• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HOF Ballot Released

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me it is Chipper(and as a Cardinal fan that is hard to say) but he deserves it and Jim Thome, a skinny kid from Peoria Illinois who worked his ass off to become a clean power hitter....

BTW......LMAO at Brad Lidge....if it wasn't for Albert Pujols, no one would know who this guy was.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my all time favorite players Frank Thomas only played 42% of his games in the field. That's more than Edgar, and of course he was a better hitter. But he may have broken the seal on DHs and the HOF.
Thomas has 2 MVPs and 7 OTHER top 10 MVP finishes. Edgar only has 2 top 10s.

To get in as a DH, you have to be inner-rung HOF. Edgar is borderline at best.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my all time favorite players Frank Thomas only played 42% of his games in the field. That's more than Edgar, and of course he was a better hitter. But he may have broken the seal on DHs and the HOF.

If it had not been for Rickey Henderson, Frank Thomas was probably the most annoying batter I ever saw!!

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Annoying?

Yeah Annoying ... trust me it's a compliment ... he would talk pitches and foul them off ... until he got the pitch he wanted. If you're not on the Tigers ... that's annoying. Thomas had more walks than strikeouts ... how many modern players had that ... maybe Barry Bonds, but no one wanted to pitch to him ... therefore less annoying.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Annoying ... trust me it's a compliment ... he would talk pitches and foul them off ... until he got the pitch he wanted. If you're not on the Tigers ... that's annoying. Thomas had more walks than strikeouts ... how many modern players had that ... maybe Barry Bonds, but no one wanted to pitch to him ... therefore less annoying.

Got it. Agree 100%, Frank was easily one of the top 5 right handed hitters of all time. Maybe top 3. Mays being first.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. Agree 100%, Frank was easily one of the top 5 right handed hitters of all time. Maybe top 3. Mays being first.

OK my fandom got me carried away. I decided to look into it. Contenders would be Mays, a somewhat obscure hitter named Hank Aaron, Pujols, A-Rod (feel dirty including him but facts are facts), Thomas, Cabrera, Frank Robinson, Foxx...and I guess Trout is on his way. Maybe throw Manny in there to make it 10.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK my fandom got me carried away. I decided to look into it. Contenders would be Mays, a somewhat obscure hitter named Hank Aaron, Pujols, A-Rod (feel dirty including him but facts are facts), Thomas, Cabrera, Frank Robinson, Foxx...and I guess Trout is on his way. Maybe throw Manny in there to make it 10.

Take Aaron out of it ... he an arrogant self absorbed prick ... You forgot the best Rogers Hornsby ... Frank Thomas is a strong hitter that drove pitchers crazy ... If you have him a little overrated, it's like me overrating Al Kaline ... it's okay!!!

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take Aaron out of it ... he an arrogant self absorbed prick ... You forgot the best Rogers Hornsby ... Frank Thomas is a strong hitter that drove pitchers crazy ... If you have him a little overrated, it's like me overrating Al Kaline ... it's okay!!!

It's not a personality contest. Aaron was arguably the 2nd best right handed hitter of all time

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a personality contest. Aaron was arguably the 2nd best right handed hitter of all time

Rogers Hornsby
Willie Mays
Miguel Cabrera
Albert Pujols
Al Simmons
Rickey Henderson
Roberto Clemente
Hank Greenberg
Harry Heilmann
Frank Robinson
Alex Rodriguez
Joe Dimaggio
Frank Thomas
Jimmy Fox

I may have forgotten a couple, but if Aaron is 2nd it is crowded at 1st.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogers Hornsby
Willie Mays
Miguel Cabrera
Albert Pujols
Al Simmons
Rickey Henderson
Roberto Clemente
Hank Greenberg
Harry Heilmann
Frank Robinson
Alex Rodriguez
Joe Dimaggio
Frank Thomas
Jimmy Fox

I may have forgotten a couple, but if Aaron is 2nd it is crowded at 1st.

Come on man, Aaron was a better hitter than almost everyone on that list

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Aaron's best offensive seasons weren't that eye popping, he still had an outstanding peak and he was a top player for nearly two decades. 16 seasons where he was top 10 in WAR (14 top 5), 11 in OBP, 19 in SLG% and 18 in OPS+. While some of those players may have been better hitters in their prime, none of those guys really have the longevity Aaron did. Playing in the 60s/early 70s probably didn't do Hank's power numbers any favors either.

Last edited:

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of those guys maybe, but looking at the stats Heilman and Al Simmons don't even look close to Aaron to me. (a big thing I'm looking at is the fact that Aaron has 8 different seasons with a WAR of 8.0 or higher). Simmons doesn't have any.

Neither do Greenberg and Miggy, both of which are a bit surprising IMO. Their overall batting lines might be comparable, but some of them (especially Hank) had way less playing time than Aaron and never really had a decline phase.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy to think there was a point in time where Pujols looked like a legit top 20 (maybe 10) player of all-time. His bat really fell off.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither do Greenberg and Miggy, both of which are a bit surprising IMO. Their overall batting lines might be comparable, but some of them (especially Hank) had way less playing time than Aaron and never really had a decline phase.

It was called World War II

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit, i am NOT for Edgar in the HOF.... if he makes it, i won't complain as he is on top of the fence for me...

the reason i dont have him in:

he played in an offensive dominant era, so lots of his offensive SHOULD be over exaggerated... Sure, his Career BA is a .312, but he was only top 10 in the MLB 4 times, and BEST only once.. now that is very good, but the point is is that he wasn't really ever GREAT... he is one of those players who is great because of being consistently very good...

being a DH doesn't help his case, i have higher standards for someone who ONLY hit... as he played less than 1/3 of his career in the field...

Dude, if you want to make a case for/against offensive greatness you know full well that you have to cite something more/better than just BA. I'm not saying there's no case to be made against Edgar's offensive greatness, just that you're not really making it there.There was a lot more to Edgar on offense than what can be measured by batting average, and I think you know that.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On a related note, I remember going to see the Mariners play the Yankees and basically telling my wife "if you want to see a good at bat, pay attention to this" when Edgar came up to lead off the 2nd.

He watched five pitches, none of which were terrible, and then hit the sixth one off the top of the wall in LF. Anecdotal bullshit, I know, but that's how I'll always remember Edgar. Ended up being a great game too :wink:

Seattle Mariners at New York Yankees Box Score, August 9, 2003 | Baseball-Reference.com