• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nun was terrible… but so was the first Annabelle, while the second was much better.

The whole franchise seems like it is running on fumes.
I might be in the minority, but I liked the 3rd installment of the Conjuring. Much different direction, but worked pretty well IMO. Not better than the first 2, but still solid

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.......more teen oriented stuff.....

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)-

So this one has already been discussed here by several folks. Usually I would try to link up the posts but there are 4 or 5 of them, so I'll just plow through instead.

Back in 1968 (they emphasis the date with an Vietnam draft angle, and NotLD is on at the drive in), a group of 3 geeky friends prank a Stephen King-style bully, which leads to them hiding in an old deserted house of local haunted legends. There they find a book of scary stories that was owned by a girl who supposedly murdered children back in the day. The lead chick takes the book home but finds that the book writes new scary stories in itself about the persons around it, and those stories come true, with the first story being about the bully. The group then scrambles to try to stop the book as it births monsters bent on capturing(?) them and taking them to another dimension (again, ?).

This one had a bunch of big names attached to the production with Guillermo Del Toro producing, and the Hageman Brothers (a bunch of tv series and generally non-horror stuff such as Ninjago, Trollhunters: Tales From Arcadia, Star Trek: Prodigy, and the Lego Movies), and the team of Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan (the Feast franchise, 4 Saw movies, Piranha 3DD, The Collector franchise, etc) wrote the screenplay (along with Del Toro). Note that the tales came from an 80s book series by Alvin Schwartz, whom I am unfamiliar with.

*Very high production values as it almost (but not quite) approaches the look and feel of a Del Toro flick but it is sterilized a bit for the teen audiences.
*They use a ton of cgi. It is mostly ok and some of the creatures are pretty cool, but it is often too obvious and I do feel that blending in practical would have improved it quite a bit.
*There are some good actors in supporting roles, but the main protagonist kids are kinda hit and miss. The 2 boy sidekicks can both be a little annoying.
*The stories themselves are pretty cool and a couple of the monsters themselves are well designed.
*Kind of a dark ending, but they sequel bait, with an emphasis on reversing the darkness.

Did I like it? It was ok. It looks great. A sterotypical storyline made the progression a bit too obvious. I didn't really connect with the characters.

I'll go 6 to 6.5 outta 10 range. Good for what it is, but I am not the target audience.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've already said I'm in the minority that actually liked The Nun. By no means a masterpiece but I thought the setting and vibe worked. I also love Taissa Farmiga.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm down with the covid. Fever and coughing up shit. My Dad is worse than I am with it.

Since I gave others a hard time with it, I plan on watching Contagion tomorrow! Probably the freakiest virus horror film out there because of the realism. But only if I feel good enough to handle it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fggsuu5WAAcmyAO

Almost like I've seen this somewhere before

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone watched this? Looks interesting.

Not yet, but it is on the list.

Del Toro's stuff always looks spectacular, and is usually quite good. But he is a producer here, and not a director. However the directors he has lined up are all "on the rise".

My only concern is that it goes a similar route as Del Toro's also produced Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, which was ok but homogenized for larger appeal, and used too much cgi (though it was decent cgi). Del Toro has had such stunningly great fxs and ambience in the past it made the over use of cgi a bit puzzling.