plays with the numbers well when it comes to contracts. The players mainly care about the guaranteed money so there are ways to front load and back load contracts to give yourself cap flexibility when you need it to be able to retain players. Obviously you can't retain them all but you should be able to keep quite a few if you play your cards right.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The major turning points in this game were the injuries to Jones and particularly to Oher. Prior to Oher going down, Denver couldn't get any pressure and the Ravens were sustaining long drives. After that, with a rookie RT in, and limited options in the passing game, it got ugly. The Ravens' O couldn't stay on the field, which led to a) Manning getting into a serious groove, and b) the Ravens' D wearing out in the first game of the season at 5,280 feet. I'm certainly not saying the Ravens win but for that, but those injuries were a huge blow to that offense.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money we will be paying our LB core after Aldon's extension is what is going to really hinder us. Our QB #'s will likely be on par with the rest of the elite teams, with elite qb's. The good news is that there should be a pretty significant cap increase after 2015. It will be very tricky to keep all these guys together past next year, but the reality is it can be done. Not saying I hope we follow their model, but Dallas signs people to stupid contracts all the time and just push the money into the future. The cap is very flexible.