• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If the Lions are smart they trade Megatron

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So if the Lions franchise Calvin Johsnon next offseason it'll come at a cost of over 25 million dollars. That's going to destroy their cap. So basically he is going to be a FA at the end of the year. Even if they do franchise him he'd cost over 30 Million to franchise the nest season.

The only way he won't be a FA is if they extend his contract this offseason IMO. And if he hits URFA I don't think it's likely he comes back. Why? Who would want ot live in Detroit if you don't have to?

If they can't get an extention for him they should trade him. They could get 2 first rounders and maybe a 2nd & a 3rd as well. His value will never be higher.

Also where would Calvin go? That's right: New England. He wouldn't go to Atlanta 'cause they already have a gluttony of WRs. He wouldn't go to Dallas for the same reason. He wouldn't go to Miami 'cause Marshall's already there. He might go to San Diego, but they might re-sign V-Jackson.

Oh also the Lions are an up and coming team, but they're not quite elite yet. So they have to do whatever it takes to keep Calvin Johnson from going to the Patriots because Calvin on the Patroits = very low chances the Lions could win a SB if they faced 'em. Who could cover Brady's passes to Welker, Gronk, Hernandez & Calvin? That would be worse than 2007 with Moss there.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
1. If Calvin hits URFA do you think there would be a good chance he returns to Detroit?

2. If not what is greater? Calvin Johnson at a cost of 20+ million for 1 season or the huge amount of draft picks they could get for the right to negotiate a long term contract?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit will do anything possible to keep Megatron...

keep Megatron = Detroit relevance....

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if they let him hit the market. I don't see them being in a Mario Williams situation with him. The Texans just have no cap space to re-sign Mario unless he gives them a discount. The Lions will make sure they have the room for Megatron. He could decide to walk away, but they will do everything to try and prevent that out come.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Detroit will do anything possible to keep Megatron...

keep Megatron = Detroit relevance....

I agree. But they can only offer him a huge contract; however his agent can simply take that offer and use it as leverage to get just as much or more from another team in FA.

The entire reason for this thinking is because the Lioins effeectively can't use the tag on him.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how good the Lions are on offense because of him, there's no way the Lions are not going to work something out. Plus, with Stafford at QB, Megatron has no reason to leave. Since the only thing that holds WRs back are bad QBs, that isn't a problem in Detroit.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Considering how good the Lions are on offense because of him, there's no way the Lions are not going to work something out.
That's just the point. The Lioins will offer the world to keep him. However, whatever the Lions offer him in a long term deal he can get from some other team. Therefore the Lions have NO leverage at all. If he had the franchise tag it would be different; the Lions could let some other team offer a contract and then just match it. But since he's more than likely to hit URFA that won't happen.

I would say the exact same thing if he played for the Bills (even if the Bills were an up and coming team with a good QB).

Moreover: who wants to play for a coach who gets upset from too hard a hand shake? :)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, yeah, even though we all see him as a douche for his behavior in the 49ers games, his players still love him for that. They see it as a guy who got disrespected and stood up for himself...

The leverage the Lions have is Stafford. The Cardinals had to pay out the nose because they don't have a QB, it cost them 180mil to keep Fitz. 120 for him, and the 60 for Kolb.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Stafford is a good reason to stay, but Tom Brady is a better reason to leave.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford is a good reason to stay, but Tom Brady is a better reason to leave.

Yeah, thats really the only threat. If a team like the Patriots decide to go all in to get Tommy one last ring, or maybe the Saints too. But, I'd hope Megatron realizes that Staffod is going to be around a lot longer than Brady or Brees.

I don't know though man, if I were Megatron. I'd want to be one of the guys who delivered Detroit their first Super Bowl Championship. It kinda makes you a god in those cities...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't know though man, if I were Megatron. I'd want to be one of the guys who delivered Detroit their first Super Bowl Championship. It kinda makes you a god in those cities...

I think you'd feel differently if you had to live in Detroit. :)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't think so. In two years time Stafford will be better than Brady. Not better than Brady in his prime, but better at that point.

Even with Brady at age 36 that's a pretty steep mountain to climb.

Also if San Diego doesn't re-sign Vjax then you'd be hard pressed to find a better fit than one of the nices cities in the U.S. and a top 5 QB in his prime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Brady at age 36 that's a pretty steep mountain to climb.

Also if San Diego doesn't re-sign Vjax then you'd be hard pressed to find a better fit than one of the nices cities in the U.S. and a top 5 QB in his prime.

So you think this season was just a fluke for Rivers? He was not exactly top 5 material this last year. He threw a lot of picks and under performed in some key games. If he was our QB this last year we would have been ripping him a new one all year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So you think this season was just a fluke for Rivers? He was not exactly top 5 material this last year.

A fluke, a bad year... whatever it is Rivers was arguably the best QB in the NFL over the 5 years prior to the 2011 season.

Eli had like 25 picks last year, but he came back with a vengeance. Rivers is right up there with Brady & Brees IMO.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So you think this season was just a fluke for Rivers? He was not exactly top 5 material this last year. He threw a lot of picks and under performed in some key games. If he was our QB this last year we would have been ripping him a new one all year.

I think Rivers had a fluke first half of the season. He threw 11 TDs and 14 INTs in the first 8 games and16 TDs and 6 INTs in the last 8.

He threw 15 TDs and17 INTs in the first 10 games and 12 TDs and 3 INTs in the last 6.

His second half of the season was typical Phil Rivers. The first half was an anomaly.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, I don't see him as a top 5 QB though. I think as his weapons are getting worst more of his flaws are showing. We will see how good he is if they lose Jackson and don't do something to make up for it.

With guys like Brees, Brady, and Manning (the older one...ugh I guess the younger one too) You see them lose a weapon and suddenly gain another because they are so good they make others look like stars. I don't think Rivers is that level of a QB. He can prove me wrong this coming year if all he has is Gates and Matthews.