• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harvin traded to the Jets?

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap numbers

The team saved $7,117,647 in base pay for this season by trading him. That’s the prorated amount left on Harvin’s $11 million salary for 2014, on the contract he signed with Seattle upon his trade here in March 2013. That deal still has four years remaining on it, at salaries of $10.5 million next season, $9.9 million in 2016, $9.95 million in 2017 and $11.15 million in 2018. Harvin’s contract is not guaranteed beyond this season.

Seattle does take an accelerated salary-cap hit of about $7.2 million from Harvin’s $12 million signing bonus it had already paid him, as part of the $25.5 million guaranteed Harvin got when he signed his deal. But they no longer have that $2.4 million of his signing bonus spread against its cap in each of the 2015, ’16 and ’17 league years.

And not having Harvin’s $10.5 million contract in 2015 — assuming they weren’t going to release him or re-negotiate his deal — should help the Seahawks re-sign quarterback Russell Wilson plus linebackers Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright in the next year or two.
Because we traded him, the 7.1 mil we save because the Jets are now picking up the tab, covers the 7.2 mil accelerated cap hit. After this year he is completely off the books cap wise. We may have not recouped the draft pick capital, but we sure did a good job getting out of a 60+ mil contract half way through the second year of the deal. Actually a good trade in that respect. I wonder what the conditions are on the conditional draft pick are. What do we need to have it change from a 4th rounder to a second rounder. I would guess health and is he still on the Jets roster next season would be the main ones.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap numbers

Because we traded him, the 7.1 mil we save because the Jets are now picking up the tab, covers the 7.2 mil accelerated cap hit. After this year he is completely off the books cap wise. We may have not recouped the draft pick capital, but we sure did a good job getting out of a 60+ mil contract half way through the second year of the deal. Actually a good trade in that respect. I wonder what the conditions are on the conditional draft pick are. What do we need to have it change from a 4th rounder to a second rounder. I would guess health and is he still on the Jets roster next season would be the main ones.

Also don't forget if we can get there second round pick, if its based simply on being on the roster or games played, its going to be a high draft pick, 33-40, cause they are 1-6 right now. Even with Harvin I don't feel they are going to turn that ship around too much.So if we are lucky it might become what we'd call a late first round pick.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap numbers

So the 7.1 mil figure you are using was his salary cap hit for 2014? If that is case it does take away the 7.2 mil acceleration but don't forget you still need to fill that spot so that's still means a cap hit. Dead money is still dead money.

As for the conditions I'm interested as well. Games played and performance would be my guess. In order to get it to a 2nd you probably need him to blow up. That may be a problem given the dumpster fire that is the Jets.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the 7.1 mil figure you are using was his salary cap hit for 2014? If that is case it does take away the 7.2 mil acceleration but don't forget you still need to fill that spot so that's still means a cap hit. Dead money is still dead money.

As for the conditions I'm interested as well. Games played and performance would be my guess. In order to get it to a 2nd you probably need him to blow up. That may be a problem given the dumpster fire that is the Jets.

The spot needs to be filled, but if it's a PS player, then it won't affect the cap one bit.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The spot needs to be filled, but if it's a PS player, then it won't affect the cap one bit.

Yes & no. Only the top 51 salaries count towards the cap. Because you removed Harvin from the equation, the formally 52nd highest salary will get bumped up, making it the 51st highest salary & now count against the cap. Usually these are league minimum salaries. And then the PS player that gets activated, will fall in line with his minimum salary somewhere after that & not count against the cap.

Basically, the PS player who is activated won't count against the cap but another player on the roster who previously wasn't counting towards the cap, now will.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignore my last reply, I was looking at the offseason cap rules. I got it wrong.

A PS player who is activated to the 53 man roster will see his salary go from $107,100($6k a week) to $420,000 for the year. And they must remain on the roster for 3 weeks. So you will see a cap increase from activating a PS player.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignore my last reply, I was looking at the offseason cap rules. I got it wrong.

A PS player who is activated to the 53 man roster will see his salary go from $107,100($6k a week) to $420,000 for the year. And they must remain on the roster for 3 weeks. So you will see a cap increase from activating a PS player.

I was reading your post above and just about to post this. This is exactly why teams have to have some cap room heading into the season because most likely somebody on the 53-man roster goes on IR meaning another player has to come up and that contract now counting against the Cap as well.

The Seahawks made the right move for a player making so much that was doing so little and being a lockerroom cancer but cap wise this one definitely hurts the team. Essentially the Seahawks are paying a guy $7 million next year that is not on the team. That is usually a pretty high quality starter. Now yes they get some money relief this year that helps cover some of that but you still can't get around the fact that the bonus money he is being paid still takes money away from other players that will actually be on the team or won't be able to be paid because of some lack of Cap Space. Every team has dead money though so as long as Seattle can limit the rest they shouldn't be in too much trouble cap wise for next season. Just might have to get a bit more creative with a couple of contracts to get them to work out.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys dead money is still dead money and these suggestions won' t change that.. When the Redskins finally cut Albert Haynesworth and replaced him with a cheaper option nobody was patting them on the back. No they laughed at them, as they should have, for the dead money cap space they were forced to have on their books due to the Hayneworth. And of course the Skins did not give up a 1st, 3rd and 7th. Replacing Harvin with a practice squad player may lessen the cap hit but it's still a cap hit not to mention a huge drop off in talent.

I see why you guys are feeling this way. You just won a title you've been looking for all your life. Your team is still the best out there with amazing young talent. So you can overlook this bad situation with all the good floating around your team. But step back, look at this objectively, and you will come to realize this was and remains a really bad deal for the Hawks.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys dead money is still dead money and these suggestions won' t change that.. When the Redskins finally cut Albert Haynesworth and replaced him with a cheaper option nobody was patting them on the back. No they laughed at them, as they should have, for the dead money cap space they were forced to have on their books due to the Hayneworth. And of course the Skins did not give up a 1st, 3rd and 7th. Replacing Harvin with a practice squad player may lessen the cap hit but it's still a cap hit not to mention a huge drop off in talent.

I see why you guys are feeling this way. You just won a title you've been looking for all your life. Your team is still the best out there with amazing young talent. So you can overlook this bad situation with all the good floating around your team. But step back, look at this objectively, and you will come to realize this was and remains a really bad deal for the Hawks.

It's a TRADE, he was not cut so there is no DEAD money lmao. Jets just took over his whole salary. Thing is the Hawks set it up so he could be cut at the end of this season and they would have owed him nothing. Thats the difference between a good front office and that crap the deadskins have.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a TRADE, he was not cut so there is no DEAD money lmao. Jets just took over his whole salary. Thing is the Hawks set it up so he could be cut at the end of this season and they would have owed him nothing. Thats the difference between a good front office and that crap the deadskins have.

Even in a trade there is dead money, in a trade that dead money gets accelerated. Harvin was a cap hit of 11+ mil, since we traded him the Jets will pick up 7.1 mil of that. The dead money is around 7.2 mil (pro rated signing bonus) which we now owe this year, so basically we will have a cap hit of 11+ mil on Harvin this year even though he only played 5 games with us. The beauty of this trade is he is completely off the cap books after this season.If we cut him after this season, we would of been on the hook for 7.2 mil of dead money divided up in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 seasons.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More media information

The Jets were the team that ended up making a deal for Percy Harvin, but they were hardly the only call Seattle general manager John Schneider made over the last few weeks, Conor Orr of NFL.com reports.

Sources involved in the process told Ian Rapoport of NFL Network that the Colts, Browns, Broncos and Buccaneers were also among the teams Schneider looked at for a possible deal.

A Seahawks-Browns deal potentially hinged on the Browns trading tight end Jordan Cameron.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why don't you come back when you know what the Hell you are talking about. OK?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Seattle got supremely lucky last year when Harvin got hurt and had to have surgery. At first we were all pretty bummed because we all had such a high anticipation of how beastly he would be. Now looking back it appears we may have dodged a bullet big time. Harvin was a good team mate all that time because he wasn't playing. Had he been playing for the full year who knows how much shit he would have caused and who knows if our fairy-tale season would have ended up as a nightmare instead. The simple fact that he was I.R.'d meant he had no cause to complain about how he was used. It appears the moment he got healthy the trouble started, at least as early as Superbowl week when he punched Tate. Good thing he didn't get healthy earlier or we may not be champs right now.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even in a trade there is dead money, in a trade that dead money gets accelerated. Harvin was a cap hit of 11+ mil, since we traded him the Jets will pick up 7.1 mil of that. The dead money is around 7.2 mil (pro rated signing bonus) which we now owe this year, so basically we will have a cap hit of 11+ mil on Harvin this year even though he only played 5 games with us. The beauty of this trade is he is completely off the cap books after this season.If we cut him after this season, we would of been on the hook for 7.2 mil of dead money divided up in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 seasons.

That's why there is no DEAD money. He is off the books now as far as 2015 goes. COMPLETELY off the books. No dead money.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't you come back when you know what the Hell you are talking about. OK?

LOL a Deadskins fan, one of the most ignorant fan bases in all of football.

"The Jets pick up the balance of his guaranteed base salary — 10/17ths of $11 million ($6.47 million) and the non-guaranteed four additional years of his deal, at $10.5 million in 2015, $9.9 million in 2016, $9.95 million in 2017, and $11.15 million in 2018. The $47.97 million deal actually is a year-to-year arrangement, with no triggers or other devices aimed at forcing the Jets to decide what to do with Harvin before Week One of the regular season."

all i am saying is people need to look at the trade and what was in it before assuming. The Hawks made it so in the trade the Jets took over the rest of his contract. No dead money.

The Bad part of the trade . The best the Hawks can get is a 4th not a 2nd.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"This time around, Harvin was traded for a conditional mid-rounder, that will be anywhere from a fourth-round to a sixth-round pick. If Harvin's on the Jets roster in 2015, then Seattle will get a fourth-round pick, otherwise the Seahawks will get a sixth-round pick in the trade."

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why there is no DEAD money. He is off the books now as far as 2015 goes. COMPLETELY off the books. No dead money.

"The Jets pick up the balance of his guaranteed base salary — 10/17ths of $11 million ($6.47 million) and the non-guaranteed four additional years of his deal, at $10.5 million in 2015, $9.9 million in 2016, $9.95 million in 2017, and $11.15 million in 2018. The $47.97 million deal actually is a year-to-year arrangement, with no triggers or other devices aimed at forcing the Jets to decide what to do with Harvin before Week One of the regular season."

all i am saying is people need to look at the trade and what was in it before assuming. The Hawks made it so in the trade the Jets took over the rest of his contract. No dead money.

Please stop digging.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The part you are forgetting is the Signing Bonus. He had a $12 million signing bonus when he joined up with the Seahawks. A signing bonus is spread out over the entirety of the contract even if it is more of a 2-year type deal that still means that $6 million of that signing bonus would be spread out over the final 2-years of the contract. So that is $6 million of the dead money. Then there is another $1.2 million in dead money for next season for something in his contract that I am not quite sure on.

Here is a link if you want to see the dead money for the Seahawks after this season.

Seattle Seahawks Salary Cap | Over the Cap

So as much as you want to say there is no dead money that doesn't make you right.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to report guys, but Percy has a $6.9 mil dead money hit this year and a $7.2 mil dead money hit next year.
That is my understanding.
He will be completely off our books in 2016.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to report guys, but Percy has a $6.9 mil dead money hit this year and a $7.2 mil dead money hit next year.
That is my understanding.
He will be completely off our books in 2016.

That is correct. We can roll over the unused cap we save from his salary this year into next year, however.