• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you who'd like to read about horror movie schticks and gimmicks back in the day:

Schlock & Awe: THE TINGLER | Nerdist
Never heard of The Tingler. But it makes me wish we had more classic films theaters nearby. There's an old theater downtown that does holiday classics around the same holidays, but so far all I've seen for the horror genre during Halloween month was Jaws, Halloween (I went twice), The Exorcist, The Shining, and Nosferatu. I love taking the wife on date night to these events. I will have to keep a closer eye on their schedules to see if The Tingler comes across it.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember watching Halloween 2 at the drive-in in my 1971 Gran Torino and at one point it scared one of the girls we were with so much she jumped in the seat and almost knocked herself unconscious on the roof!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was going to write about The Strangers Prey at Night but I saw that like 3-4 people have already expressed their displeasure.

I didn't think it was a horrible movie but it pales in comparison to the first one, which was excellent. If it was a stand alone it would be ok (5.5ish) but it drops a half a point to a point due to the first movie being a recent near-classic.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was going to write about The Strangers Prey at Night but I saw that like 3-4 people have already expressed their displeasure.

I didn't think it was a horrible movie but it pales in comparison to the first one, which was excellent. If it was a stand alone it would be ok (5.5ish) but it drops a half a point to a point due to the first movie being a recent near-classic.
Pretty sad attempt at a sequel. I simply couldn't get over all the bad writing. Seems like they chose to make that film as cheaply as possible and put all the money into the fx.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next time I watch this, I'll be on the lookout for that hint.
It's been a while since I've watched this, but I don't recall thinking that anyone got away uninfected. But you've sparked my curiosity! Might have to rewatch that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boobies?!?

Did anyone notify Chef of this yet?
Have no fear, the boobhound will pick up the scent as soon as he logs onto the Hoop.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tau (2018)

On Netflix! This was a unique film. The plot was very linear but with such a secluded setting it was forced to be creative. I found a lot of similarities with Don't Breathe in that aspect. The first thing that catches your attention is the filming styles & lighting work. They are superbly done with great use of color. Some pretty well framed shots especially in confined spaces. Typically in these settings the directors will fill up the majority of the run-time with lots of close-ups & restrained angles, but this wasn't the case. In Federico D'Alessandro's debut as director he got everything right, but where this film fails is in the writing.

For what could have been a very tense & dramatic thriller, this film seems to drag at times due in large part to a script that fails to provide much detail. The character building for Julia should have focused on her survival & intelligence skills rather than her thievery. We are basically forced to understand that this grifter is simply a very intelligent/jack-of-all-trades type of thief. Budding horror princess Maika Monroe stars as the main protagonist and did a great job. I always get her confused with Amber Heard, but I think Monroe is a much better actress. Ed Skrein also put on a good performance. Not really the most well-rounded antagonist, but he pairs well with Tau. Gary Oldman is rather wasted as the voice of Tau. The story isn't very compelling so the acting was definitely hindered, which was a shame for such a great cast. It fell a bit short in its ability to make the viewers connect with Julia. I felt more sorry for Tau than I ever did for her.

I wonder if this story could have used a bit more time to really develop into something greater. But I'm not all too sure that this plot had the juice to squeeze. The concept was simple. And it made me wonder if someone was a big Iron Man fan and thought Tony Stark's AI 'Jarvis' would make a good horror film. This sci-fi thriller felt like an episode of the Twilight Zone but with a glossier presentation. It lacked the excitement & storyline to make it more of a motion picture than a TV-movie. More drama than thriller. It sports a great cast and has good cgi, but fails to stick the landing. Decent entertainment though.

Decent sci-fi TV movie but lacks a compelling storyline... 6.5/10

Last edited:

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Houses October Built 2 - I liked the first one well enough for a found footage, it was a bit different. This was a terrible reach at a sequel. Just nothing good about it at all.

Tragedy Girls - Didn't care for the overall premise, but it was enjoyable enough for a teen flick.

The Sender (1982) - Telepathy story where guy in mental ward sends images/visions to lady doctor. Feel like I've seen similar before. It was okay, not the best not the worst.

No boobs to report.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Houses October Built 2 - I liked the first one well enough for a found footage, it was a bit different. This was a terrible reach at a sequel. Just nothing good about it at all.

Tragedy Girls - Didn't care for the overall premise, but it was enjoyable enough for a teen flick.

The Sender (1982) - Telepathy story where guy in mental ward sends images/visions to lady doctor. Feel like I've seen similar before. It was okay, not the best not the worst.

No boobs to report.
HOB2... I was not a fan of the first so I crossed this one off as soon as I saw the trailer. Glad to know I didn't miss anything.

Tragedy Girls... Saw the trailer not too long ago and thought it looked like a great horror comedy. Still lookin forward to watching it.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOB2... I was not a fan of the first so I crossed this one off as soon as I saw the trailer. Glad to know I didn't miss anything.

Tragedy Girls... Saw the trailer not too long ago and thought it looked like a great horror comedy. Still lookin forward to watching it.
yeah, it was a fun movie. stars negasonic teenage warhead and new storm. in tone i'd probably compare it a bit to the babysitter.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Serbian Film

tenor.gif

i don't know what i need to watch to cleanse me of that.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we are spoon-fed too much nowadays, but a simple 2-3 minute scene that incorporated both the background & the timeline would have been easy to do and wouldn't have been overwhelming at all. A better closeup of those newspapers would have probably revealed a lot that. Given the amount of newspapers he had pinned up makes me think the invasion was some time in the past. All I'm really sayin is that it takes quite the leaps of faith to connect all these dots, and really nobody can say for certain whats true or not. Its all theories. Which is why so many people are drilling the ratings. I'm sure the ratings will hold because like you & I, people should be able to use their imagination to make up their own connections.

Well if the mother was indeed pregnant in the beginning sequence then I don't know why the director made the point after the timejump to get a close-up of her belly. They wanted it to be very clear that she was pregnant AFTER the timejump.

And another thing that I might have missed... Where the F did they get all that beach sand to make all those trails? That would have taken months or longer to complete.

Just watched A Quiet Place now. A visual and auditory very well done movie but there are some real problems in the story. I want to expand on this but after a few years here I still don't see how to use the spoiler option!

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched A Quiet Place now. A visual and auditory very well done movie but there are some real problems in the story. I want to expand on this but after a few years here I still don't see how to use the spoiler option!
If you look to the row with all of the different options available, go to the right of the film (media) button and you'll find it says insert, click on that and select spoiler. I think you got it from there.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look to the row with all of the different options available, go to the right of the film (media) button and you'll find it says insert, click on that and select spoiler. I think you got it from there.

Sometimes I am brain dead and technologically stumped!