• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Still Really Like Bruce Irvin, Despite His Low Sack Total

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Even though he doesn't get a ton of sacks, I still think he makes our defense significantly better. He made a key interception in our road win against the Rams last year and a key pick 6 in our win against the Raiders this year. Also, I think it makes it tougher on the opposing offense to have to account for a guy like Irvin who can rush from the DE spot and also athletic enough to drop back and cover RBs and sometimes even WRs. Irvin's stats aren't particularly good, but he helps our defense out in some ways that can't be quantified, IMHO.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's better as a pass rusher than linebacker/pass defender, in my humble opinion.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin's play at outside linebacker is pretty good if you ask me, His ability to keep the play inside and holding the edge is light years better than last season and he improves almost every game. His speed is second to none also. He is learning and learning fast and his read and react skills are excellent compared to how they were when he was a rookie. I remember seeing him run past the ball carrier going for the sack when he was a rookie and now he is playing much more controlled. He is the 3rd best LB on this team now. You couldn't say that last year.

there is a reason he is starting before the Superbowl MVP Smith.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made some really stupid mistakes in critical situations earlier this year but he seems to have avoided this lately.
I still worry about him having a mental fart and screwing things up. I think that he is better as a situational pass rusher but I hope he proves me wrong.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think things are starting to click for Irvin. He is playing a lot smarter, for sure.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin's turning into a really good all around player. I really like his game this year. Nice to see it all come together for him.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin's turning into a really good all around player. I really like his game LATELY. Nice to see it all come together for him.

Corrected.

He was fucking horrible earlier in the year. His mental mistakes (penalties in particular) killed us in a couple of games. His out of bounds sideline hit very much potentially cost us a game.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin had another great game in Santa Clara. Mostly in the run game, but he collapsed the pocket well and he's been fast as hell in coverage earlier in the year.

Too early to give up on this guy IMO. I think he'll be more than just the situational pass rusher we heard about early on.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still dont like him. A first round draft pick should have their name mentioned more than 2 or 3 times a game (half of those times are penalties). Very little output from the guy. I pray we don't sign him to another contract. Mediocre player at best.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still dont like him. A first round draft pick should have their name mentioned more than 2 or 3 times a game (half of those times are penalties). Very little output from the guy. I pray we don't sign him to another contract. Mediocre player at best.

Didn't you say similar things about Pete and Russell?

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't go as far as tzorn at all. I think that he has played very well in recent games but I have not forgotten his poor play earlier this year. I hope he keeps it up because he has great athletic talent but he seems to be lacking in the mental intricacies at times.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Wagner back has clearly helped his play. Now he can roam and use his athleticism more while Wagner gets all the dirty work done in the middle. I was just about through with him but he's been great the last couple of weeks. But I don't think he's worth a ton because he needs someone like Wagner in the middle to make up for his deficiencies.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't you say similar things about Pete and Russell?

I said worse things about Russell, but he played really well and made me eat crow. There is absolutely no indication that Irvin can do the same. What does this guy do that causes all of you people to like him? I'll tell you what it is already, he puts on a Seahawks uniform and that's it. He has done nothing to garner the praise that he receives around here. He's a less then average player and will never be anything more.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we drafted Irving, there were some red flags, several. It appears he has gotten his life together and we can only judge that by his lack of being in the news. Congratulations on that. We have a lot of players who don't get the press or accolades but each week they are an integral part of the game plan.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we drafted Irving, there were some red flags, several. It appears he has gotten his life together and we can only judge that by his lack of being in the news. Congratulations on that. We have a lot of players who don't get the press or accolades but each week they are an integral part of the game plan.

This ^^^

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He starts so there's got to be something said about that, but he does very little when he's on the field. I've watched him come up through when he played for WVU and thought he was terribly overrated there and when we picked him with a first round pick, I nearly died. I understand why Carroll drafted him, but I knew it wasn't going to work out. He makes 2 or 3 plays a game and that's about it. Oh well, I'm beating a dead horse. I'll never like the guy as a player and I hope he gets let go when the contract is up. We can do better then him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He starts so there's got to be something said about that, but he does very little when he's on the field. I've watched him come up through when he played for WVU and thought he was terribly overrated there and when we picked him with a first round pick, I nearly died. I understand why Carroll drafted him, but I knew it wasn't going to work out. He makes 2 or 3 plays a game and that's about it. Oh well, I'm beating a dead horse. I'll never like the guy as a player and I hope he gets let go when the contract is up. We can do better then him.

He hasn't live up to where he was drafted, but he's no Aaron Curry. He's a viable NFL player, if the Seahawks don't resign him, some other team will. Kind of a shame, because I think he has gotten better, but some other team will most likely reap the benefits in the future.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His versatility is so key. The man can line up at two different LB positions as well as rush passer effectively with his hand in the dirt. In effect he creates another roster spot for us by being able to do that. And he is disruptive. His raw speed off the edge has to be accounted for, as the Panthers learned the hard way. He will make the QB move around on a deep drop unless the man blocking him has help. That said, he's almost TOO fast. I saw at least two plays on Thursday where he blew by Staley, but his momentum pushed him a step past Kaep. Both times Kaep had to step up (once into the rush), but a slight change in his angle would have resulted in a sack. A team playing a Wide Nine formation would snap him up in a heart beat. He's tailor made for it.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His versatility is so key. The man can line up at two different LB positions as well as rush passer effectively with his hand in the dirt. In effect he creates another roster spot for us by being able to do that. And he is disruptive. His raw speed off the edge has to be accounted for, as the Panthers learned the hard way. He will make the QB move around on a deep drop unless the man blocking him has help. That said, he's almost TOO fast. I saw at least two plays on Thursday where he blew by Staley, but his momentum pushed him a step past Kaep. Both times Kaep had to step up (once into the rush), but a slight change in his angle would have resulted in a sack. A team playing a Wide Nine formation would snap him up in a heart beat. He's tailor made for it.

See, that was two games ago. What has he done lately? I watched him specifically Thursday (as I usually do every game), and he got abused for the majority of it. I'm not saying he's worthless like Curry was, but some more consistency would be nice. He'll make a couple of decent plays in a game and then become invisible for the remainder of it. Frustrating. I guess I just expect more from a first round draft pick.