• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How long does Philly stick with Wentz before going back to Foles?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree, he's not the best player playing on the team right now. But he's leading them to more points and fewer turnovers vs. better defenses than Foles was which is a positive change.
I'd say that is a pretty darn fair statement. Wentz is 10 times the QB that Foles is and easily a top 10 QB in the league. Everyone struggles a little if you analyze every drive or snap. He'll obviously be fine.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say that is a pretty darn fair statement. Wentz is 10 times the QB that Foles is and easily a top 10 QB in the league. Everyone struggles a little if you analyze every drive or snap. He'll obviously be fine.

Yup.....anyone with half a brain can see that. The thread of course was troll bait and even as an Eagles fans I find some of the shit funny. Even the great Aaaron Rodgers is underwhelming when returning from injuries. It takes players returning a good few weeks to get back into football shape even if they have been practicing. There is no subsitute for game play.

The laughable part is that it is Pats fans. It is obvious they are bitter that Brady could not get lucky again like he did for most of his SB wins. That a backup out played him and they want to take shots. Funny thing is they are 2-2 as well and suck just as much as the Eagles. At least we did not lose to the Lions.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you take a close look at any of the Eagles gams you will see a pattern beginning to form. There have been times that it appears the Eagles are taking control of a game. Once that happens teams start attacking Jalen Mills and it works every single time. To compensate for that Schwartz then resorts to zone defense and then the Eagles get picked apart. I cannot recall the last time I saw a corner being beaten so often.
Interesting. I haven't watched enough of Philly to notice, but the Giants are seeing the same thing with Webb. Dallas went right at him once he came in and other teams are too. Dallas also is going through something similar but more because of scheme, not that one guy is being targeted. When they press coverage with their 2 CBs they have done fantastic. When Awuzie has played softer he hasn't done quite as well and when they have gone to zone they continue to have miscommunication and huge soft spots for receivers to settle into and given up easier completions. For Dallas it's more a safety issue.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd agree. Especially with drops killing so many drives in that game.

As for me, I think it's the whole live and die with the wide 9 bit. Hated that back when Washburn was running it 5 or so years ago because we didn't have anything close to the players to run it. But it's such a high risk/high reward formation.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of surprised that Schwartz came out so strongly about not benching Mills. I get that you want to back your guys, but I thought he backed himself into a corner a little with how strongly he did it. As someone who is a big fan of Sidney Jones and the Cowboys I will say that I loved hearing his comments on the issue.

I think Mills is popular with teammates so it is probably a delicate matter, but at a minimum, use the guy right. He is not a fast corner, and needs to play on the ball to be most effective. Darby on the other side can be effective in off coverage because he is a burner, but not Mills. I think Philly probably intends to let Darby walk due to salary cap issues and keep Jones and Mills as starters next year. But right now Mills is playing bad and that is making that plan look shaky.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I haven't watched enough of Philly to notice, but the Giants are seeing the same thing with Webb. Dallas went right at him once he came in and other teams are too. Dallas also is going through something similar but more because of scheme, not that one guy is being targeted. When they press coverage with their 2 CBs they have done fantastic. When Awuzie has played softer he hasn't done quite as well and when they have gone to zone they continue to have miscommunication and huge soft spots for receivers to settle into and given up easier completions. For Dallas it's more a safety issue.

Jalen Mills is epically bad. He has been playing 10 yards off the receiver and still gets beat deep. When the Eagles went up 17-3 there was only 1 1/2 quarters left in the game. The opening drive the Eagles had in the 3rd ate half the clock. Then the Titans started targeting Mills. In the second half Mariota was 14-14 for 2 TD's. He looked like the second coming of Aaron Rodgers with blazing speed.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree. Especially with drops killing so many drives in that game.

As for me, I think it's the whole live and die with the wide 9 bit. Hated that back when Washburn was running it 5 or so years ago because we didn't have anything close to the players to run it. But it's such a high risk/high reward formation.
I loved when you guys ran that wide 9. Gave you just enough sacks to keep doing it, but was just horrible for everything else

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved when you guys ran that wide 9. Gave you just enough sacks to keep doing it, but was just horrible for everything else

That was one of the worst fucking defenses I have ever seen. I know running backs loved playing the Eagles during that period. Those games were definite stat padders.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We ran wide nine concepts last year and won a ring. You need speedy linebackers and smart defensive linemen, but if you have that it works. Again, if we make stops on 4th and 15 and a few other plays, Philly is 3-1 right now and no one is talking about this stuff. It all comes back to the secondary playing poorly right now. Some of that is due to injury--we missed Rodney McLeod, who is out for the year with a knee injury, last week--but it is mostly due to bad play from the same corners we rolled with last season.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol... those screens would just ruin us, or the off tackle stuff when there was a hole the size of texas to run through because there's Cole and Babin 10 yards in the backfield hopelessly behind the play....

I really liked Andy as our coach and knew whomever replaced him would almost surely be a step back, but that was what finally got me on the side of wanting to move on from him.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We ran wide nine concepts last year and won a ring. You need speedy linebackers and smart defensive linemen, but if you have that it works. Again, if we make stops on 4th and 15 and a few other plays, Philly is 3-1 right now and no one is talking about this stuff. It all comes back to the secondary playing poorly right now. Some of that is due to injury--we missed Rodney McLeod, who is out for the year with a knee injury, last week--but it is mostly due to bad play from the same corners we rolled with last season.

We may be running some of those concepts but it is not near as wide as the previous years we ran it. In the past when we ran it we did not have an elite DT like Cox. The need great interior lineman to make that scheme work.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may be running some of those concepts but it is not near as wide as the previous years we ran it. In the past when we ran it we did not have an elite DT like Cox. The need great interior lineman to make that scheme work.

I'd agree, it's a risky lineup that has it's rewards, kind of like blitzing. And we do run it a lot less. Agree here fully. An Jenkins and Patterson couldn't shed blocks like Cox to play multiple gaps which is so important.

You are correct, it just left such a bad taste in my mouth from back then. lol

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting back on topic
When Wentz gets hurt again and Foles comes in to save the season, will Eagles pay him his value?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take your word for it but it doesn't look the same as it was. Your DEs were almost out of bounds they played so wide that year. It even made it tough to get to the QB because the OTs just pushed them deep and they had a long ways to go

you could also VERY EASILY be 0-4

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team hasn't looked great all year, I am not sugar coating that. But Wentz ain't the problem. He looked demonstrably better than Foles from the moment he stepped in. I also think Alshon Jeffery made a big impact right away on his first game back last week. The offense IMO should be fine. I worry the defense is not living up to its potential though. There are a lot of big names on that defensive line. They have been good, but not great so far, and the secondary other than Malcolm Jenkins has been bad.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you take a close look at any of the Eagles gams you will see a pattern beginning to form. There have been times that it appears the Eagles are taking control of a game. Once that happens teams start attacking Jalen Mills and it works every single time. To compensate for that Schwartz then resorts to zone defense and then the Eagles get picked apart. I cannot recall the last time I saw a corner being beaten so often.
Just watch last years SB again.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watch last years SB again.

I do and all I see is :

5a78d6bb2d00004900943d00.jpeg

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do and all I see is :

5a78d6bb2d00004900943d00.jpeg
I'd expect nothing less. Here we are talking about CBs getting burned and you can't get the GOAT out of your head.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did..... Good lord the Pats secondary is trash. They got torched by a backup.

Agree you won't here me disagree.

But that old QB torched a top D for 500+. Who does that?