• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horrible SS contracts of past and present collide - NYY @ TEX 7/27-7/30

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nor I, but keep in mind philly is taking on all of Harry's remaining contract.
I already wrote that off as sunk cost. So I guess we can pretend it's better. Just not getting the thinking with how fucked up the bullpen and roster looks.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Alfaro OR JT would have been palatable. Losing them both for a 31 year old pitcher past his prime is the deal breaker for me.

Especially Jake Thompson. I think he ends up better than Chi Chi. Alfaro has incredible potential but injury history is worrisome. I think JT will be a solid #3 in the majors by 2017.

And I feel really bad for Matt Harrison.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now JD you have 36 hours to do anything and everything to unload Choo and his "one of the worst contracts" ever.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude just threw a no-hitter, but, he's past his prime. How many of those have been thrown by guys past their prime and can you tell me when their prime ended? Nobody knows on these type deals until they play out, who the ultimate winner is. It appears we overpaid, but don't buy it until you see results down the road. Alfaro missed most of the year, what if he doesn't ever get back to good health or stick as a catcher. What if Thompson never makes it out of AAA? Asher, Eickhoff are pretty much no guarantee. Moving the money owed to Harrison, is almost as close, as a guarantee to recouping funds on a bad investment, as you can get. I don't like it, but I will wait before I pass judgement. Too many variables will happen, before this is even close to playing itself out. Truth really be told, JD has to fix the offense, and the bullpen for this to make a difference either way.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now JD you have 36 hours to do anything and everything to unload Choo and his "one of the worst contracts" ever.

That probably doesn't happen until the offseason

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just some random thoughts here at this hour but this deal had to be done. JD knows he has to compete with the Angels and Astros and sooner than later.

He will look like a genius if somehow the Rangers compete for a wildcard slot.

Hard to see Alfaro go but at least Chi Chi was not included. If he develops his change he can be a solid #3. Although Thompson is a strong power pitcher, I'll take Chi Chi over him because of the movement he can get on his pitches.

Hopefully Hamels has enough left in his arm since he's thrown over 27,000 pitches since 2007.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Alfaro OR JT would have been palatable. Losing them both for a 31 year old pitcher past his prime is the deal breaker for me.

Especially Jake Thompson. I think he ends up better than Chi Chi. Alfaro has incredible potential but injury history is worrisome. I think JT will be a solid #3 in the majors by 2017.

And I feel really bad for Matt Harrison.
A lot of people thought Blake Beavan was a sure fire MLB hit and upset about trading him off for Lee. There is no way we can tell what JT will amount too down the road. And being past his prime, which I am not posititve he is, can still be a TORP. There are a number of pitchers who I will take just past their prime if their prime was something stellar.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We freed up a lot of money and I would have to think that JD and company spoke to Harrison about what all was happening. Harrison will not be in the Phillies plan of trying to reload and I can see him being released. I appreciate Harrison and hate that his injury happened to him and wish nothing but the best for him.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if there is anything to Brinson coming out. Some positives on Alberto and Mazara.

TRIPLE-A ROUND ROCK (59-44) allowed only four singles in a 5-0 win over Omaha (Kansas City.) SS Hanser Alberto had three hits and is batting .378 for 74 at-bats since returning from the majors.

DOUBLE-A FRISCO (46-56) ran its losing streak to six games with a 5-4 loss to Midland (Oakland.) Frisco is 6-13 against Midland this season. DH Nomar Mazara drove in one run and is hitting .395 in his last 38 at-bats.

HIGH-A HIGH DESERT (52-47) had 11 hits in a 10-3 win at Bakersfield (Seattle.) CF Chris Garia drove in five runs, three on a homer in the six-run second inning.

RHP Jose Valdespina worked two perfect innings and has retired the last 12 hitters faced.

OF Lewis Brinson, hitting .337, came out of the game in the sixth inning for a pinch-hitter. There was no sign of an injury.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Pretty sure no one wanted Hamels to got to Houston for their prospects
2. We sure did not want Harry as our starter. Even if he makes it back, could we endure the outings? He will get released and maybe he get a minor league contract IMO we gave up Thompson for money relief
3. Alfaro is the one huge talent upside but let's be honest here, he has not progressed as much as we had hoped and now is injured.
4. Our system is still loaded with LHB and Brinson is burning it up but with no place to go with Nick looking real good now who I think was piece that allows us not to give up Maz or Gallo

Always a risk if a player Pam's out like Nick Alfaro and JT but the door swings both ways We got a legit number one who is MVP caliber, LHRP power arm and salary relief. JD did his job. I have no immediate problem with that

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if there is anything to Brinson coming out. Some positives on Alberto and Mazara.

TRIPLE-A ROUND ROCK (59-44) allowed only four singles in a 5-0 win over Omaha (Kansas City.) SS Hanser Alberto had three hits and is batting .378 for 74 at-bats since returning from the majors.

DOUBLE-A FRISCO (46-56) ran its losing streak to six games with a 5-4 loss to Midland (Oakland.) Frisco is 6-13 against Midland this season. DH Nomar Mazara drove in one run and is hitting .395 in his last 38 at-bats.

HIGH-A HIGH DESERT (52-47) had 11 hits in a 10-3 win at Bakersfield (Seattle.) CF Chris Garia drove in five runs, three on a homer in the six-run second inning.

RHP Jose Valdespina worked two perfect innings and has retired the last 12 hitters faced.

OF Lewis Brinson, hitting .337, came out of the game in the sixth inning for a pinch-hitter. There was no sign of an injury.

Heading to Frisco next game. Long bus ride. Ha. (Hope he gets a flight)

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes more than talent to be a star in this league. Talented guys like Elvis need the will to improve and drive to be better. Not. Trying to judge but since the contract, he has not performed as paid. Hamels has. He just threw a no hitter and turned down Houston. We brought a professional into here not an unproven

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, JD getting Amaro to take Harry and his salary, and include cash for Hamels was fucking genius. It was basically a give the JT for Harry's contract deal. That tilts the deal in our favor IMO.

I knew you'd come around. :suds:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already wrote that off as sunk cost. So I guess we can pretend it's better. Just not getting the thinking with how fucked up the bullpen and roster looks.

It's only sunk cost if you have no way of recovering it. JD just recovered it.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be amusing to listen too all the media, talking-heads - locally and nationally - dissect the "great trade" over the next few days.

One thing which always bothers me is how certain writers/show hosts want to assess who "won vs lost" on the deal. To me, I honestly hope it works out decently for both parties. What reason would I want to see Asher, Harrison, or Alfaro fail, just b/c they aren't part of our organization. So obviously, I want to see Hamels succeed for us too.

Is there anything wrong with getting a very good "win/win situation" for both teams? Screw a bunch of, "boy, did we take advantage of them" kind of attitude.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be amusing to listen too all the media, talking-heads - locally and nationally - dissect the "great trade" over the next few days.

One thing which always bothers me is how certain writers/show hosts want to assess who "won vs lost" on the deal. To me, I honestly hope it works out decently for both parties. What reason would I want to see Asher, Harrison, or Alfaro fail, just b/c they aren't part of our organization. So obviously, I want to see Hamels succeed for us too.

Is there anything wrong with getting a very good "win/win situation" for both teams? Screw a bunch of, "boy, did we take advantage of them" kind of attitude.

I think that's very possible, but I think people are just worried about being the team to get fleeced. You ought to read that Cowlishaw article I posted. Just make sure there are no firearms or destructive objects within your reach when you do. It's complete trash.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know anything about the LHP we got along with Hamels?

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing which always bothers me is how certain writers/show hosts want to assess who "won vs lost" on the deal.

sadly, they do it because a lot of fans are morons who eat that shit up. I noted on here last night about how many phillies fans online were claiming that their team had been totally fleeced by the Rangers.