• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it when they are based on a true story/event. Partially why I loving The Conjuring Universe so much

8977394979319d2b0810f0b364f0514d.png

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it when they are based on a true story/event. Partially why I loving The Conjuring Universe so much

8977394979319d2b0810f0b364f0514d.png
Me too! Although the Warren’s aren’t highly regarded & damaged their reputation, it’s still far more interesting than fiction. We had a debate with a handful of poster in here prior to the Conjuring 2’s release. Some people were adamantly refusing to watch the movie based on the Warrens being frauds

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MV5BODQ4NDhmNTctZmMwMi00ZjI0LTlkNjEtMTRjOTA1N2JkODM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQwMTY2Nzk@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

We Summon the Darkness (2019)
This movie was a swing & a miss for me. It had a decent premise & build, even though I was beyond irritated with these female characters, and it gained some decent promise once the house party arrived. However it fumbled it away rather quickly and the menace didn't materialize. Felt like it was done for a more comedic affect, but honestly it could have been pretty damn good had it taken itself more seriously & dove into a more sinister tone.
Watched this for my workout today.
I liked it a bit more than your review indicates you did, but it certainly wasn't flawless.
I do agree that it tried to walk the line between darkness and comedy but only ended up missing the mark on both. However it wasn't a bad flick (imo). The storyline itself was probably the strongest point, while the acting was more hit and miss. I actually thought the overall execution was ok.
I go about a 6 outta 10.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too! Although the Warren’s aren’t highly regarded & damaged their reputation, it’s still far more interesting than fiction. We had a debate with a handful of poster in here prior to the Conjuring 2’s release. Some people were adamantly refusing to watch the movie based on the Warrens being frauds
Anything specific? I know a lot of the stories from the movies are exaggerated and/or straight-up movie filler, but I mean they do have their own museum filled with artifacts claiming to be haunted or something.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not horror persay, but it certainly might be the most horrific thing I've ever read!

20210527_175018.jpg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything specific? I know a lot of the stories from the movies are exaggerated and/or straight-up movie filler, but I mean they do have their own museum filled with artifacts claiming to be haunted or something.
Don’t recall exactly what we talked about other than how it has been proven/admitted that the Warren’s are frauds and those posters didn’t want to support them by seeing movies that over-glorified their name.

I simply argued that the movies weren’t trying to be nonfiction, but merely based on their stories. The hangup was the “based on TRUE events”

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Horror but The Goonies 2 has been announced it will be filmed.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t recall exactly what we talked about other than how it has been proven/admitted that the Warren’s are frauds and those posters didn’t want to support them by seeing movies that over-glorified their name.

I simply argued that the movies weren’t trying to be nonfiction, but merely based on their stories. The hangup was the “based on TRUE events”
well I have read on them and the impression I got was like....

yes Annabelle doll is real and a demon has attached itself, the story involving the roommates at the beginning of the movies is real, but the story in the movies themselves are highly exaggerated or outright made up. The Conjuring families are real, the events are exaggerated.

idk man, I was reading about them before. I never saw something that said they were outright fraudsters or admitted to lying about anything though.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm at work, so this will be kind of short, but I watched The ABC's of Death last night. To this point, I had only seen version 2.5 where it only covered the letter M. I will say that I enjoy the idea of short 1-3 minute movies/videos expressing a letter/word in death form, but I did not care for many of the shorts in this movie. If I had to guess a number, only like 5 or so I thought were any good.

Also, if any of you have seen it, is it just me or are the foreign ones significantly better than the American ones... or the ones in English at least? One of the foreign ones was a little over the top and disturbing, if you have seen it, you probably know which one I am referring to.

All in all, not too impressed with this one. The 2.5 version was better in my opinion.

3.5/10 - Still better than Phobias. If I was ever about to turn a movie off (walk out) it would have been for Phobias.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple Conjuring 3 reviews...

1622281708826.png

1622281728576.png

This is what I am most worried about. Not only did they go with a different director, but a guy that has only ever directed one feature-length movie.... and it wasn't good (The Curse of la Llorona). It also happens to be part of the Conjuring Universe lol. I will say that it is not the worst movie in the Conjuring Universe though, but it is probably bottom 3 or 4.

Like why? Why are decisions like this made? Wan did great on the first two, did he just not want to do the third or is this an insanely stupid studio decision... idk.

tumblr_p1jbybg0ta1vhfplho1_400.gifv

But it is currently sitting at 78%, but with only 18 reviews. Not that THAT matters, I will absolutely watch either way. But there is something comforting when you see good reviews, especially from a movie that you really want to see and have strong hopes for.

I will say, I have thought for a while now, that Patrick Wilson is a heavily underrated actor and this isn't just based on his horror movies, but in general. He is a really good actor and I am surprised he isn't a bigger name.

Farmiga is also excellent, but I feel like most people know/recognize her even if only as The Departed or Source Code chick. That was how I first started remembering her lol.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just tried watching The Djinn wtf, not sure why Rotten Tomatoes gave it really good reviews. Conjuring The Devil Made me Do It , and Quiet Place 2 hopefully this weekend

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just tried watching The Djinn wtf, not sure why Rotten Tomatoes gave it really good reviews. Conjuring The Devil Made me Do It , and Quiet Place 2 hopefully this weekend
I was curious so I checked out the ratings. As you stated, Rotten Tomatoes gives The Djinn a very high 88% score from reviewers, and a 84% from audiences. However IMDB gives it a still high 61 from critics, but only a 4.7 from audiences.

I rarely use RT because I don't like their site format, or their scoring methods, but they typically are still generally have similar outcomes to IMBD so I'm not sure why this movie has such a wide variance. Usually the sites basically agree and if there is a large split it is between critic and audience scores on both sites.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious so I checked out the ratings. As you stated, Rotten Tomatoes gives The Djinn a very high 88% score from reviewers, and a 84% from audiences. However IMDB gives it a still high 61 from critics, but only a 4.7 from audiences.

I rarely use RT because I don't like their site format, or their scoring methods, but they typically are still generally have similar outcomes to IMBD so I'm not sure why this movie has such a wide variance. Usually the sites basically agree and if there is a large split it is between critic and audience scores on both sites.
You're spot on, and not sure what kind of RT audiences watched it, they should be banned from rating any movies in future. Even the IMBD crowd was a little generous, but more in line.