• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh pulls commit's offer two weeks before signing day

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA Bylaw 15.5.6.1 limits FBS football programs to a total number of scholarships to 85 "counters" annually including 25 scholarships for "initial counters." Counters (NCAA Bylaw 15.02.3) are individuals who are receiving institutional financial aid that is countable against the aid limitations in a sport, initial counters (NCAA Bylaw 15.02.3.1) are individuals who are receiving countable financial aid in a sport for the first time. Bylaw 13.9.2.3 limits schools to signing 28 NLI from NSD through May 31.

"initial counters" is the keyword here.

When you have a transfer, that counter increases by 1. If you only signed 24 the previous year, that counter increases by 1. If you only signed 23, that counter increases by 2. etc.

What matters ultimately is that you have 85 in august.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't shady, the NCAA wouldnt have a MAX number of recruits per team. It doesn't say each team is allowed 25-28, unless you like more than that and want to grey shirt a healthy player and count him for next year.

They had room, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Again huge difference to a coach lying to 18 year olds and one being straight with them.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you have a transfer, that counter increases by 1. If you only signed 24 the previous year, that counter increases by 1. If you only signed 23, that counter increases by 2. etc.

You can only sign 25 in a single class. 25 kids for the 2016 class, but if you signed 22 in 2015 you have 3 more that can enroll early and count vs 2015 (assuming there is room to be at 85 by camp)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had room, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Again huge difference to a coach lying to 18 year olds and one being straight with them.
If they had room. Why offer a grey shirt? U can twist it how you want, but it is nothing more than taking advantage of a loop hole so you can sign more than the max commits allowed.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's right. But, my point is that the NCAA does indeed control the number of recruits.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they had room. Why offer a grey shirt? U can twist it how you want, but it is nothing more than taking advantage of a loop hole so you can sign more than the max commits allowed.

Here we go. You dont know anything about the situation and dont want to talk Michigan ball, so here come the stupid questions. No reason was ever really given. Texas had 3 kids not qualify and Texas still did not give him a scholarship, so he could not participate in fall camp. That is why when Florida offered him in the spring, there were rumors he would go to Florida. Look at the numbers, Texas was below the limit. They are taking multiple early entrants this year, so lets end the over signing nonsense. Even if you think it is a loophole, who cares? Not a person was hurt in this scenario. The issue everyone else has with Harbaugh is misled a teenager and put his future in jeopardy. Nothing like that happened with Merrick

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were below the limit. Why would they offer him as a grey shirt? If they didn't want to give him a scholarship, why wouldn't he just be a walk on? Correct me if I'm wrong, but by giving him a grey shirt, they are giving him a scholarship, but it doesn't start til winter semester

As I said, you can twist it how u want. Texas had a full class, which is why he ended up as a grey shirt. Only after 3 players didn't qualify did spots open.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were below the limit. Why would they offer him as a grey shirt? If they didn't want to give him a scholarship, why wouldn't he just be a walk on? Correct me if I'm wrong, but by giving him a grey shirt, they are giving him a scholarship, but it doesn't start til winter semester

As I said, you can twist it how u want. Texas had a full class, which is why he ended up as a grey shirt. Only after 3 players didn't qualify did spots open.

You are ridiculous. Maybe they just wanted to space them out. They had room and never turned it into a 2015 offer. You are trying to make nothing into offering a kid a scholarship, both parties agreeing, wait 7 months, and pull it a week before signing date. Comparing the 2 says a lot about you

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are ridiculous. Maybe they just wanted to space them out. They had room and never turned it into a 2015 offer. You are trying to make nothing into offering a kid a scholarship, both parties agreeing, wait 7 months, and pull it a week before signing date. Comparing the 2 says a lot about you
How many times can I say I'm not comparing anything? I am just pointing out that while u r talking about being shady -- Texas is no better using grey shirts on perfectly healthy players so they can go over the max for the year.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, Jordan Elliot decommitted from Michigan today without any warning. What a classless act doing that to Michigan this close to signing day. It's sad that recruiting has come to this, just going after the next new "best" school to come after him. I'm just really disappointed in his actions, but that's business these days.

Oh wait....is that criticism only reserved for Harbaugh?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, Jordan Elliot decommitted from Michigan today without any warning. What a classless act doing that to Michigan this close to signing day. It's sad that recruiting has come to this, just going after the next new "best" school to come after him. I'm just really disappointed in his actions, but that's business these days.

I'm pretty sure, we all called Petrino a scumbag for doing the same thing last year, but go ahead and climb on your cross.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny, because everything I read is that his decommitment did not come as a shock and was almost expected. Plus, he was commited for all of two months.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does that have the same impact on Harbs as it would on the kid if Harbs dumped him? No. So yes the criticism is all for Harbs in this.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny, because everything I read is that his decommitment did not come as a shock and was almost expected. Plus, he was commited for all of two months.
There's the difference. Elliott was at least open with michigan about his intentions. Hell he's been taking visits and wasn't keeping it a secret. It's not like he was all blue and then just suddenly told them out of nowhere "Oh yeah, I was just using you guys as a placeholder."

Besides, it wouldn't surprise me if they had several other decommitments, given the shit Harbaugh has been pulling lately. There's no way I'd let my son play for him with the complete disregard he has for his recruits.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's the difference. Elliott was at least open with michigan about his intentions. Hell he's been taking visits and wasn't keeping it a secret. It's not like he was all blue and then just suddenly told them out of nowhere "Oh yeah, I was just using you guys as a placeholder."

Besides, it wouldn't surprise me if they had several other decommitments, given the shit Harbaugh has been pulling lately. There's no way I'd let my son play for him with the complete disregard he has for his recruits.
If expected you mean -- the embattled, disappointed, coaching staff has known for a couple weeks that he was wavering. How dare a kid just up and leave this close to signing day. There's no way Michigan can fill that hole in the class.

On a serious note, many decommits have been expected for a while but they have nothing to do with Harbaugh's recruiting tactics.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This close to signing day is just really dissapointing for the staff. There's no way they can get a player that good to replace him. IT's just a really shitty thing for the player to do.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure, we all called Petrino a scumbag for doing the same thing last year, but go ahead and climb on your cross.
So it's only reserved for coaches?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the very last minute. No different than what Harbaugh did. Which is why I have no problem with Harbaugh pulling offers.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's only reserved for coaches?

Ummm, yes. Coaches get paid to deal with these things. Coaches are adults. This is not hard.
We may find out this is a direct reaction to Harbaugh's recent moves.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
michigan fans reaching despicable new lows of hypocrisy and classlessness.