• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harvin traded to the Jets?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is correct. We can roll over the unused cap we save from his salary this year into next year, however.

...and that is also correct.:yahoo:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you guys still reading the OLD news on the trade? so i assume you all still think the Hawks can get as high as a 2nd round pick? That is not correct. The HIGHEST they can get for Harvin is a 4th rounder and this is if he is on the Jets Roster for the 2015 season. In other words we wont get anything better than a 6th. Well unless he totally goes off and pretty much forces the Jets to carry him because he puts up MVP type numbers. Harvin is off the books. Remember what my Wife does people, i told you all when we were on ESPN boards, Harvin is totally off the books. This is from the person who DOES the books. ( no not me ) and She would know much better than all the hearsay. The Jets had to pick up his tab, i linked a report showing you JUST that.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you guys still reading the OLD news on the trade? so i assume you all still think the Hawks can get as high as a 2nd round pick? That is not correct. The HIGHEST they can get for Harvin is a 4th rounder and this is if he is on the Jets Roster for the 2015 season. In other words we wont get anything better than a 6th. Well unless he totally goes off and pretty much forces the Jets to carry him because he puts up MVP type numbers. Harvin is off the books. Remember what my Wife does people, i told you all when we were on ESPN boards, Harvin is totally off the books. This is from the person who DOES the books. ( no not me ) and She would know much better than all the hearsay. The Jets had to pick up his tab, i linked a report showing you JUST that.

*sigh*

This isn't hearsay, these are rules under the CBA. And your link does not support your argument.

Let's try it again.

You are right, Seattle is not paying Harvin another dime. In that sense he is off the books. He sees no more of Mr. Allen's money.

However.

For cap purposes, his signing bonus is pro rated over the course of his contact. There is a cap penalty for trading or releasing a player before the end of their contract. That penalty is the percentage of their signing bonus times the amount of their contract remaining. (For example, a player signs a five year deal with a $10M SB, then is released ad two years. The penalty would be $6M.) That penalty is applied against next years cap if the trade or release happens after June first.

The penalty wane incurring for Harvin is a bit over $7M.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sorry but you can't just somehow make that signing bonus money just disappear magically. It is money that was paid day 1 of the contract being signed that Harvin no matter what would never have to pay back (unless he possibly went to prison for killing a guy kind of thing but even there the team would still most likely take a big cap hit). Teams do this to help keep the cost especially the first year down and push the bigger cap numbers until later in the contract. This is why the contract with Harvin was such a bad one in not only did they give up draft picks but then they gave him a pretty decent signing bonus. It is why cutting him does save some money per say but it also isn't that perfect situation as really the best the team can do is break even with money saved cutting against money spent in signing bonus. Not sure why that is so hard for you to understand. You are technically correct in he is no longer being paid by the Hawks. he will not see his name on another pay check from the Hawks. That doesn't mean his name does not show up against the Cap Number though.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't mean his name does not show up against the Cap Number though.

It may have little impact assuming Seattle carries over the savings from Harvin's salary to next years cap. While techinically on the 2015 cap, it will have been paid for by his 2014 cap savings.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may have little impact assuming Seattle carries over the savings from Harvin's salary to next years cap. While techinically on the 2015 cap, it will have been paid for by his 2014 cap savings.

I agree with that. It has a bit of effect in the idea that because this year's cap savings has to cover next year's they are somewhat out the money but I would agree to look at it more as the team just breaking even for getting rid of Harvin plus I guess coming out a bit on top because of the trade. I mean obviously overall they have lost out in the situation because of the draft picks given up and the money that was spent on a guy that only played a handful of games but the Hawks got out like a smart team should be did well to break even like they did.