• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Marvin Lewis still has a job....

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cue people say Mike Pereira sucks and doesn't know what he's talking about. And then cue people saying because you post on the internet you know more than one of the heads of officiating.
The guy on NFL Network last night was saying exactly the opposite.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cue people say Mike Pereira sucks and doesn't know what he's talking about. And then cue people saying because you post on the internet you know more than one of the heads of officiating.

It's pretty clear he led with the crown of the helmet. He does have incentive to protect the calls. This is my biggest complaint of the rules. A form tackle can end up being a flag and in this case an official is trying to defend a player leading with his head. It's makes no sense

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knocked him unconscious. How hard, in your opinion, does a guy have to hit someone for it to be excessive?

Unfortunate...granted, it was a hard lick but he got knockout because he hit him in the head area.

Even though it looked clean to me...To be honest, it was close enough that if it had been called for a flag, I would not have fussed. Nto so much you, but what gets me about this game is some people are trying to make it seem as if PIT somehow gained an upper hand because of the refs...BS.

The reality is PIT was penalized more times and for more yardage than CIN...the difference is CIN's flags were at the end of the game.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunate...granted, it was a hard lick but he got knockout because he hit him in the head area.

Even though it looked clean to me...To be honest, it was close enough that if it had been called for a flag, I would not have fussed. Nto so much you, but what gets me about this game is some people are trying to make it seem as if PIT somehow gained an upper hand because of the refs...BS.

The reality is PIT was penalized more times and for more yardage than CIN...the difference is CIN's flags were at the end of the game.
which of the missed calls for the Bengals resulted in the Steelers turning the ball over? Deep in Bengals' territory? Where they would have had a very make-able field goal if they couldn't get the ball in the end zone after the penalty (which would have resulted in the the Steelers having the ball around the 11 yard line?)?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which of the missed calls for the Bengals resulted in the Steelers turning the ball over? Deep in Bengals' territory? Where they would have had a very make-able field goal if they couldn't get the ball in the end zone after the penalty (which would have resulted in the the Steelers having the ball around the 11 yard line?)?

Sorry...not following you...I don't want to put words in your mouth. Tough, hard fought game, chippy even, but I think CIN did more damage to their chances to win the game than missed calls by the refs.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry...not following you...I don't want to put words in your mouth. Tough, hard fought game, chippy even, but I think CIN did more damage to their chances to win the game than missed calls by the refs.
On the play where Shazier was not called for roughing. The ball was at the Steelers' 23 yard line. After the penalty, the Bengals would have had the ball at the 11.5, 1st and 10.

It was a HUGE non-call. Nothing like that happened to the Steelers in that game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the play where Shazier was not called for roughing. The ball was at the Steelers' 23 yard line. After the penalty, the Bengals would have had the ball at the 11.5, 1st and 10.

It was a HUGE non-call. Nothing like that happened to the Steelers in that game.

This in bold is where we separate on this one...at some point you become a runner after securing a catch. The refs felt he was a runner...no missed call imo, but I a can appreciate your opinion, it was a bang bang play.

Last edited:

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This in bold is where we separate on this one...at some point you become a runner after securing a catch. The refs felt he was a runner...no missed call imo, but I a can appreciate your opinion, it was a bang bang play.
We disagree, but at least my opinion doesn't ignore the rule because if he didn't strike Bernard violently with the crown of his helmet, that never happens ever in football.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We disagree, but at least my opinion doesn't ignore the rule because if he didn't strike Bernard violently with the crown of his helmet, that never happens ever in football.

Yep we do...never happens ever in football...okay...even though we disagree, still enjoyed the debate.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Shazier hit is just another controversial hit that falls in the grey area of the rule book. I could go either way on it. Gio was able to turn & plant before getting tagged, in other words he was classified as a runner at that point. It would have been flagged if he got hit as he was turning. But to say that Shazier's hit was clean is far from accurate. Regardless of whether the guy with the ball is classified as a runner or receiver, there is still a rule that states a defender cannot use the crown of his helmet to hit another player in the head when it can be avoided. Obviously not exact wording, but you get the point. Shazier did not need to hit him in the head. He had time to decide where he was going to hit, and he chose to go high.

But if anyone is trying to claim that hit was on the same dirty level as the hit Burfict threw on AB then that is ridiculous... Burfict's hit was unnecessary, and downright malicious.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep we do...never happens ever in football...okay...even though we disagree, still enjoyed the debate.
The Shazier hit is just another controversial hit that falls in the grey area of the rule book. I could go either way on it. Gio was able to turn & plant before getting tagged, in other words he was classified as a runner at that point. It would have been flagged if he got hit as he was turning. But to say that Shazier's hit was clean is far from accurate. Regardless of whether the guy with the ball is classified as a runner or receiver, there is still a rule that states a defender cannot use the crown of his helmet to hit another player in the head when it can be avoided. Obviously not exact wording, but you get the point. Shazier did not need to hit him in the head. He had time to decide where he was going to hit, and he chose to go high.

But if anyone is trying to claim that hit was on the same dirty level as the hit Burfict threw on AB then that is ridiculous... Burfict's hit was unnecessary, and downright malicious.

Please stop with whether he was a runner. It has nothing to do with the rule. Burfuct's hit has no relevance here. If it wasn't illegal they should remove the rule.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please stop with whether he was a runner. It has nothing to do with the rule. Burfuct's hit has no relevance here. If it wasn't illegal they should remove the rule.

Maybe Face brought up Burfict's hit, idt I did.

In either case...I'll leave you with this...If I'm wrong please correct me, what I'm gathering from your posts on this topic is that any hard or violent helmet to helmet contact should be a penalty, it doesn't matter if they are a runner or not.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In either case...I'll leave you with this...If I'm wrong please correct me, what I'm gathering from your posts on this topic is that any hard or violent helmet to helmet contact should be a penalty, it doesn't matter if they are a runner or not.

Just my opinion, but the answer is yes. With the distinction that the contact using the crown of the helmet is always a penalty. You wrap up and facemasks hit, well that is just football. Tackling with your head down and initiating contact with the crown of your helmet is just dangerous on multiple levels. Keep in mind that I come from the perspective that regulating helmet to helmet contact is near impossible. Players heads are changing levels and the action occurs in fractions of a second. I believe safety is best served by regulating the type of hits, not the area.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but the answer is yes. With the distinction that the contact using the crown of the helmet is always a penalty. You wrap up and facemasks hit, well that is just football. Tackling with your head down and initiating contact with the crown of your helmet is just dangerous on multiple levels. Keep in mind that I come from the perspective that regulating helmet to helmet contact is near impossible. Players heads are changing levels and the action occurs in fractions of a second. I believe safety is best served by regulating the type of hits, not the area.

I can go with that because I'm all for player safety within the confines of a violent game, but we're asking for something that is difficult to accomplish...training, coaching, etc is involved here because when ball carriers brace for impact, instinctively they lower their head...even if the defender is not leading with the crown, Idt we're going to do away with h-t-h contact because most of it happens in the trenches actually, but I agree with regulating that type of contact.

The Moose

The Moose is loose!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can go with that because I'm all for player safety within the confines of a violent game, but we're asking for something that is difficult to accomplish...training, coaching, etc is involved here because when ball carriers brace for impact, instinctively they lower their head...even if the defender is not leading with the crown, Idt we're going to do away with h-t-h contact because most of it happens in the trenches actually, but I agree with regulating that type of contact.
Here's what I want to know. Why wasn't Porter penalized for being on the field and jawing with the Cincy players? Mind you, I don't follow either team. I think Burfict should have been ejected for that cheap shot. But I think Porter should have been flagged along with Jones.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I want to know. Why wasn't Porter penalized for being on the field and jawing with the Cincy players? Mind you, I don't follow either team. I think Burfict should have been ejected for that cheap shot. But I think Porter should have been flagged along with Jones.

I've learned something this weekend...by rule apparently only the HC and trainers are allowed on the field during injury TOs, but they relax this rule when it appears the player might be seriously hurt. FWIW..it wasn't just Porter, PIT had at least 2 other position coaches on the field...there is some video floating around to support that.

So...if they had followed the letter of the rule, yes, PIT should have gotten a flag.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not exactly. Any contact with the crown of the helmet violently is what the rule states.. Does not matter if the target is the helmet.