• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much are you willing to pay Diva Bryant?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PDay, I was just going to say what you said. Many players are FURIOUS when they get tagged. I have absolutely no idea how Dez will react. In theory it makes tremendous sense.

I know this is blaspheme to some (not Twist) but as absolutely hard as this would be you might have to consider letting him walk. One star WR isnt worth destroying your cap for ever. Thats why Philly dropped a good (not as good as Dez) WR in Desean. Who cuts a 27 year old who is coming off 1350 yards? I just dont think the 10+ million contract is something they want on the books. You can only have so many 10+ million dollar contracts on your team. But Dallas will get it done because it would be an absolute PR nightmare.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PDay, I was just going to say what you said. Many players are FURIOUS when they get tagged. I have absolutely no idea how Dez will react. In theory it makes tremendous sense.

I know this is blaspheme to some (not Twist) but as absolutely hard as this would be you might have to consider letting him walk. One star WR isnt worth destroying your cap for ever. Thats why Philly dropped a good (not as good as Dez) WR in Desean. Who cuts a 27 year old who is coming off 1350 yards? I just dont think the 10+ million contract is something they want on the books. You can only have so many 10+ million dollar contracts on your team. But Dallas will get it done because it would be an absolute PR nightmare.

I'm out of NFL mindset and into MLB, remind me about the ability to restrict a FA. Does it need to be a veteran to do that? I know we could tag Dez when his rookie contract is up, I'm assuming you need a special designator to be able to be eligible for restricted tags that would net us picks (aside from comp picks).

One scenario is that Dallas isn't doing well at the trade deadline and we trade him. Wonder what the market for Dez would look like if healthy and a contender is looking for an edge?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I don't know if we could afford to tag him (It will be higher than that when the time comes), but I do think we can pay him his contract.

I think tagging him will cost less then a new contract. Isnt the first year of tagging the average of the top 10 WRs and the second year the average of the top 5. I just assume Dez is going to want Fitz and Megatron money. You should be thankful his agent isnt Drew Rosenhaus anymore but I still think Dez is looking for 100,000,000/7 years

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm out of NFL mindset and into MLB, remind me about the ability to restrict a FA. Does it need to be a veteran to do that? I know we could tag Dez when his rookie contract is up, I'm assuming you need a special designator to be able to be eligible for restricted tags that would net us picks (aside from comp picks).

One scenario is that Dallas isn't doing well at the trade deadline and we trade him. Wonder what the market for Dez would look like if healthy and a contender is looking for an edge?

Trading Dez wouldn't return much just because of his pending FA status. I dont think teams will give up a HUGE return for a player that is just games away from FA. Philly is looking at the exactly same scenario in 12 months. Nick Foles, Fletcher Cox, Michael Kendricks and Brandon Boykin. Luckily we have about 4 aging player we can cut that will net us 30 mill in space (Trent Coles, Herramins, Demeco Ryans and Cary Williams). Trent Cole is 100% gone at a 10 million hit.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't focus on total $'s for the cap hit discussion. Year one tag WILL be a bigger cap hit than year one of an extension and so will year 2 of a tag. Somone posted the number above (I assume it was right) and it will go up next year. If we extend him today he gets a huge SB and we spread that over 5 years. So this year's hit still isn't bad. Next year probably has a decent base, but not too huge and likely guaranteed. So the huge cap hits will probably start in 2016. The key is that we have more control over how it is structured (and restructured in the Cowboys case as they kick the can down the road for all big contracts) if we sign him than if we keep tagging him.

The theory on tagging him (don't commit until you must) is a good one, but I don't think it is realistic for a few reasons. Anyway, it's not often that a young improving stud WR gets cheaper by waiting. I think right now Dez has never got that huge contract. Huge to some of us, but not $100M huge. So right now he may be less willing to risk not locking in a lifetime of riches. Once he gets a $15M year under his belt, he buys the house he wants and feels less pressure to lock in a big contract and may even be willing to hit the open market. Now, he's probably thinking 'if I get hurt I'm screwed' if he doesn't sign something.

Who knows what will happen or waht should happen, but I'm thinking it's all but guaranteed he has his long term deal within the next 12 months

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Dez wouldn't return much just because of his pending FA status. I dont think teams will give up a HUGE return for a player that is just games away from FA. Philly is looking at the exactly same scenario in 12 months. Nick Foles, Fletcher Cox, Michael Kendricks and Brandon Boykin. Luckily we have about 4 aging player we can cut that will net us 30 mill in space (Trent Coles, Herramins, Demeco Ryans and Cary Williams). Trent Cole is 100% gone at a 10 million hit.

Totally disagree. Whomever trades for him is going to do so looking to sign him to a big contract long term. And unlike the Cowboys, If a team has the cap room then they can tag Dez if they need to. It's not often a WR of his caliber becomes available at this young age. The comparison with D Jax is a poor one IMO. He is a decent WR, but not in the top 20 IMO. Dez is top 5 and younger. That is a chip that will yield quite a return. You think if it was Dez Philly was trying to trade they would have had a problem?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desean is top 20. He has a tremendous impact on the game even when he isn't catching balls. Wasnt he like 5th in receiving yards last year? He is clearly not a top 5 type but there arent 20 WR in the NFL better then him. But my point wasnt whether Desean was top 10 or not. It was the fact that a team can only have 2-3 guys making over 10 mill/per.

Why would a team give up a lot in a trade where the season has begun and they dont have to trade anything to get him at the end of the season. Teams NEVER give out huge contracts AND give up good picks. Philly would NEVER give up picks AND huge money for a WR entering FA in a few weeks. Nor would any other team.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the money we are going to be under this year's cap, we can apply it towards next year, correct? So if we couple that with the bonus money we will save with Lee's injury plus any money saved with the Orton situation, we should be able to sit on the fence one more year before we do Dez's contract. I think I'd want to negociate Smith's contract first, as it should be the biggest sum of money. I don't want Dez's contract to get in the way of how I'd need to structure Smith's.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man... it's a hard call but again, tagging the guy is what I'd do for 2015 season unless home discount is in capitol letters. I think growth is required and another year would help confirm that to me. I also agree 100% Smith money should be factored first. He has been everything and then some since drafted. Dez to me, remains top 5 God Given Talent but far less on the complete receiver, league wide status department.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man... it's a hard call but again, tagging the guy is what I'd do for 2015 season unless home discount is in capitol letters. I think growth is required and another year would help confirm that to me. I also agree 100% Smith money should be factored first. He has been everything and then some since drafted. Dez to me, remains top 5 God Given Talent but far less on the complete receiver, league wide status department.

That is the truth and an excellent negotiation point. Talent wise he's #2, production wise he is certainly lower. But right at this minute he is stepping into his prime years.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desean is top 20. He has a tremendous impact on the game even when he isn't catching balls. Wasnt he like 5th in receiving yards last year? He is clearly not a top 5 type but there arent 20 WR in the NFL better then him. But my point wasnt whether Desean was top 10 or not. It was the fact that a team can only have 2-3 guys making over 10 mill/per.

Why would a team give up a lot in a trade where the season has begun and they dont have to trade anything to get him at the end of the season. Teams NEVER give out huge contracts AND give up good picks. Philly would NEVER give up picks AND huge money for a WR entering FA in a few weeks. Nor would any other team.

Want a list? I can start with the Cowboys mistake of Roy Williiams. Off the top of my head Matt Flynn, Percy Harvin, I'm sure I can think of more if I try

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another valid thought. If they give Dez a humongous contract, T. Smiths agents are going to want more. Im guessing 5/6 years at 60 million for Smith. The salary cap is needed but it sucks when you nail a draft pick and have to worry about retaining him. As an Eagle fan I'd be absolutely pumped stealing him away. Its always nice when you do the double wammy of picking up a star AND hurting your top competition in the division. Hey, I can dream, cant I?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Want a list? I can start with the Cowboys mistake of Roy Williiams. Off the top of my head Matt Flynn, Percy Harvin, I'm sure I can think of more if I try

1. Matt Flynn didnt get big money and a 5th rounder was given up.
2. Harvin was desperate to leave and I thought he demanded a trade. Nor do I think he was a pending free agent. The Seahawks were stupid to give up a 1st is he was an upcoming FA but they knew it would be a VERY late 1st rounder.
3. Roy Williams trade was just awful. He is exactly the poster child why teams dont give up high picks for a soon to be FA.

Yes it has happened before but not in a situation where the team wanted to keep the player. Your scenario was to trade him later in the year. Lets say, as an impending FA, Dallas decides to trade him. First he has to agree to sign with the team he is being traded to which makes it a smaller field of teams. What do you think a team would give up for Dez knowing he can be had for "free" 8 games later.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant remember him doing that ever before either.
Also don't remember him making smart contracts like he has started to do either.
I am confident JJ will try & resign Dez. That doesn't mean he signs him for over priced value. Although wont be surprised if that does happen :L

Question is Sounds like Dez is gonna be asking top WR money. How far do you money guru's think is fair & how much do you guys let him walk?

Ken Norton Jr to the 49ers

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
me I go 7 years 70 million and not a dollar higher

He sells Jerseys though .... and people play fantasy football and Madden with him ... He gets 6 years 130 million .... Kills the cowboys for a decade

it is what it is in Cowboys land

and Jerry DIES before that ignorant contract does .... and my Dad as well waiting for another Superbowl

That's realism

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Harvin was desperate to leave and I thought he demanded a trade. Nor do I think he was a pending free agent. The Seahawks were stupid to give up a 1st is he was an upcoming FA but they knew it would be a VERY late 1st rounder.
3. Roy Williams trade was just awful. He is exactly the poster child why teams dont give up high picks for a soon to be FA.

Yes it has happened before but not in a situation where the team wanted to keep the player. Your scenario was to trade him later in the year. Lets say, as an impending FA, Dallas decides to trade him. First he has to agree to sign with the team he is being traded to which makes it a smaller field of teams. What do you think a team would give up for Dez knowing he can be had for "free" 8 games later.

here would be the scenario that it would happen. A team needs/wants a WR with Dez's potential or belief of being a top 5 WR. If they trade for him they don't have to compete with 30 other teams driving the price even higher.
On the Dez side, he would be eager to sign a big contract with whatever team he is being traded too, because he knows the Cowboys can/will fran tag him the next year & he still wouldn't have his huge contract. In this scenario the cowboys get their draft pick compensation, the team gets their player without a huge bidding war & Dez gets his huge contract & can stop trying so hard to run a pattern.

Everyone wins! (at 1st look)

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Norton Jr to the 49ers

Ken Norton was a heck of a player and a big loss, but he wasn't one of their top 2-3 players. I don't even think he was top 5 on that squad. Just shows how loaded that team was

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez won't be traded nor should he be kill that talk. The man deserves to be paid at worse like a top 10 wr. Dez and Smith or the best two players on this team and it's not even close they are the nucleus . So who is Dez's replacement? getting rid of Dez sets us back 3 yrs I don't care what we get in return in draft picks. The only way we should ever let him go is if we decide to completely rebuild....Jerry don't know what that is. Trading Dez IMO is crazy talk.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My bad Flynn was a Free Agent (I wasn't talking about this recent trade) when he left GB. You said:
Teams NEVER give out huge contracts AND give up good picks. I was giving you examples. I know why they happened, but the point is that they did and I was just pointing them out becasue you said they don't. Also, didn't you give up a 1st and some other picks for Jason Peters and then pay him a bunch of money? So don't say it NEVER happens. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen and Dez (like him or not) is a special player. We would have no problem getting a 1st round pick for him. As a matter of fact we'd have multiple offers...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas has given up picks and contracts for RWilliams and Galloway didn't we? Indy gave up a #1 for a RB, and we all know that RB's are what they used to be in this league right now.

Sorry, even with FA looming a team would give up top picks for a top 10 (maybe top 5) WR in the league at Dez's age. Couldn't the team franchise Dez the next year if he won't sign a contract? There aren't rules about how long a player has to be on a team before you can tag, is there?