• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished Midnight Mass last night. Very methodical from start to finish, albeit somewhat predictable after the midway point through the miniseries.

As I said in my previous post on this show, after ep 4 I thought it was going in a diff direction than the first 3 episodes indicated. When Riley 'awakes' you can pretty much gather what Father Paul's intentions are for the entire island community. And the first 20mins of ep 5 confirmed it.

I didn't expect everyone to die and the science aspect to intervene like it did. I liked how the doctor pretty much tied a bow on the resolution to the show with just a few lines of sciency dialogue. It made enough sense though and didn't feel like it was brushing it under the rug too much. If I'm being honest, some of the deaths just didn't feel satisfying. Bev deserved worse, and the sheriff deserved better. Speaking of the sheriff... His 9/11 background builder felt a little too forced for me. Didn't really feel like the race angle needed to be driven home like that. Having him be Muslim and his son challenging their beliefs was plenty good for their arc.

The director really likes to explore different thoughts on death. He had an entire episode in Haunting of Hill House dedicated to similar aspects, just presented differently. But its really interesting & thought-provoking to be honest. And this show pursuing the religion angle is daring, but he pulls it off so well. It sort of evolves into a fantasy romance towards the end, but it still carries a lot of dread though which gives it more of an edge. It is definitely carried by Father Paul for most of its runtime, but that was by design. Most of the characters in this movie were meant to be 1-dimensional, with just a capable few that were meant to challenge the religious angles.

Season 2 could pickup with the Angel landing on some sort of fishing boat or ship? lol. Doesn't seem like Flanagan is interested in continuation projects but could easily pickup with this show.

@Podunkparte @R.J. MacReady

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished Midnight Mass last night. Very methodical from start to finish, albeit somewhat predictable after the midway point through the miniseries.

As I said in my previous post on this show, after ep 4 I thought it was going in a diff direction than the first 3 episodes indicated. When Riley 'awakes' you can pretty much gather what Father Paul's intentions are for the entire island community. And the first 20mins of ep 5 confirmed it.

I didn't expect everyone to die and the science aspect to intervene like it did. I liked how the doctor pretty much tied a bow on the resolution to the show with just a few lines of sciency dialogue. It made enough sense though and didn't feel like it was brushing it under the rug too much. If I'm being honest, some of the deaths just didn't feel satisfying. Bev deserved worse, and the sheriff deserved better. Speaking of the sheriff... His 9/11 background builder felt a little too forced for me. Didn't really feel like the race angle needed to be driven home like that. Having him be Muslim and his son challenging their beliefs was plenty good for their arc.

The director really likes to explore different thoughts on death. He had an entire episode in Haunting of Hill House dedicated to similar aspects, just presented differently. But its really interesting & thought-provoking to be honest. And this show pursuing the religion angle is daring, but he pulls it off so well. It sort of evolves into a fantasy romance towards the end, but it still carries a lot of dread though which gives it more of an edge. It is definitely carried by Father Paul for most of its runtime, but that was by design. Most of the characters in this movie were meant to be 1-dimensional, with just a capable few that were meant to challenge the religious angles.

Season 2 could pickup with the Angel landing on some sort of fishing boat or ship? lol. Doesn't seem like Flanagan is interested in continuation projects but could easily pickup with this show.

@Podunkparte @R.J. MacReady

I really loved how they highlighted the similarities of Vampirism & Catholicism

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still haven’t gotten around to Haunting of Bly Manor… Have you seen it? Thoughts?

Of his Netflix shows I probably rank it third:

Hill House
Midnight Mass
Bly Manor

I think you'll enjoy it, it is very much a Mike Flanagan styled show. Definitely worth checking out.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished Malignant, and it's apropos that this had to do with
a pregnancy out of r*pe
because this thing should have been aborted from the start.

Acting - Bad
Dialogue - Worse
Story - Atrocious

I actually laughed at most of the end. Just because something is "original" doesn't mean its good. Look at most of Shamalahan's work.

F-

Oh, and yes, the twist was obvious about 45 minutes into this thing.

That movie was so horribly bad. I feel for any human being that saw it in a theater...I regret my couple hours watching it on HBO. Just...Bad...With no redeeming qualities. F- is being fair...Not nearly enough minuses.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midnight Mass on Netflix.

Do yourself a big fat favor and go into this series cold ...do not do any research.
This is a very slow developing series with some long bouts of dialogue. (great cast & acting)

That is only a problem when the pay off is not worth it ....trust me, it's worth it.
I have done 6 of the 7 episodes ...so I can't give it my final verdict but it's very good so far.

Brilliant out of the box thinking on this.

I'm in you crazy son of a b*tch.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of his Netflix shows I probably rank it third:

Hill House
Midnight Mass
Bly Manor

I think you'll enjoy it, it is very much a Mike Flanagan styled show. Definitely worth checking out.
I liked Midnight Mass a little bit more than Hill House. Felt like it didn't drag as often as Hill House did, and the ending was much more satisfying. Still each one has the Flanagan effect of superb storytelling with ample amounts of dread, even if it lacks a certain level of malevolence.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Midnight Mass a little bit more than Hill House. Felt like it didn't drag as often as Hill House did, and the ending was much more satisfying. Still each one has the Flanagan effect of superb storytelling with ample amounts of dread, even if it lacks a certain level of malevolence.

Yeah it's a coin flip between those 2. I think the story, dialogue etc Midnight Mass Knocked it out of the park but Hill House had probably 5 or 6 legit shit your pants scary scenes.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's a coin flip between those 2. I think the story, dialogue etc Midnight Mass Knocked it out of the park but Hill House had probably 5 or 6 legit shit your pants scary scenes.
Very true. I still think about that Bowler Hat (tall man) ghost. Watched that son bech in 4k UHD... That scene was terrifying.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still haven’t gotten around to Haunting of Bly Manor… Have you seen it? Thoughts?

It's a distant 3rd in the rankings. Very slow burn. Going for a gothic horror story

What makes it worth the watch though are the side characters. The actor who plays the Sheriff in Mass, specifically, is pretty great.

Might as well give it a watch, just don't expect it to top the other 2 IMO.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamb comes out today, I'll have to wait for this to stream somewhere. No clue what to expect but A24 has done some interesting horror movies in the past so it has my attention.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got the Corona so I’ll be watching A LOT of movies

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamb comes out today, I'll have to wait for this to stream somewhere. No clue what to expect but A24 has done some interesting horror movies in the past so it has my attention.

I expect interesting and weird, but here's a small note from a friend who's a big film buff and enormous fan of A24:

"Lamb is not a horror movie. By now, anyone remotely familiar with A24 will recognize that by the trailer but audiences looking to see "that weird lamb-child horror movie" will be let down. I like this kind of folklore played straight, without giving into the temptation to punch it up with more action or violence. "It's all true. The bogeyman is real and you found him." It fits in almost too perfectly with A24's oeuvre, particularly next to The Witch or The Lighthouse. I appreciate that there are companies like A24 and Neon putting these movies in front of as many eyeballs as possible."

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect interesting and weird, but here's a small note from a friend who's a big film buff and enormous fan of A24:

"Lamb is not a horror movie. By now, anyone remotely familiar with A24 will recognize that by the trailer but audiences looking to see "that weird lamb-child horror movie" will be let down. I like this kind of folklore played straight, without giving into the temptation to punch it up with more action or violence. "It's all true. The bogeyman is real and you found him." It fits in almost too perfectly with A24's oeuvre, particularly next to The Witch or The Lighthouse. I appreciate that there are companies like A24 and Neon putting these movies in front of as many eyeballs as possible."

Essentially what I'm expecting. Less horror, more mindfuck.