• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Marvin Lewis still has a job....

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches yell at opposing players all the time....should they be doing it while on the field...no, and that's why Porter is likely to get a fine...for a ref to flag him...he would've had to be close enough to hear it...maybe he was and just missed it.

You can at least give Burfict credit for trying to make a football play. Adams pushing a coach, ref, someone not in a player's uniform is pure lack is discipline...I can't bail him out on that one.
Adams is an idiot. Both Pacman and Burfict are idiots. That is why it is so easy to pile on them and avoid the other issues. I hold coaches to a higher standard. They are supposed to be there to help maintain order, not incite it. It's being completely ignored, but the Steeler's coaching staff is developing a pattern of poor behavior.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought and still do think he was trying to deliver a knock out blow...was he trying to hit him in the head...idk that's a question for Burfict, but a blow above the shoulders to a defenseless player is a penalty...that's all I'm saying. They got the call right on the field.

If he was attempting to hit him in the head do you think he would have pulled his arms in? That doesn't make sense. He would have delivered a nice forearm shiver. I think you are projecting his history on to this play.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porter is getting fined and should have received a penalty. It doesn't, in any way, excuse Burfict nor Jones, but the Steelers got a lucky break... simple as that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we, as well as the LEAGUE, can't bail Porter out either.

You seem to be in denial in his role in this, and the FACT he should have been flagged.

No...I've said several times Porter was out there running his mouth...and I've also said this was a case of the instigator not being caught...doesn't that happen a lot in the NFL? He didn't throw any punches, so a ref would have to be within earshot to really throw a flag.

Should have been flagged...yes. It's not horrible officiating if they didn't hear what the guy said to trigger Adams.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was attempting to hit him in the head do you think he would have pulled his arms in? That doesn't make sense. He would have delivered a nice forearm shiver. I think you are projecting his history on to this play.

Leave my thoughts out of it because you're right, I am projecting his history into the play....but remember attempting, or intent is not in play here...did Burfict make contact with a defenseless WR above the shoulder? Yes, or No.

If you say yes...we're on the same page. If you say no...we can agree to disagree.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I didn't understand was why Tomlin said in the postgame that both teams represented what AFC North football is all about. Bad choice of words for sure.

Given what had just played out for 60 mins....I agree.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get this straight. POSITION coaches are NOT ALLOWED ON THE FIELD. PERIOD.

A HC can be on the field.....but not a minor coach. The flag should have been thrown the SECOND he stepped on the field.

This is in the rule book. The call should have been on Porter, and the NFL has ALREADY CONFIRMED THIS. This really isn't debatable.

You're right...Porter was allowed on the field because of the concern for Brown according to the statements I have seen. If it was just a case of him being on the field, then more than Porter should have been flagged...as I saw other Steeler coaches (not Tomlin) out there.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are jumping all over Burfict, but Shaziers hit on Bernard was 10x worse. He took 2 steps, but was still completely blindsided by a guy who launched at him with the crown of his helmet square in the chin.

Before any more talk about "dirty" hits, the league needs to get its act together and figure out a comprehensive policy on hitting and what is or isn't legal. Even the awful "targeting" rule in NCAA is better than the NFL's rules currently.

I think both hits were equally bad. I know the media loves to pile on Burfict as their way of justifying shitting all over the kid before the draft.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are jumping all over Burfict, but Shaziers hit on Bernard was 10x worse. He took 2 steps, but was still completely blindsided by a guy who launched at him with the crown of his helmet square in the chin.

Before any more talk about "dirty" hits, the league needs to get its act together and figure out a comprehensive policy on hitting and what is or isn't legal. Even the awful "targeting" rule in NCAA is better than the NFL's rules currently.

Neither hit was "dirty" imo. One was deemed legal by the rules today...the other was not.

Shazier...the players was deemed a "runner" because of the 2 steps he took after securing the ball...Burfict...the player was just coming down from jumping for the ball when contacted.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither hit was "dirty" imo. One was deemed legal by the rules today...the other was not.

Shazier...the players was deemed a "runner" because of the 2 steps he took after securing the ball...Burfict...the player was just coming down from jumping for the ball when contacted.
It was not deemed legal. It was missed.

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, I think that Vontaze Burfict's hit needed to be flagged. In today's NFL, with all the flags thrown every week for weaker hits to that area, you have to flag Burfict there. Especially given his history. Comparing that hit to the Shazier hit isn't fair. Giovani had time to turn his head and make a few steps. Hitting a player in the helmet at that point is legal, though it is unfortunate that Bernard got hurt.

When it comes to Joey Porter, I find myself thinking back to when he was a player. Joey was great at getting under people's skin and making people play with their emotions rather than just playing football. I'm sure he's aware of the rules that pertain to him being on the field. I don't think being on the field should be the issue. He's on the field supposedly to tend to Brown. I don't like that he goes to the Bengals players and starts doing his classic Joey Porter shit talking, but if you're Pacman Jones, you CANNOT afford to start swinging and pushing when referees are in a group of people like that. I would've called offsetting penalties there.

When it comes to Mike Munchak, I find myself thinking of Troy Polamalu getting his hair pulled by Larry Johnson many years ago. Now, this is under different circumstances, but I'm not sure exactly what happened. I don't think Munchak tried to grab his hair. It seemed to me like he was grabbing whatever he could in order to convey a message or whatever he was trying to do. I could be wrong. He was flagged for it. But asking for anything more than a penalty for that is ridiculous to me.

And when it comes to Mike Tomlin's postgame, I think his words are being misconstrued. He is commenting on the style of game it was more than the specific moments. To me, I took it as "that was an old school, Pittsburgh-Baltimore style football game". It was very physical and both teams came to play. I don't think he would suggest that the AFC North is all about "head hunting" or punching refs or any of that.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay...Is this an opinion? Or your interpretation or the rule?
The rule has been posted here in other threads.

I will highlight the portion that applies. It seemed pretty clear to me that Shazier lowered his head and hit the player with the crown of his helmet violently. Notice that it does not matter whether he hit the player in the helmet (which he did). Where am I wrong?

RULE 12 PLAYER CONDUCT

Article 8 (unnecessary roughness)

g) If a player uses any part of his helmet (including
the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or
facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently

or unnecessarily.

Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards.
The player may be disqualified if the action is
judged by the
official(s) to be flagrant.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right...Porter was allowed on the field because of the concern for Brown according to the statements I have seen. If it was just a case of him being on the field, then more than Porter should have been flagged...as I saw other Steeler coaches (not Tomlin) out there.
....lol,...that penalty on Munchack was bad enough,....I could only imagine what came out of Porter's "potty-mOuth",..?!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will highlight the portion that applies. It seemed pretty clear to me that Shazier lowered his head and hit the player with the crown of his helmet violently. Notice that it does not matter whether he hit the player in the helmet (which he did). Where am I wrong?

RULE 12 PLAYER CONDUCT

or unnecessarily.

judged by the

You are right. Shazier hit was just dangerous for himself and the RB. He hit with the top of his helmet. It is the exact tackle they are trying to take out of the game from Pop Warner to the NFL. Burfict's hit is a bit more complicated. It's a shoulder that hits a player's helmet. 4 inches either way and it's legal. I get calling it, but of the 2 Shaziers is unquestionably a flag

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RULE 12 PLAYER CONDUCT

or unnecessarily.

judged by the

He did lead with his helmet which I thought you could still do against a runner. Helmet to helmet is okay to a runner...Spearing was not in play...he did ram him violently with the helmet but imo not excessively.

In my eyes I thought it was a clean hit, but I understand I might have bias colored lenses.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cue people say Mike Pereira sucks and doesn't know what he's talking about. And then cue people saying because you post on the internet you know more than one of the heads of officiating.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did lead with his helmet which I thought you could still do against a runner. Helmet to helmet is okay to a runner...Spearing was not in play...he did ram him violently with the helmet but imo not excessively.

In my eyes I thought it was a clean hit, but I understand I might have bias colored lenses.
He knocked him unconscious. How hard, in your opinion, does a guy have to hit someone for it to be excessive?