• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cured and smoked my own bacon for first time this last week

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might not ever buy bacon in the store again.

It was fucking insane how much better it is to make your own.

For 20 bucks and some planning. I have lbs. and lbs. of bacon that tastes 10x better than anything I have ever bought. Even anything from the butcher shop.

Just made simple Maple flavored bacon, and smoked in lump with Pecan wood. Damn was it good. Have smoked a lot of stuff. Never did bacon, just because I never got around to it. I don't like eating up that much of my fridge for that long while I cure it. But man I think there will be an extra dorm fridge purchased just to keep the rotation going for this.

Wunder.Noid

All your trophies are belong to Bama
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For 20 bucks and some planning. I have lbs. and lbs. of bacon that tastes 10x better than anything I have ever bought. Even anything from the butcher shop.

Just made simple Maple flavored bacon, and smoked in lump with Pecan wood. Damn was it good. Have smoked a lot of stuff. Never did bacon, just because I never got around to it. I don't like eating up that much of my fridge for that long while I cure it. But man I think there will be an extra dorm fridge purchased just to keep the rotation going for this.
Where is the step by step my man? Did you cure using a wet brine? Salt cure? Cold smoke? Tell us MOAR! :hungry:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't eat enough bacon to do that, but I like the concept.

Will say...I had some jalapeno bacon recently from the butcher and I'm going back for another lb for a dish I'm hoping to cook tomorrow if this darn rain would let up.

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn, Irish! You drop an OP like that and don't give the details? Lets hear it.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like bacon, but I hardly ever eat any.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Recipe and process good sir, if you please?!

IrishBlooded

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm at work. Will do when I get home tonight

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I could find a good butcher, really would like to do this.

I eat bacon every morning for breakfast. I already make my own sausage.

Wunder.Noid

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I could find a good butcher, really would like to do this.

I eat bacon every morning for breakfast. I already make my own sausage.
You can buy a pork belly from Costco, Sam's, Publix and so on if you don't have a local butcher you like dealing with.

IrishBlooded

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I bought a full pork belly at Costco. Comes in the vac-seal bag. I cut it into 4 equal parts. Didn't really trim it at all. I took a little of the rough cuts off just because I know those would burn up in the smoker anyhow.

Next, washed them off just to get the gunk off them. Patted them dry, and put a little paprika and pepper on them.

After that I mixed up 4 lbs. of brown sugar and 2 cups of brown sugar (I used dark brown, I can't imagine all in all it would matter to use light or dark for this)

I also added a 1/2 cup of good maple syrup to this.

Here is the base video I used. And I just put my own twist on it as I went.

Wunder.Noid

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I bought a full pork belly at Costco. Comes in the vac-seal bag. I cut it into 4 equal parts. Didn't really trim it at all. I took a little of the rough cuts off just because I know those would burn up in the smoker anyhow.

Next, washed them off just to get the gunk off them. Patted them dry, and put a little paprika and pepper on them.

After that I mixed up 4 lbs. of brown sugar and 2 cups of brown sugar (I used dark brown, I can't imagine all in all it would matter to use light or dark for this)

I also added a 1/2 cup of good maple syrup to this.

Here is the base video I used. And I just put my own twist on it as I went.

Did you mean salt for one of these?

Disregard. Watched the video and it shows which one is the salt measurement.

Last edited:

Nod4Eight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome. I may give that a try someday. I’ve tried once before with a brine and smoke recipe but I didn’t like it.

SnoopHawg

CJK5H@SMU
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,039.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My brother-in-law has pigs on his farm. He smokes his iwn bacon and its always good.