• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If we are being honest about it, DeVonta Smith is going to establish himself as the best WR in the league within the next 3 years.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your opinion, what are the several areas that he has big question marks in?
Don't get me wrong, he has a lot of great attributes but he has issues that might hinder his NFL career. He could be great, or he could get beat up/pushed around too often.

-Size
-Strength
-Durability
-Catching through contact
-Ability hold up and/or break loose from the line against NFL DBs.
-Top speed
-Blocking

Nothing you have presented in this thread has convinced me these are not concerns.
If he tends to get eaten up by stronger players, like many small WRs before him have, then his career could suffer.
Of course many smaller WRs have succeeded, so of course he could have a great career. But he needs to prove that he can overcome his weaknesses somehow.
Maybe he can put on 10-15 lbs of muscle in the next couple of years working with NFL level training and staff? That certainly couldn't hurt him on the field.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, he has a lot of great attributes but he has issues that might hinder his NFL career. He could be great, or he could get beat up/pushed around too often.

-Size
-Strength
-Durability
-Catching through contact
-Ability hold up and/or break loose from the line against NFL DBs.
-Top speed
-Blocking

Nothing you have presented in this thread has convinced me these are not concerns.
If he tends to get eaten up by stronger players, like many small WRs before him have, then his career could suffer.
Of course many smaller WRs have succeeded, so of course he could have a great career. But he needs to prove that he can overcome his weaknesses somehow.
Maybe he can put on 10-15 lbs of muscle in the next couple of years working with NFL level training and staff? That certainly couldn't hurt him on the field.

Wait wait wait. A few posts ago you are saying he is likely not to succeed because he is a highly athletic guy and a smaller slower less athletic WR is much more likely to succeed than him. Now you're saying your concerns include not having top end speed, size and strength.

Sounds like you're just a hater grasping for whatever you can to doom him in your perspective because there doesn't appear to much consistency of your criticisms of him.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also crazy how size, strength, durability and catching through contact is a weakness for you when none of those things were at all an issue for him when he had one of the greatest collegic careers of any WR ever as he played in the top conference against NFL talent and future NFL talent.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dude is small isn't here?

View attachment 274660

Taller but thinner than one of his comps

Marvin_Harrison_in_2007_Training_Camp_2.jpg

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait wait wait. A few posts ago you are saying he is likely not to succeed because he is a highly athletic guy and a smaller slower less athletic WR is much more likely to succeed than him. Now you're saying your concerns include not having top end speed, size and strength.

Sounds like you're just a hater grasping for whatever you can to doom him in your perspective because there doesn't appear to much consistency of your criticisms of him.
Now you are intentionally misinterpreting what I wrote. At no point did I ever say a smaller, slower, less athletic WR has a better chance of success than a bigger, faster, more athletic WR. What I said was uber athleticism does not guarantee success and the article provides examples.

Lol @ your ridiculous hater comment also. I even stated that he does have a good chance to succeed, and wished him the best (more power to him if he does).

What I did state is that there are concerns about his game, and they are valid. Your lack of ability to acknowledge that his detriments might negatively affect his career is the most ridiculous part of the thread.

But whatever. You are obviously all in on your new hometown boy, which is fine. It just lacks any degree of impartial judgement when you say stuff like he is "going to be the best WR in the league in 3 years" when he does have question marks.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also crazy how size, strength, durability and catching through contact is a weakness for you when none of those things were at all an issue for him when he had one of the greatest collegic careers of any WR ever as he played in the top conference against NFL talent and future NFL talent.
All of these attributes are still question marks to one extent or another at the NFL level. Since he does have a strong background in his collegiate career, these concerns are lessened, but they still exist.

Again, he has a good chance to succeed and good luck to him (still chuckling at your immediate drop back to "your a hater" stance) but crowning him a HOF player at this point is absolutely ridiculous on your part. He might have HOF talent but so do a few dozen rookies this year and most will not reach those heights. Get back to me when has actually proven he is "the best wr in the league within 3 years" and I will gladly given him due credit.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you better be preparing that giving credit post. It will be due within the next 3 years.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why he would be #4 when he is the best WR in the division.

Are we talking about Smith or Raegor? Or Fulgham? Or D Jax?
Sorry, but I just have a little trouble keeping up with who you say the best WR in the division is. I'll check back in December. I'm guessing maybe you'll be on to Arcega-Whiteside by then...

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you better be preparing that giving credit post. It will be due within the next 3 years.
I'm giving credit for Pederson as HOF coach and AMVP Wentz, I was wrong on both of them

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm giving credit for Pederson as HOF coach and AMVP Wentz, I was wrong on both of them

Pederson will be coaching a team next year. He will rightfully be one of the most sought after coaches. I see him probably landing in Chicago to coach Fields.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pederson will be coaching a team next year. He will rightfully be one of the most sought after coaches. I see him probably landing in Chicago to coach Fields.
That's what I'm saying and thinking Wentz will be fine in Indy

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taller but thinner than one of his comps

Marvin_Harrison_in_2007_Training_Camp_2.jpg
or....
he can end up being like
Image result for Tavon Austin

not even a #1 WR but makes a big play here & there so you can talk about him like he was D-Jax.
Or was that @PhoenixEagles1 that was saying that about D-Jax.

Probably both of you.

Point being he could become Harrison, but doubtful comparing Qb scenarios throwing them the ball or be the next Tavon Austin. (or anything in between)

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gladly will if it happens. Odds are it will not. That is the entire point.

He could be playing great and a top 10 WR in 3 years and still not be "the best in the league" as per your prediction.

Hopefully he stays healthy. If so, at least it gives him a chance. But staying healthy might be a big task unto itself considering his frame.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or....
he can end up being like
Image result for Tavon Austin

not even a #1 WR but makes a big play here & there so you can talk about him like he was D-Jax.
Or was that @PhoenixEagles1 that was saying that about D-Jax.

Probably both of you.

Point being he could become Harrison, but doubtful comparing Qb scenarios throwing them the ball or be the next Tavon Austin. (or anything in between)

But he doesn't compare to Tavon Austin at all...not even similiar playstyles whatsoever...

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gladly will if it happens. Odds are it will not. That is the entire point.

He could be playing great and a top 10 WR in 3 years and still not be "the best in the league" as per your prediction.

Hopefully he stays healthy. If so, at least it gives him a chance. But staying healthy might be a big task unto itself considering his frame.

There is no basis for that. Someone's frame doesn't determine if they are going to stay healthy or not.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no basis for that. Someone's frame doesn't determine if they are going to stay healthy or not.
While your statement is not wholly untrue, a smaller frame and muscular structure makes you more susceptible to damage when being hit by a bigger person. It is just physics and common sense. I'm assuming you've played football before.

But this can vary by individual. Maybe Smith is one of those guys that can avoid taking big hits, or has the "Mick Foley" genetics that will keep him from getting too hurt. He had hand, shoulder, knee, and hip injuries in college, but nothing of major significance. We will just have to wait and see.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While your statement is not wholly untrue, a smaller frame and muscular structure makes you more susceptible to damage when being hit by a bigger person. It is just physics and common sense. I'm assuming you've played football before.

But this can vary by individual. Maybe Smith is one of those guys that can avoid taking big hits, or has the "Mick Foley" genetics that will keep him from getting too hurt. He had hand, shoulder, knee, and hip injuries in college, but nothing of major significance. We will just have to wait and see.

There is no satirical basis to back that up. It's just a perception by you that doesn't have any factual backing.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the general hope when you draft a WR top, idk if he will be top 3 or not because I cant see the future, but if he does then cool.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no satirical basis to back that up. It's just a perception by you that doesn't have any factual backing.
Yes, that is why sports like boxing and MMA don't have weight classes: because smaller guys can directly compete against larger guys on an even scale with no increased odds of getting hurt.
<yes, sarcasm. no, I will not use green font for it>

I'm not trying to be an ass about it. It is common knowledge, common sense, and basic physics. Now, as I noted, individuals can overcome this but generally speaking it is true.

If a 170 lb WR gets lit up by a 250 lb LB, the WR is going to get the worst of it and have the greater chance of injury.

PS: you are correct in that there is no "satirical basis". I assume you mean scientific? Statisical?