• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I just bought my first cast iron skillet

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I bought. I went with the 13.25" because a 12" seemed just barely on the small side for bacon. Does anybody care to share a few tips with me?

I also ordered this, this, this, and these (to store grease) to go along with it. I don't plan on using that many mason jars to store grease but you can never have too many of those things.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never used a conditioner before. Let us know how it works. Was it preseasoned or do you need to rub it with some crisco and season it? I do use the pot scrapers too. They work well. I have some old school crockery for my bacon grease storage.

th?&id=OIP.Mc4de86883b00335d7e957be60f985584o0&w=246&h=184&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

Cleaning your cast iron skillets

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never used a conditioner before. Let us know how it works. Was it preseasoned or do you need to rub it with some crisco and season it? I do use the pot scrapers too. They work well. I have some old school crockery for my bacon grease storage.

View attachment 99896

Cleaning your cast iron skillets
It does come preseasoned but I think I'm going to season it a few times before I use it for the first time.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will make the best cornbread you ever made. Crispy crust. MMMMmmmmm.

Outside of that, I just don't use mine for much of anything else.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got one for Christmas and used it a handful of times. Clearly read up on the care. I seasoned mine with vegetable oil. Nothing more significant than that. Warmed it up to open the pores, spread some on, continued to bake for about 25 min upside down in the oven (throw some aluminum foil down incase for any drips.

Haven't used scrapers on it. Just wiped it out with a paper towel while still warm

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will make the best cornbread you ever made. Crispy crust. MMMMmmmmm.

Outside of that, I just don't use mine for much of anything else.
Is it because of the hassle of maintenance?

Got one for Christmas and used it a handful of times. Clearly read up on the care. I seasoned mine with vegetable oil. Nothing more significant than that. Warmed it up to open the pores, spread some on, continued to bake for about 25 min upside down in the oven (throw some aluminum foil down incase for any drips.

Haven't used scrapers on it. Just wiped it out with a paper towel while still warm
I've heard paper towels aren't great for them because they can leave bits behind unless it's a casual wipe down.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard paper towels aren't great for them because they can leave bits behind unless it's a casual wipe down.

To get any remaining pieces of food out. Not to scrub.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it because of the hassle of maintenance?

Well, really we just don't cook that much on the stove anymore.
They're great for things that you need high heat and to hold the heat, but that isn't very many things.
Maintenance??? Yeah, not because it needs extra anything, but that it's just so darn heavy, my wife prefers not to use it.

It would be perfect for pancakes except there isn't enough room to do more than 1 at a time so we use this griddle thing we have.

The 2 we have must be 75 years old and work perfect.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, really we just don't cook that much on the stove anymore.
They're great for things that you need high heat and to hold the heat, but that isn't very many things.
Maintenance??? Yeah, not because it needs extra anything, but that it's just so darn heavy, my wife prefers not to use it.

It would be perfect for pancakes except there isn't enough room to do more than 1 at a time so we use this griddle thing we have.

The 2 we have must be 75 years old and work perfect.
I looked for some Wagner and Griswold 12" skillets on eBay but they ended up being a little more pricey than I was willing to spend. The one I ended up getting is 10 lbs according to Amazon which is kind of beastly. I think it will be a good investment since I am a huge breakfast food guy. Hopefully this one will last me long enough to pass down.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does come preseasoned but I think I'm going to season it a few times before I use it for the first time.

Good call!! A brand new "Preseasoned" is BS!!! Better than nothing for some, but still not the real deal...

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call!! A brand new "Preseasoned" is BS!!! Better than nothing for some, but still not the real deal...
Yep, "preseasoned" is a lie. Gotta put a little time in with the aforementioned procedures to get it right.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this thread makes me want to eat some fried tators.

Please elaborate...I can think of alot of ways to fry taters in a cast iron skillet :suds: yes, I'm hungry right now lol

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please elaborate...I can think of alot of ways to fry taters in a cast iron skillet :suds: yes, I'm hungry right now lol

I just take potatoes, cut them up, and then fry them in bacon grease/lard. Any frying oil is ok I suppose, but it's perfectly fine(and then some) to fry up some bacon and then keep the bacon chunks in there with them.

Nothing complicated, I just let them get browned well on the bottom before moving them around. AKA a darker brown like a sear, not a light fried golden brown.

Put something on top of them for a lid will help them stay softer. Not required, but I like them that way.

Onions are pretty good in them, and you can also do things like adding chunks of ham towards the end. You can even scramble some eggs in there with them, but I like to do them separate.

And of course, don't forget the salt and pepper.

Generally, you can't go very wrong frying potatoes IMO.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just take potatoes, cut them up, and then fry them in bacon grease/lard. Any frying oil is ok I suppose, but it's perfectly fine(and then some) to fry up some bacon and then keep the bacon chunks in there with them.

Nothing complicated, I just let them get browned well on the bottom before moving them around. AKA a darker brown like a sear, not a light fried golden brown.

Put something on top of them for a lid will help them stay softer. Not required, but I like them that way.

Onions are pretty good in them, and you can also do things like adding chunks of ham towards the end. You can even scramble some eggs in there with them, but I like to do them separate.

And of course, don't forget the salt and pepper.

Generally, you can't go very wrong frying potatoes IMO.

MMMMMmmmm
Cast Iron is the only way to go with fried taters.
onion is a necessity
lots of salt and pepper

IMG_4930.JPG

something like that.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MMMMMmmmm
Cast Iron is the only way to go with fried taters.
onion is a necessity
lots of salt and pepper

View attachment 100394

something like that.
Thanks for the clarification... I usually do them as "country" potatoes because the big chunks are less likely to burn if SOMEone were to become distracted somehow :whistle: but my aunt does the slices and they really are so good. Not as thin as a hashbrown, but not as dense as a country potato. Happy medium. And with a little crust on them? Pretty much perfection.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use mine all the time, got it from some old lady at the swap meet. We have different sizes as well. And yeah we use them as well.

I used to think the only good steak was a grilled steak. Then my wife one day made some when I came home from work. Seared and broiled it with butter. They were amazing, I was quiet at first and admitted that this was one of the best steaks I've ever had.

Use it for a lot of meals, especially when it comes to grilling onions, grilling fajita meat chicken or beef.

Use it to fry fish as well.

One thing that is really easy is frittata or basically an baked omelet. They are really easy to make.

One I recommend is, (below) it helps prevent oil splatter.

Splatter-Screen.jpg

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did 4 rounds of seasoning in the oven. I'm going to break it in on Saturday since I'll be making some bacon with breakfast.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With each use I can see the skillet becoming more non-stick. Eggs aren't as much of a bitch to deal with as they initially were. The nice grey sheen I'm starting to develop on the cooking surface is making me happy. I'm starting to be a big believer in the wipe down with a paper towel after the seasoning process so the pan isn't excessively greasy (almost sticky to the touch).

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With each use I can see the skillet becoming more non-stick. Eggs aren't as much of a bitch to deal with as they initially were. The nice grey sheen I'm starting to develop on the cooking surface is making me happy. I'm starting to be a big believer in the wipe down with a paper towel after the seasoning process so the pan isn't excessively greasy (almost sticky to the touch).
Another way to "clean" it without removing your hard-earned seasoning, use kosher salt & a kitchen towel or that fancy thing you bought to wipe it down.