• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
217314484_4449345721750487_5976260873410491546_n.jpg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romero's "of the Dead" series:
This one currently has 7 movies in it (if you include the upcoming 2022 release), starting with the classic NotLD.

1. Night of the Living Dead (1968)- an all-time classic. John Russo gets credit along with Romero, but Russo's offshots in the "Living Dead" series are seperate canon.

2. Day of the Dead (1978)- 10 years later, this one is also considered a classic with it's social commentary. But it does suffer from budget constraints and some cheesy humor.

3. Day of the Dead (1985)- Army guys and scientists locked in a bunker during the Z-pocalpyse. Better fxs overall than DotD, but not as "charming".

4. Land of the Dead (2005)- Bigger budget and scope than it's predecessor but the famous Romero social commentary is a bit ham-fisted.

5. Diary of the Dead (2007)- the 1st person cam entry. Has some creepy moments but it is one of the lesser films of the series.

6. Survival of the Dead (2009)- Much like DiaryotD, it has some good moments but is overall underwhelming. The people trying to save their long zombified loved ones was both somewhat understandable, and kinda stupid

Still to come:
-Night of the Living Dead 2 (2022)- Will bring back the main protagonists and original actors from 1985's Day of the Dead!
-Road of the Dead- in pre-production.
-Twilight of the Dead- Romero's script to follow up on the endings to DiaryotD and SurvivalotD.

So I have a lot of history with this franchise, and have disscussed it here quite a bit.
-I've seen each movie in the series at least twice.
-Probably my 3rd favorite horror series overall behind Halloween and Alien? Hard to say with 100% certainty though.
-It is interesting that I actually rank them in the order they were made, with the possible exception of Diary and Survival, which are interchangeable in quality imo.

Best scenes-
- Ben getting shot in the head in the original. Huge emotional impact.

(I couldn't find a shorter clip of it)

-Honorable mention to Joe Pilato being pulled apart in Day of the Dead!
(It's at the end of the clip)

Offshoots and remakes:
-Zombi 2 (1978): Fulci's unofficial NotLD sequel. Has some good, but also some really bad stuff in it.

-Night of the Living Dead (1990): Directed by fxs master and Romero protege Tom Savini! Actually pretty good and worth a watch. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

-Dawn of the Dead (2004)- Zack Snyder's version with fast moving zombies. Romero infamously didn't like it, but most folks find it pretty good.

-Day of the Dead 2: Contagium (2005)
-Night of the Living Dead 3D (2008)
-Day of the Dead: Bloodlines (2012)
I've seen these 3 and none are very good.

There are a bunch more that I don't have much knowledge of. This is largely because of the copyright issues regarding the original which apparently allows anyone to make similarly titled and themed movies.

-Which of the series have you seen/not seen?
-What about all of the remakes and offshots?
-Which of all of these (series, remakes, offshoots, etc) did you like/dislike?
-Anything else?
Pretty sure I have seen everything but Zombi 2 on your list here. And now I’m seeing there was a Zombi 3 & 4? What am I missing out on there??

Most of the rest of that list I’ve seen at least twice.

Do I recall all of them? Not really as much as I should except for most the iconic ones & maybe a handful of remakes.

NotlD was definitely a classic but I have a lot more nostalgia over DotD’s from ‘78 & 85. Plus didn’t Romero admit to sourcing material off the I Am Legend book? No big deal but thought it was funny. Pretty sure I recall a documentary stating a lot of actor improvisation helped mask it. Did you see the 30th anniversary film that exchanged 15 minutes that Russo had filmed to add new material? Cemetery Zombie!! It was bad, but I applaud his effort.

Snyder’s Dawn otD was awesome. Also loved Survival & Land otD. The 1990 NotLD remake was fun! There was like 3 separate 3D films from what I recall. None of which were particularly memorable. Nor the Bloodlines movie. Don’t know if I recall the Contagium one much but it’s on my list so I know I’ve watched it at some point.

Children of the Dead is also on my list but I have no recollection of it.

Russo’s series that spawned the “Return of the Living Dead” films was fun. Horror comedy but still a lot of fun.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Return of the Living Dead I thought was a fun movie for what it was, even though it wasn’t a Romero movie that I can remember. Can’t go wrong with a nude Linnea Quigley.
Yep! That is a series unto it's own with 5 films. The last was in 2005 so it seems a bit dead in the water.

The Return of the Living Dead was written by John Russo who co-created and co-wrote Night of the Living Dead with George Romero, then screenplayed and directed by Dan O'Bannon (a legend in his own right).
-Russo and Romero split after NotLD and, after a lawsuit, Russo got the rights to use "the Living Dead" and Romero got "of the Dead".

-The RotLD and NotLD universes technically coexist as a character in RotLD references the Night of the Living Dead events as having really happened!

-Sorry if this ruins anything for ya, but Linnea Quigley actually was wearing a covering over the v region. A studio producer walked in, saw them filming her full nude, and freaked out so they were forced to cover her up. Lots of breasts though!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep! That is a series unto it's own with 5 films. The last was in 2005 so it seems a bit dead in the water.

The Return of the Living Dead was written by John Russo who co-created and co-wrote Night of the Living Dead with George Romero, then screenplayed and directed by Dan O'Bannon (a legend in his own right).
-Russo and Romero split after NotLD and, after a lawsuit, Russo got the rights to use "the Living Dead" and Romero got "of the Dead".

-The RotLD and NotLD universes technically coexist as a character in RotLD references the Night of the Living Dead events as having really happened!

-Sorry if this ruins anything for ya, but Linnea Quigley actually was wearing a covering over the v region. A studio producer walked in, saw them filming her full nude, and freaked out so they were forced to cover her up. Lots of breasts though!
Hadn’t heard that but doesn’t surprise me since things were different back when this was made. Doesn’t ruin the movie at all. The scene where she’s walking up nude and then bites the guy is still one of the best parts of the movie not including Tar Man.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure I have seen everything but Zombi 2 on your list here. And now I’m seeing there was a Zombi 3 & 4? What am I missing out on there??

Do I recall all of them? Not really as much as I should except for most the iconic ones & maybe a handful of remakes.

NotlD was definitely a classic but I have a lot more nostalgia over DotD’s from ‘78 & 85. Plus didn’t Romero admit to sourcing material off the I Am Legend book? No big deal but thought it was funny. Pretty sure I recall a documentary stating a lot of actor improvisation helped mask it. Did you see the 30th anniversary film that exchanged 15 minutes that Russo had filmed to add new material? Cemetery Zombie!! It was bad, but I applaud his effort.

Snyder’s Dawn otD was awesome. Also loved Survival & Land otD. The 1990 NotLD remake was fun! There was like 3 separate 3D films from what I recall. None of which were particularly memorable. Nor the Bloodlines movie. Don’t know if I recall the Contagium one much but it’s on my list so I know I’ve watched it at some point.

Russo’s series that spawned the “Return of the Living Dead” films was fun. Horror comedy but still a lot of fun.
-Zombi was the apparently heavily re-edited version of Dawn of the Dead by Italian horror/schlock master Dario Argento. That version was used in all of Europe. I haven't seen it, but they have added a soundtrack by German rock-metalish band Goblin, which is always good (they've done a ton of soundtracks).
-Many countries use the alternate titles of Zombi Flesh Eaters for the series.
-Zombi 2 was a 1979 release from Italian horror/schlock master Lucio Fulchi. It is probably most famous for the zombie/shark fight scene.
-The Zombi series becomes a convoluted mess after that. Zombi 3 is released under different names in different countries, which led to several countries starting their own series based on Zombi, which is the re-cut Dawn of the Dead, and Zombi 2.
*In Germany Zombi 2 is called "Woodoo" instead, and make their own Zombi 2, but return to the Italian series for Zombi 3!
*In Thailand they follow the series up to Zombi Flesh Eaters 3, then release their own Zombi Flesh Eaters 4 aka Killswitch.
*Australia mostly re-titled other Italian horror movies (with the exception of the original 2020 installment) after Zombi 3, and now has 8(!) in the franchise.
-In the USA, called Zombi 2 just "Zombie" instead, but didn't bother to change Zombie 3 to Zombie 2............so there are parts 3, 4, and 5 but no part 2!
*To confuse things further there is a seperate film series in the USA based on the original Italian Zombi 2, and Zombi 3, (but known here as Zombie, and Zombie 2 of course) with a total of 7 chapters! Much like the Australian method, they have repurposed a bunch of other movies but there is apparently an original or two, plus they added reshoits to some.
*Lastly, there are about a dozen movies released under the titles Zombi 1 through 8 or so. Apparently there was a Zombi 34 release in Pakistan.

What a mess! It makes the Halloween timeline messes look like nothing.......and so much of it is horrible schlock. Maybe someday I should try to watch all the seperate "series"? It would be painful.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Had to start a new post just to get off of the Zombi trainwrecks! Damn those Italians!! Lol!

-I haven't watched the documentary, but I need to!
-I heard nothing but bad on the Russo updated material in the 30th anniversary edition so I never checked it out......but I probably should!
-Romero and Russo thought of the concept based on I Am Legend story but it wasn't the same at all, so I consider it more of a strong influence.
Kinda like Greta Van Fleet covering Zeppelin. Different songs with many of the same attributes.

In the meantime, here is some Tarman for ya!

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn’t heard that but doesn’t surprise me since things were different back when this was made. Doesn’t ruin the movie at all. The scene where she’s walking up nude and then bites the guy is still one of the best parts of the movie not including Tar Man.
.........or these gems!

Send more paramedics!

Send more cops!

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lastly for tonight, I present the zombie vs shark fight from Zombi 2!

The fight itself isn't too much, until you consider what is actually going on. F'n BIG KUDOS to the actor who went down and wrestled with several different sharks like that! It is craaaazzzeeeee!
I always crack up watching that guy biting at the shark, and trying to shove the fake arm in it's mouth. I think he might have actually cut one in there? Not sure.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all makin me hate bein at work right now... All the videos are unavailable due to restricted mode which is enabled via my network firewall...

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to start a new post just to get off of the Zombi trainwrecks! Damn those Italians!! Lol!

-I haven't watched the documentary, but I need to!
-I heard nothing but bad on the Russo updated material in the 30th anniversary edition so I never checked it out......but I probably should!
-Romero and Russo thought of the concept based on I Am Legend story but it wasn't the same at all, so I consider it more of a strong influence.
Kinda like Greta Van Fleet covering Zeppelin. Different songs with many of the same attributes.

In the meantime, here is some Tarman for ya!

Actually, I am wrong. I did previously see the anniversary edition with the added Russo footage. I am glad that I blanked it out because it was flat out BAD imo!

The acting and dialog is horrible. I don't know why the priest was added. Just a bad idea and poor execution.