• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw the trailer for Five Night at Freddy's... I think it's one that COULD actually work at PG-13 because the game was very much based around jump scares and creepy but not necessarily gory or overly violent, so I don't think the cheap PG-13 horror jump scare tactic (which I think is the stupidest thing about most horror movies today, especially when it's just recycled from other films or is CONSTANTLY throughout) will be as bad in this film because it centers around the theme of the game.

I think what will kill this film is if they start to do a bunch of flashbacks or take away from the core of the film. I saw in the trailer someone in a hospital in broad daylight and an investigator in broad daylight asking questions, ugh.... this film will flop if they try to deeply explain everything and spend like 35-50% of the film outside the place the guy is guarding.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Friday the 13th Horror Fam!

F8VE_oSbQAAx0Ah

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 more so far today, Renfeld and Dracula (1931).

Renfeld is worth a watch, it's a comedy about Dracula. Not too much thinking involved.

Dracula 1931 is honestly a rough one. The acting is too much to get past and they made 70 minutes feel like 3 hours.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Blob was pretty fun. Pretending 28 year old Steve McQueen was a 17 year old was ridiculous. Something I've noticed about these older horror movies is how abruptly they end. There's no wrapping things up or aftermath.

Currently watching The Twilight Zone movie.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to see how they can make a 90 min horror movie about a haunted pool makes me want to give this a go.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Blob was pretty fun. Pretending 28 year old Steve McQueen was a 17 year old was ridiculous. Something I've noticed about these older horror movies is how abruptly they end. There's no wrapping things up or aftermath.

Currently watching The Twilight Zone movie.
I was riveted when I used to watch that as a kid ...but I saw it again a few years ago and was shocked how anti climatic it was.

That said, the 1988 Blob with Kevin Dillion is pretty damn good. Always felt it was underrated.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was riveted when I used to watch that as a kid ...but I saw it again a few years ago and was shocked how anti climatic it was.

That said, the 1988 Blob with Kevin Dillion is pretty damn good. Always felt it was underrated.
blob-the-blob.gif

Poor quality on this gif, but the movie did have some good moments.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Night House (2021)

I liked this movie. The concept was pretty cool, but they didn't really tie things off like they could have. Not a bad thing though, but for casual observers that don't want to think much this movie might not float their boat. They could have explained or justified some things better. Fairly manageable for the audience to fill in the gaps though so its passable. Only connection that I struggled to comprehend was her awareness to what happened to her during the accident. Felt like later on she was cognizant of "it" but failed to remember? Maybe I missed something... Or chalk it up to trauma?

The progression builds nicely. Lots of mystery involved that keeps the identifying thread obscured until later on in the film. Most of the scare tactics were very cool; great use of artsy cinematography settings/angles, however they weren't necessarily scary. Just an overall tense & mysterious tone. Only a few jump scares which is a plus.

Acting was great. By script design the main actress really carries the film. She handles the role well, displaying a great range of emotion as she struggles with grief & the mystery unfolding (sanity).

It was a solid tension-filled movie. Very clever writing with great cinematography. Would recommend it! David Bruckner is quickly becoming one of my favorite horror Directors... He directed The Signal (2007), Southbound (2015), The Ritual (2017), & Hellraiser (2022). As well as a bunch of shorts in V/H/S franchise, and some episodes in Creepshow.

Artsy & suspenseful... 7.5/10

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Night House (2021)

I liked this movie. The concept was pretty cool, but they didn't really tie things off like they could have. Not a bad thing though, but for casual observers that don't want to think much this movie might not float their boat. They could have explained or justified some things better. Fairly manageable for the audience to fill in the gaps though so its passable. Only connection that I struggled to comprehend was her awareness to what happened to her during the accident. Felt like later on she was cognizant of "it" but failed to remember? Maybe I missed something...

The progression builds nicely. Lots of mystery involved that keeps the identifying thread obscured until later on in the film. Most of the scare tactics were very cool; great use of artsy cinematography settings/angles, however they weren't necessarily scary. Just an overall tense & mysterious tone. Only a few jump scares which is a plus.

Acting was great. By script design the main actress really carries the film. She handles the role well, displaying a great range of emotion as she struggles with grief & the mystery unfolding.

It was a solid tension-filled movie. Very clever writing with great cinematography. Would recommend it! David Bruckner is quickly becoming one of my favorite horror Directors... He directed The Signal (2007), Southbound (2015), The Ritual (2017), & Hellraiser (2022). As well as a bunch of shorts in V/H/S franchise, and some episodes in Creepshow.

Artsy & suspenseful... 7.5/10
Rebecca Hall is the lead and she is indeed a great actress.
Reminds me of well known actors becoming action stars (Liam Neeson), it makes a ton of sense to have great actors in their own horror vehicles.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new Goosebumps series is good. Had low expectations but it exceeded them, much more adult than what I was anticipating. If you read the books it's a must. Solid acting which is always a toss up with a young cast, solid production value and every episode moves along nicely.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new Goosebumps series is good. Had low expectations but it exceeded them, much more adult than what I was anticipating. If you read the books it's a must. Solid acting which is always a toss up with a young cast, solid production value and every episode moves along nicely.
Brilliant! It was on my maybe list but I may give this a go now.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Pyramid on HBO Max a few nights ago. Somewhat entertaining. Basically a pyramid is discovered that's been buried beneath the sand for thousands of years. A research team sends in a drone or whatever, and it gets destroyed, and then they stupidly go in to recover the drone because the tech dork is freaking out about how NASA is going to be pissed at him lol.

Not a terrible movie, it's a bit dark (although they are in a pyramid buried in sand), CGI is not that great, but the dark lighting helps a bit. The main monster is kind of a cool concept. Expect a cheeseball ending lol.

I wish we had more movies like it though.