• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much are you willing to pay Diva Bryant?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IRVING, Texas -- Dez Bryant believes he has earned the right to rank among the NFL's highest-paid wide receivers and hopes to sign a long-term contract extension with the Dallas Cowboys before the season begins.

So how much do you think is enough & how much do you think is too much?

Does he price himself out of the Cowboys range to want to sign him?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IRVING, Texas -- Dez Bryant believes he has earned the right to rank among the NFL's highest-paid wide receivers and hopes to sign a long-term contract extension with the Dallas Cowboys before the season begins.

So how much do you think is enough & how much do you think is too much?

Does he price himself out of the Cowboys range to want to sign him?

I can't remember Jerry ever losing one of the Cowboys top 2-3 stars to FA....ever. Maybe someone else can. I think Jerry pays him what he wants. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pay Romo what he's making and then let Dez walk in FA. Witten is moving towards the end, I don't think Jerry is ready to pitch TWilliams, Beasley and Escobar to Romo as his top ''weapons''

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember Jerry ever losing one of the Cowboys top 2-3 stars to FA....ever. Maybe someone else can. I think Jerry pays him what he wants. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pay Romo what he's making and then let Dez walk in FA. Witten is moving towards the end, I don't think Jerry is ready to pitch TWilliams, Beasley and Escobar to Romo as his top ''weapons''

I cant remember him doing that ever before either.
Also don't remember him making smart contracts like he has started to do either.
I am confident JJ will try & resign Dez. That doesn't mean he signs him for over priced value. Although wont be surprised if that does happen :L

Question is Sounds like Dez is gonna be asking top WR money. How far do you money guru's think is fair & how much do you guys let him walk?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant remember him doing that ever before either.
Also don't remember him making smart contracts like he has started to do either.
I am confident JJ will try & resign Dez. That doesn't mean he signs him for over priced value. Although wont be surprised if that does happen :L

Question is Sounds like Dez is gonna be asking top WR money. How far do you money guru's think is fair & how much do you guys let him walk?

I think he gets fair value, a million or two per year under Megatron.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dez wants top5 WR money. This could be a drawn out negotiation. There are time Dez looks like top 5 then a play latter he looks lost.

If we can sign Dez and Smith without placing us in cap hell I will have no problem with whatever he gets. Now if paying Dez means we lose Smith I won't want to pay Dez. Smith has to be priority #1.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Market will dictate what Jerry pays Dez. Dez will be paid like the Top 5 WR he is @ the end of the day :suds:

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dez wants top5 WR money. This could be a drawn out negotiation. There are time Dez looks like top 5 then a play latter he looks lost.

If we can sign Dez and Smith without placing us in cap hell I will have no problem with whatever he gets. Now if paying Dez means we lose Smith I won't want to pay Dez. Smith has to be priority #1.

Bingo! Dez is a stud but young star LT's trump young star WR all day long.
I'm guessing Dez is looking for 7 years/$100,000,000 minimum.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez will be resigned. I don't think there is any question about it. It's only a matter of when. Signing Dez IMO has no bearing on whether or not we sign Smith as he too will be resigned, but we don't need to act on him for a while. It's possible we don't exercise the option on Melton or resign some other guys, but Dez and Smith are two of the building blocks of the franchise.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be something the media will run with the whole year. They know they can set Dez up and he will eventually walk into the trap and say something he doesnt really mean or they will take something he says and turn it into something way more than it is. Dez is a very good WR. His best attribute is scoring TDs which isnt a bad one. He will fight for any ball thrown. He still has some improvement to go though.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez will be resigned. I don't think there is any question about it. It's only a matter of when. Signing Dez IMO has no bearing on whether or not we sign Smith as he too will be resigned, but we don't need to act on him for a while. It's possible we don't exercise the option on Melton or resign some other guys, but Dez and Smith are two of the building blocks of the franchise.
I see your point and agree you are a whole hell of a lot more right than wrong, but we are still right on the edge of the cap. The other contracts you mention are pennies considering what we need to get both signed. I am amazed how every year we complain about the cap and Steven just makes it work.

The other player often mentioned here is Murray. I don't see him getting his money in Dallas. Not with Dez and Tyron contracts due.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jerry wisely draws out the negotiations through the season to make sure Dez is giving 100% all season. He will have a deal that is team friendly on the table all season, and then if Dez behaves and plays hard it will get escalated midway through the year to what Dez feels is more in line with his skills. Jerry isn't going to extend him before the season though, no way. If they can't come to an agreement, Franchise him and let him play under the tag. That gets Dez his money he is wanting and we get another year of him giving 100% to get that contract.

And let Dez and his agent know that the deals are made in his office, not the media.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Games have always been won or lost in the trenches. Dez is obviously a talent,but I think you have to franchise him and make sure that back of his is going to hold up. He is not Irvin and does not need to be given a huge contract yet I would prefer to get Smith and Murray signed and then worry about dez. Murray is a complete back and is very valuable to the offense. The deal for murray needs to be cap friendly and I think it will end up being good for the cowboys.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point and agree you are a whole hell of a lot more right than wrong, but we are still right on the edge of the cap. The other contracts you mention are pennies considering what we need to get both signed. I am amazed how every year we complain about the cap and Steven just makes it work.

The other player often mentioned here is Murray. I don't see him getting his money in Dallas. Not with Dez and Tyron contracts due.

I don't see a team giving Murray what he wants. Running backs are not being paid premium contracts anymore

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jerry wisely draws out the negotiations through the season to make sure Dez is giving 100% all season. He will have a deal that is team friendly on the table all season, and then if Dez behaves and plays hard it will get escalated midway through the year to what Dez feels is more in line with his skills. Jerry isn't going to extend him before the season though, no way. If they can't come to an agreement, Franchise him and let him play under the tag. That gets Dez his money he is wanting and we get another year of him giving 100% to get that contract.

And let Dez and his agent know that the deals are made in his office, not the media.

I see where you are coming from, but tagging him would mean a $10 million+ hit on next years cap, and I'm not sure that's gonna be possible. I think Jerry gives him a huge long term agreement with a lower cap hit the first few years

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where you are coming from, but tagging him would mean a $10 million+ hit on next years cap, and I'm not sure that's gonna be possible. I think Jerry gives him a huge long term agreement with a lower cap hit the first few years

Agree. I don't know if we could afford to tag him (It will be higher than that when the time comes), but I do think we can pay him his contract.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But that is why we are screwed. They kick the can down the road and now we are paying for it. So, IMO Stephen doesn't make it work. He plays it like he is trying to keep a Championship team together. This is one of the reasons I am a big believer in drafting BPA when it makes sense. It allows you to say goodbye to those high priced players and replace them with cheaper guys.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the longer you can drag it out before you commit to Dez long term is the correct move, given the state of our cap situation and the player we are dealing with. There are so many pitfalls once you give out that big contract to an immature player who needed to be chaperoned up until this point. If this means we have to franchise tag him, so be it. I also hope we don't backload his deal so it becomes this supersized pill we have to swallow 6 years from now. An increase of 8 or 9% each year would be enough, don't go full on stupid and end up with a 20 mil/yr contract when hes 30, virtually assuring he never plays out his contract.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I went against the OP's intention. When I said "I don't think there is any question about it", I'm not necessarily talking about what I would do or give Dez, I'm saying the team WILL resign him whether any of us agrees or disagrees. There is no way they let him go unless something happens.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A franchise tag for WR this coming year is 12.31 mil. In 2015, it will likely go up, not sure how much. I would think his first year or two should be lower than the average of the top 5, but somewhere in there it could rise into the top 5 money for WRs. That would be a fair deal in my opinion.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I think the longer you can drag it out before you commit to Dez long term is the correct move, given the state of our cap situation and the player we are dealing with. There are so many pitfalls once you give out that big contract to an immature player who needed to be chaperoned up until this point. If this means we have to franchise tag him, so be it"

I agree with this.
Most likely Dez will have a problem with it but that's the card I'm willing to play if I'm the Cowboys