• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hawkeyes 2013-2014 BB thread

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just shows everyone...when refs call the hand check fouls against teams that play thug-defense...teams like Ohio St (and Wisconsin) are way over rated.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts, agree or disagree I don't care---this was not a signature win, OSU was way way way overrated, they are top 15-20 at best, from what I saw in them in the MSU game to this game, they have no go to guy and can't compete with a long team. Due to this, I would say Iowa is deserving of being ranked higher than OSU at this time and I would put them in 4th in the B10 right now...have to go 1 Wisconsin 2 MSU 3 Iowa 4 OSU 5 Illinois 6 Mich/Minn tie

McCabe - guess it was just nerves, but yep, his shooting is streaky, the rest of his game I like
Woodbury - I have never seen a guy get screwed on so many calls, he is over 7 feet, and on the thinner side, so any reaction he does gets noticed, but you watch, this kid will dominate as a senior
White - just loved his tenacity there on the half court wild whirling dervish off the glass play, but he so carried the ball on his spin at the top of the key
Uthoff - really happy he transferred
Gesell - it worries me a bit that he might be too short, but I forget he is a sophomore, glad Marble handled the ball at the end, Mike looked a bit lost but came up big on the FT's when he came back in

This team is built pretty well to have a special year...I would love to see us beat Baylor in the NCAA's just for a bit of sweet revenge.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawkeye,

I too don't think this is a signature win like the pundits think. I do think today's win was a significant win though: Iowa didn't give this game away! The team found a way to win against a highly ranked team -- on the road. I do think OSU is overrated and Craft has a miserable B1G conference season in his senior year. Craft is hurt by not having any scorers around him. Craft doesn't have the skill set necessary to carry this team - he can't shoot because of the hitches in his mechanics.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are fucking retarded. OSU is the 3rd ranked team in the country. We beat them on the road. They lost to MSU (top 5 team) on the road by 2. This was a GREAT win and there are more to come. You sound like SEC homers. Come on man.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wing, if we beat Wisconsin and MSU, then I will be thrilled, I did not consider OSU to be a top 3 team, not even sure how they got that high other than reputation. I really like Thad Matta as a coach, but I just didn't see them as a top 5. Don't get me wrong, I will take it and be happy we beat them when they were top 5, but you watch, they won't see top 10 again this year. I could be wrong, but I doubt it here. Been playing and watching ball way too long.

Actually OSU reminds me a bit of Iowa last year, they had us down by 9 and were up on MSU but couldn't close it out, just like last year we had troubles. No doubt this is a significant win for us for that reason, we closed this one out and really dominated the last 5 minutes.

Now not to get a big head and go to finish more games and go on a nice win streak. We have 2 tough games coming up so just win each one and keep going. Just my opinion and ok for you to disagree, but OSU was just overrated IMO.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not getting a big head over this win. I called the win. Vegas, however; didn't call an iowa win and despite your saying osu wasn't very good, they and the pollsters disagree. This was a signature win for Iowa. It was our only road win of the season and osu's first home loss in a long time.

You can downplay the win all you want, but I think it's stupid. What the hell do you expect from this team? A couple years ago we lost 20+ games.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU is going to struggle the rest of the way. The B1G is an incredibly tough conference. From what I have seen this season, Iowa is in a better position moving forward than Ohio St is. OSU is missing a number of key elements on offense compared to Iowa.

Iowa still has a number of areas to clean up. But today's performance is a good sign.

Time to get ready for Minnesota in Carver!! Looking for Iowa to build off of that road win today!!!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wing, how about I call it a big win, not just a signature win? hahaha, the best score besides Iowa's yesterday was Northwestern beating Illinois up in Evanston. You are right and so is Aaron, hard to play on the road and win. Minnesota is no slouch, so we bring it and prove we are a top 10 team.

Anyone know our current RPI?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is most definitely a signature win!!!! Name the last 5 teams that have won at Ohio State, and then look what the date is on the 5th team... If Ohio State is over rated, then the B1G isn't a very good conference based on OSU taking MSU to ot, I don't get how this isn't a signature win? Did I mention that going into this game OSU had a top 10 RPI? Iowa is a legit team, that can compete with any team in the county this season.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how anyone could argue that a win at #5 OSU isn't a signature win. Have any other teams won on the road against a top 5 team? It's probably the best win of the season, by any team.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm most amazed how often Iowa attacks the paint and gets no fouls called on Ohio St. Then, Ohio St attacks the paint and gets fouls called against Iowa. Simply amazing.

If the refs don't call Craft, and the rest of OSU, for hand-check calls...going to be tough four Iowa to win. Craft is only good because he is allowed to mug people without the refs calling fouls. I'm really surprised that Craft didn't go to thug-Wisconsin the way he hacks people every game.

:lol: bitter much? Maybe your team lost at Wisconsin because your coach threw a temper tantrum.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wing, if we beat Wisconsin and MSU, then I will be thrilled, I did not consider OSU to be a top 3 team, not even sure how they got that high other than reputation. I really like Thad Matta as a coach, but I just didn't see them as a top 5. Don't get me wrong, I will take it and be happy we beat them when they were top 5, but you watch, they won't see top 10 again this year. I could be wrong, but I doubt it here. Been playing and watching ball way too long.

Actually OSU reminds me a bit of Iowa last year, they had us down by 9 and were up on MSU but couldn't close it out, just like last year we had troubles. No doubt this is a significant win for us for that reason, we closed this one out and really dominated the last 5 minutes.

Now not to get a big head and go to finish more games and go on a nice win streak. We have 2 tough games coming up so just win each one and keep going. Just my opinion and ok for you to disagree, but OSU was just overrated IMO.

I'm almost chalking up the game @Iowa as a loss. They always seem to play the Badgers tough, and have a lot of talent this year. Plus there's the revenge factor with the way they lost a double digit lead in Madison.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: bitter much? Maybe your team lost at Wisconsin because your coach threw a temper tantrum.

Yeah we lost @ Wisconisin for a lot of reasons- mostly because we couldn't answer when the Badgers started nailing 3's in the second half and also because our coach gave you 4 freebies at the line at a crucial time in the game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa lost to Wisconsin because Iowa was getting killed on the glass the last 5 minutes of the game. The back breaker that game was with a couple of minutes left Marble hit a 3 to bring it with in 1, Wisconsin drives down misses a jumper, gets the offensive rebound and hits a 3. Not a bad loss, but very frustrating. In the grand scheme of things, that game will mean very little. The goal is to get invited to the dance, which Iowa will do.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
done with the demographical type of win this was...here are some facts:

Iowa RPI is 27
Ohio State RPI is 16
Wisconsin is 1
Nova is 4
Iowa State is 5

Jim Rome is Flaming

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa lost to Wisconsin because Iowa was getting killed on the glass the last 5 minutes of the game. The back breaker that game was with a couple of minutes left Marble hit a 3 to bring it with in 1, Wisconsin drives down misses a jumper, gets the offensive rebound and hits a 3. Not a bad loss, but very frustrating. In the grand scheme of things, that game will mean very little. The goal is to get invited to the dance, which Iowa will do.

I don't think there's any doubt Iowa gets a bid. I'd be surprised if they end up lower than a 5 seed.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
done with the demographical type of win this was...here are some facts:

Iowa RPI is 27
Ohio State RPI is 16
Wisconsin is 1
Nova is 4
Iowa State is 5

Are these RPIs prior to the weekend?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wing, how about I call it a big win, not just a signature win? hahaha, the best score besides Iowa's yesterday was Northwestern beating Illinois up in Evanston. You are right and so is Aaron, hard to play on the road and win. Minnesota is no slouch, so we bring it and prove we are a top 10 team.

Anyone know our current RPI?[/QUOTE]

As of this morning Iowas RPI is 21. We are top 10 in Sagarin, Pomeroy, Massey and 12th in BPI. Not sure how much the committee uses all metrics but if you want to see a composite ranking of a true top 25 based on computer numbers it is here.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...d-top-25-per-composite-computer-rankings.html

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes pre poll RPI, Iowa is now up to 18, Wisconsin, Nova, ISU all stay the same, didn't check anyone else, but essentially Iowa with 3 losses has lost to 10, 6 and 3 in the polls...gotta love it, all of us suffered these last 5 years and this is huge for any Hawkeye fan to get back to this point.

I just want to see this as consistent, this a special team but we need to see this out of next year's team and beyond as well.