• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horrible SS contracts of past and present collide - NYY @ TEX 7/27-7/30

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duane, why do you keep giving people rainbows?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do Gallardo for Pentecost plus whatever else, give us a higher level catching prospect to replace Alfaro

I have no problem with that, and yeah Gallardo would give them some depth in that rotation. Problem for them is going to be they are 2 games out of the WC and 7 or so back of the Yanks. Adding Tulo, Price and possibly Gallardo they still have an uphill battle and no guaranteed playoff team, but I'm all for making our team better

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs trying to move Castro, hey we feel your pain. At least Castro has some power and is a bit younger, we have Elvis. :mad2:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the meaning of the rainbow?

I always thought it meant you thought the post you marked with a rainbow, was gay or lacked merit or something along those lines. I don't think it was intended to be used as a positive thing, mostly derogatory. Thats just my thoughts though

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought it meant you thought the post you marked with a rainbow, was gay or lacked merit or something along those lines. I don't think it was intended to be used as a positive thing, mostly derogatory. Thats just my thoughts though
Thanks. I'm sure Duane didn't mean it that way.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Williams could rise fast with Phillies

Note: FanDuel is hosting a one-day Fantasy Baseball league tonight. It's $5 to enter and pays out $100,000 in cash prizes. First place wins $10,000. Sign up now!

Wednesday's trade between the Rangers and Phillies is rightfully known as "the Cole Hamels deal," but Fantasy owners could soon become familiar with one of the lesser-known players included in the swap. Nick Williams entered this season as the Rangers' fifth-ranked prospect, according to Baseball America, as he showed the ability to hit for power and average as a 20-year-old at Advanced Class A Myrtle Beach.

All Williams has done this season is to maintain his batting average and power numbers at the Double-A level (.299 with 13 home runs and 21 doubles in 97 games) while making dramatic improvements in his plate discipline. While he managed a 4.5 percent walk rate last season (including time spent at the Rookie and Double-A levels), Williams has bumped himself up to a 7.7 percent rate in 2015. Even more stark is the improvement in his strikeout per at-bat ratio, which has plummeted from 31.0 to 20.4 percent.

The Phillies' current collection of outfielders, including Domonic Brown, Cody Asche, Odubel Herrera and the possibly-soon-to-be-traded Ben Revere, doesn't present any serious roadblocks to Williams' arrival in the majors. Having yet to reach Triple-A, it is entirely possible that Williams won't get to Philadelphia before next season, but with a strong showing (presumably at Double-A Reading), a September callup seems plausible if not quite probable.

I spoke with Williams just prior to his appearance in the Futures Games earlier this month, and he lent some insight into the recent improvements he has made, as well as the work he is doing to speed his ascent through the minors.

On last season's experience in the Arizona Fall League:

"I learned a lot. It was cool to be around new guys and teammates, just to feed off them and ask them questions. (Reds Triple-A manager) Delino DeShields, Sr., helped me a lot as far as approach...to get my hands around faster. It was great to hear from people outside your own organization."

On his efforts to reduce strikeouts this season:

"Early on, I probably went for, like, 50 games without swinging at the first pitch, just to really get an idea, location-wise, of what I wanted...I swing at a lot of pitches low, and I never really had a problem with the pitch high. Taking pitches really helped my approach this year a lot."

On what he is focusing on now:

"I'm just trying to be as consistent as I can...Not (be) a player they call up, get hot and then just plummet."

Williams seems ticketed for Reading, and if that's where he lands, it will be interesting to see if he can take advantage of the power-friendly park. Regardless of where the Phillies place him, Williams' stock in dynasty formats is rising, and owners in NL-only redraft leagues should closely monitor his progress. If he appears to be on the fast track, he will be worth picking up in those formats.

NICE!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I'm sure Duane didn't mean it that way.

Yeah I didnt figure, thought it was kinda funny myself. No pun intended

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Williams could rise fast with Phillies

I said earlier I thought the two I would miss the most were Williams and Thompson. And I really like this young man and wish him well with the Phillies.

Seems like a good kid, and he sure seems like he gets "it."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I didnt figure, thought it was kinda funny myself. No pun intended

Yeah, I don't see Duane as being very mean spirited at all.

We'll all be anxiously awaiting his reply to see what his "interpretation" is for the rainbow. hahaha

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This pretty much.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on a iPad, when I go to a web site most recent icons come up. When I click on sportshoopla one it is suppose to send to the last thread I visited. It is sending me to a different page every time.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He expected to have Holland and Darvish in the rotation. That's a huge difference. If they'd been healthy he would've only needed Martinez, Tepesch, Perez or chi chi to fill the 5 spot. That's pretty damn good.

Now the bullpen is a different story. He blew that big time. Hopefully he learned from it.

my feelings exactly

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pineda not pitching tonight. Going on DL with a forearm strain.