• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If the Lions are smart they trade Megatron

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are getting the 25mil from? Is that the 120% increase rule in the new CBA? Because with the new CBA franchising cost is actually down. For WRs it was ~11mil last year to ~9mil this year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Where are getting the 25mil from? Is that the 120% increase rule in the new CBA? Because with the new CBA franchising cost is actually down. For WRs it was ~11mil last year to ~9mil this year.

From the new CBA:

which average shall be calculated by: (1) summing the amounts of the Franchise Tags for players at that position for the five preceding League Years; (2) dividing the resulting amount by the sum of the Salary Caps for the five preceding League Years (using the average of the amounts of the 2009 and 2011 Salary Caps as the Salary Cap amount for the 2010 League Year); and (3) multiplying the resulting percentage by the Salary Cap for the upcoming League Year (e.g., when calculating the Tender for the 2012 League Year, dividing the aggregate sum of the Franchise Tags for players at that position for the 2007–2011 League Years by the aggregate sum of the Salary Caps for the 2007–2011 League Years and multiplying the result by the amount of the Salary Cap for the 2012 League Year) (the "Cap Percentage Average") (See Appendix E for an illustrative example); or (B) 120% of his Prior Year Salary, whichever is greater

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Detroit will do everything in their power to keep Megatron. They have a good young QB along with an improving defense. They need help with their secondary. It is so difficult to get that true #1 receiver. Look at the Niners. They have been without one since Owens left and are still looking for that "go-to" wideout.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rivers had a fluke first half of the season. He threw 11 TDs and 14 INTs in the first 8 games and16 TDs and 6 INTs in the last 8.

He threw 15 TDs and17 INTs in the first 10 games and 12 TDs and 3 INTs in the last 6.

His second half of the season was typical Phil Rivers. The first half was an anomaly.

Some people say the reverse about Alex Smith's 2010 year. "His first half (pre-Singletary exchange) of the season was typical Alex Smith. The second half (post) was an anomaly."

Pre-Exchange - 106-174 (60.9%), 1106 yards (6.4 ypa), 4 TDs, 8 INTs, 67.8 QBR
Post-Exchange - 98-168 (58.3%), 1264 yards (7.5 ypa), 10 TDs, 2 INTs, 96.9 QBR
2011 Season - 273-445 (61.3%), 3144 yards (7.1 ypa), 17 TDs, 5 INTs, 90.7 QBR

I know this isn't a valid argument, as you can't split a game or season, second half opponents are different SOS than first half, and when Alex is in do-or-die situations he is more aggressive. But your post reminded me of that stat. I threw 2011 in just for the heck of it as a comparison or trend perhaps (not for sure).

Last edited by a moderator:

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, I don't see him as a top 5 QB though. I think as his weapons are getting worst more of his flaws are showing. We will see how good he is if they lose Jackson and don't do something to make up for it.

With guys like Brees, Brady, and Manning (the older one...ugh I guess the younger one too) You see them lose a weapon and suddenly gain another because they are so good they make others look like stars. I don't think Rivers is that level of a QB. He can prove me wrong this coming year if all he has is Gates and Matthews.

But look at what he did last year with no Jackson for most of the year, a hobbled Gates, and Floyd hurt most of the year too. I think he is a top 5ish QB. Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Brady, you can even slide in Eli... after those guys, I'm not seeing better QBs out there than him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think he is a top 5ish QB. Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Brady, you can even slide in Eli... after those guys, I'm not seeing better QBs out there than him.

I Rivers is just as good as anyone in the NFL as a regular season QB, and I'd even put him up there with Brees as a postseason QB because I think he got robbed by the ref's in the 2007 / 2008 AFC Championship game. In fact I think he's been the best regular season QB in the NFL over the last 6 years.

Best Postseason QB over the last 6 years? Gotta hand it to Eli. He's been amazing lately.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, thats really the only threat. If a team like the Patriots decide to go all in to get Tommy one last ring, or maybe the Saints too. But, I'd hope Megatron realizes that Staffod is going to be around a lot longer than Brady or Brees.

I don't know though man, if I were Megatron. I'd want to be one of the guys who delivered Detroit their first Super Bowl Championship. It kinda makes you a god in those cities...

have to agree here, Detroit is a play-off team and still on the upswing. if they were still a bad team, i'd look to leave.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kyle sure did

:drum: For some reason though, that doesn't make me laugh. I actually feel a bit sad. I'd be upset if he were the only cause, but since he wasn't, I'm just sad.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
have to agree here, Detroit is a play-off team and still on the upswing. if they were still a bad team, i'd look to leave.

I think the chances that Calvin gives a crap about the Lions winning their first SB more than the Patriots winning their 4th VS the Chargers winning their first if he were a part of those teams is extremely small. It sounds nice, but I don't think it's realistic.

Also consider: The Lions only have just about ZERO cap space right now, and Cliff Avril is a FA.

Here's my prediction: If Calvin doesn't sign an extention before the season starts (and I don't see how that could happen) he's gone the following year. And these are the teams teams who realistically could sign him and would be a good fit for him:

1st tier: New England, San Diego
2nd Tier: New Orleans (if they don't re-sign Colston). Tennessee Titans (if Locker pans out this year; they have a ton of cap space).

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:drum: For some reason though, that doesn't make me laugh. I actually feel a bit sad. I'd be upset if he were the only cause, but since he wasn't, I'm just sad.

crap field conditions made it a defensive struggle. smith and vernon made enough plays early on to take that game.

eli has played great but it seems like the stars just align for this guy. velcro on a helmet and a kick returner completely blowing a game not once but twice? i just think eli is getting way too much credit.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The only way he won't be a FA is if they extend his contract this offseason IMO. And if he hits URFA I don't think it's likely he comes back. Why? Who would want ot live in Detroit if you don't have to?

So this is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, but still true.

My dream was trading for Luck and signing Calvin next offseason. It was a nice dream. :(

...at least the Pats didn't get him.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the chances that Calvin gives a crap about the Lions winning their first SB more than the Patriots winning their 4th VS the Chargers winning their first if he were a part of those teams is extremely small. It sounds nice, but I don't think it's realistic.

Also consider: The Lions only have just about ZERO cap space right now, and Cliff Avril is a FA.

Here's my prediction: If Calvin doesn't sign an extention before the season starts (and I don't see how that could happen) he's gone the following year. And these are the teams teams who realistically could sign him and would be a good fit for him:

1st tier: New England, San Diego
2nd Tier: New Orleans (if they don't re-sign Colston). Tennessee Titans (if Locker pans out this year; they have a ton of cap space).

top players cost more money, thats the way it is. so if every NFL team thought like you, they'd never have any top players.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
top players cost more money, thats the way it is. so if every NFL team thought like you, they'd never have any top players.

You just made zero sense. My point was that if the Lions don't get an extension done for Calvin before the season starts he's going to be gone. When did I say he doens't deserve top money? I've said all along he's the best WR in the game and probably would have been the most valuable URFA since Julius Peppers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You just made zero sense. My point was that if the Lions don't get an extension done for Calvin before the season starts he's going to be gone. When did I say he doens't deserve top money? I've said all along he's the best WR in the game and probably would have been the most valuable URFA since Julius Peppers.

guess this is moot now that he has a new extension?

you're the one who's ALWAYS looking to trade top players, that what i was addressing.