• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched The Tomorrow War (2021)... F*cking awesome

Obviously not horror, but those were some of the best creatures that I have ever seen in a movie. Go watch it... now

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously not horror, but those were some of the best creatures that I have ever seen in a movie. Go watch it... now

It was a cool maybe mindless watch. Watch The Strange House on Netflix, dubbed German film. It was fine for what it was, felt more like a murder mystery than a horror film. It was fun, it was dumb and predictable but I enjoyed it.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched Come True on Hulu.
Interesting take on dreams with a horror element.
First 1/2 hour really sets you up, but I thought the movie may have been too clever for it's own good with how it wraps up.
When you work back to connect the dots, it's very intriguing.

Definitely not mindless, so your value may vary.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The writing isn't very good, the story is meh at best, there are too many issues to really run through. With that said the FX are fairly decent, there is some ok humor but a lot is waste through dumb timing. The movie is also very predictable, I literally said out loud what would happen about half way through and that is more of a testament to the writing and story. Not much originality though it feels original.

5/10.

I am the worst person to watch time travel movies. My brain cannot help but to pick it apart and this one was pretty bad in that regard. I even told a coworker to go watch it so I could vent lol.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The writing isn't very good, the story is meh at best, there are too many issues to really run through. With that said the FX are fairly decent, there is some ok humor but a lot is waste through dumb timing. The movie is also very predictable, I literally said out loud what would happen about half way through and that is more of a testament to the writing and story. Not much originality though it feels original.

5/10.

I am the worst person to watch time travel movies. My brain cannot help but to pick it apart and this one was pretty bad in that regard. I even told a coworker to go watch it so I could vent lol.
My wife & I debated about the time travel stuff for quite some time during it. This movie’s concepts were different from the majority of what we see in other movies. Most time travel movies think that whatever you do in the past directly impacts that timeline in the future, whereas in this movie these 2 timelines are distinctly different with zero bearing on one another other than to aid each other. My wife couldnt grasp that.

Probably didnt explain that very well but it makes sense to me.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife & I debated about the time travel stuff for quite some time during it. This movie’s concepts were different from the majority of what we see in other movies. Most time travel movies think that whatever you do in the past directly impacts that timeline in the future, whereas in this movie these 2 timelines are distinctly different with zero bearing on one another other than to aid each other. My wife couldnt grasp that.

Probably didnt explain that very well but it makes sense to me.
I appreciated that they stated time only traveled in one direction, any time spent in one place also passed in another. I appreciate that because it is impossible to travel backwards in time. And I don't mean it is impossible in the sense that we haven't discovered it, I mean, I don't believe it is physically or theoretically possible period.

This movie needed to go into multiple universes to have any semblence of sense and I don't recall them doing that.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Devil Below (2021)

Another neo-monster creature feature to add to the list... @Sharkonabicycle Although I don't know if I would recommend this one lol.

This quick-baked movie was a bit of a mess. They tried hard to quickly sell you on a mystery to drive the plot, but it ended up making no practical sense whatsoever. The weak start with the not-so-intimidating locals was oddly placed. Lots of clichés mixed with an abundance of plot holes. The characters are supposed to be smart researchers, but they end up being confoundingly stupid. Their actions did not even remotely portray the common sense anyone would have. And their hired guide turns out to be some castoff version of Lara Croft. Its like the writers said to themselves, 'let's make a creature feature where we make a Tomb-Raider character try to save a bunch of nerds in cave filled with Descent-like neo-creatures.'

Not all is lost though. The creatures were semi-decent, which they wisely made obscured for most of the film. Pale & toothy creatures in caves is an easy draw. But writing them as some sort of demons from lower world being guarded by backwood rednecks in denim & plaid was farcical at best. Some of the deaths featured practical fx which was mildly entertaining. It also featured decent cinematography & athmospherics to make it more passable than most, but this movie simply failed from the writing standpoint. Wouldn't recommend it, but I've seen far worse than this movie, so there's that.

Poorly written neo-creature feature... 4/10

Yeah this one was a slog. Watched it late and it took everything in me to not nod out. Not a single character was likable, there was so much confusion as to what their plan was or why they were attempting anything they were attempting. Also why were they so calm about locals chasing them?

I did like the creatures and the setting but that was about it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yes! Can’t wait to see which direction they go with it. Going to guess it has something to do with the mysterious pilots aboard the crashed ship. Their intent is still unknown.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the Fear Streets over the weekend... Will get around to doing reviews on all 3 after 1666 drops.

So far I think 1978 was awesome. 1994 had some good moments but didn't quite rock it until the final 15 minutes or so. Lookin forward to 1666.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Halloween is set to move into 1st place for longest running horror movie series when Halloween: Ends comes out in 2022. That release and this year's Halloween: Kills will move it past several other franchises, such as Friday the 13th, and the lesser viewed Puppetmaster and Children of the Corn films.

With this in mind I am curious to know how many of each of these series has the horror aficionados here have seen, and which entries you like, dislike the most, and any other comments.

Due to the length I will make a seperate post for each series, and post as replies to this comment.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Halloween is set to move into 1st place for longest running horror movie series when Halloween: Ends comes out in 2022. That release and this year's Halloween: Kills will move it past several other franchises, such as Friday the 13th, and the lesser viewed Puppetmaster and Children of the Corn films.

With this in mind I am curious to know how many of each of these series has the horror aficionados here have seen, and which entries you like, dislike the most, and any other comments.

Due to the length I will make a seperate post for each series, and post as replies to this comment.
Romero's "of the Dead" series:
This one currently has 7 movies in it (if you include the upcoming 2022 release), starting with the classic NotLD.

1. Night of the Living Dead (1968)- an all-time classic. John Russo gets credit along with Romero, but Russo's offshots in the "Living Dead" series are seperate canon.

2. Day of the Dead (1978)- 10 years later, this one is also considered a classic with it's social commentary. But it does suffer from budget constraints and some cheesy humor.

3. Day of the Dead (1985)- Army guys and scientists locked in a bunker during the Z-pocalpyse. Better fxs overall than DotD, but not as "charming".

4. Land of the Dead (2005)- Bigger budget and scope than it's predecessor but the famous Romero social commentary is a bit ham-fisted.

5. Diary of the Dead (2007)- the 1st person cam entry. Has some creepy moments but it is one of the lesser films of the series.

6. Survival of the Dead (2009)- Much like DiaryotD, it has some good moments but is overall underwhelming. The people trying to save their long zombified loved ones was both somewhat understandable, and kinda stupid

Still to come:
-Night of the Living Dead 2 (2022)- Will bring back the main protagonists and original actors from 1985's Day of the Dead!
-Road of the Dead- in pre-production.
-Twilight of the Dead- Romero's script to follow up on the endings to DiaryotD and SurvivalotD.

So I have a lot of history with this franchise, and have disscussed it here quite a bit.
-I've seen each movie in the series at least twice.
-Probably my 3rd favorite horror series overall behind Halloween and Alien? Hard to say with 100% certainty though.
-It is interesting that I actually rank them in the order they were made, with the possible exception of Diary and Survival, which are interchangeable in quality imo.

Best scenes-
- Ben getting shot in the head in the original. Huge emotional impact.

(I couldn't find a shorter clip of it)

-Honorable mention to Joe Pilato being pulled apart in Day of the Dead!
(It's at the end of the clip)

Offshoots and remakes:
-Zombi 2 (1978): Fulci's unofficial NotLD sequel. Has some good, but also some really bad stuff in it.

-Night of the Living Dead (1990): Directed by fxs master and Romero protege Tom Savini! Actually pretty good and worth a watch. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

-Dawn of the Dead (2004)- Zack Snyder's version with fast moving zombies. Romero infamously didn't like it, but most folks find it pretty good.

-Day of the Dead 2: Contagium (2005)
-Night of the Living Dead 3D (2008)
-Day of the Dead: Bloodlines (2012)
I've seen these 3 and none are very good.

There are a bunch more that I don't have much knowledge of. This is largely because of the copyright issues regarding the original which apparently allows anyone to make similarly titled and themed movies.

-Which of the series have you seen/not seen?
-What about all of the remakes and offshots?
-Which of all of these (series, remakes, offshoots, etc) did you like/dislike?
-Anything else?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romero's "of the Dead" series:
This one currently has 7 movies in it (if you include the upcoming 2022 release), starting with the classic NotLD.

1. Night of the Living Dead (1968)- an all-time classic. John Russo gets credit along with Romero, but Russo's offshots in the "Living Dead" series are seperate canon.

2. Day of the Dead (1978)- 10 years later, this one is also considered a classic with it's social commentary. But it does suffer from budget constraints and some cheesy humor.

3. Day of the Dead (1985)- Army guys and scientists locked in a bunker during the Z-pocalpyse. Better fxs overall than DotD, but not as "charming".

4. Land of the Dead (2005)- Bigger budget and scope than it's predecessor but the famous Romero social commentary is a bit ham-fisted.

5. Diary of the Dead (2007)- the 1st person cam entry. Has some creepy moments but it is one of the lesser films of the series.

6. Survival of the Dead (2009)- Much like DiaryotD, it has some good moments but is overall underwhelming. The people trying to save their long zombified loved ones was both somewhat understandable, and kinda stupid

Still to come:
-Night of the Living Dead 2 (2022)- Will bring back the main protagonists and original actors from 1985's Day of the Dead!
-Road of the Dead- in pre-production.
-Twilight of the Dead- Romero's script to follow up on the endings to DiaryotD and SurvivalotD.

So I have a lot of history with this franchise, and have disscussed it here quite a bit.
-I've seen each movie in the series at least twice.
-Probably my 3rd favorite horror series overall behind Halloween and Alien? Hard to say with 100% certainty though.
-It is interesting that I actually rank them in the order they were made, with the possible exception of Diary and Survival, which are interchangeable in quality imo.

Best scenes-
- Ben getting shot in the head in the original. Huge emotional impact.

(I couldn't find a shorter clip of it)

-Honorable mention to Joe Pilato being pulled apart in Day of the Dead!
(It's at the end of the clip)

Offshoots and remakes:
-Zombi 2 (1978): Fulci's unofficial NotLD sequel. Has some good, but also some really bad stuff in it.

-Night of the Living Dead (1990): Directed by fxs master and Romero protege Tom Savini! Actually pretty good and worth a watch. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

-Dawn of the Dead (2004)- Zack Snyder's version with fast moving zombies. Romero infamously didn't like it, but most folks find it pretty good.

-Day of the Dead 2: Contagium (2005)
-Night of the Living Dead 3D (2008)
-Day of the Dead: Bloodlines (2012)
I've seen these 3 and none are very good.

There are a bunch more that I don't have much knowledge of. This is largely because of the copyright issues regarding the original which apparently allows anyone to make similarly titled and themed movies.

-Which of the series have you seen/not seen?
-What about all of the remakes and offshots?
-Which of all of these (series, remakes, offshoots, etc) did you like/dislike?
-Anything else?
Return of the Living Dead I thought was a fun movie for what it was, even though it wasn’t a Romero movie that I can remember. Can’t go wrong with a nude Linnea Quigley.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the Fear Streets over the weekend... Will get around to doing reviews on all 3 after 1666 drops.

So far I think 1978 was awesome. 1994 had some good moments but didn't quite rock it until the final 15 minutes or so. Lookin forward to 1666.

Gave me the name for my first born girl................

Ziggy