• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh pulls commit's offer two weeks before signing day

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet Michigan fans have no problem with it because kids might flip on him.

Guy: "Hey fiancé, I'm breaking up with you because I'm going to go bang that hot secretary at work.
Fiancé: "But you made a commitment to me"
Guy: "Well I am pulling my offer because I might have a chance for someone better"
Fiancé: "but the wedding is in two weeks"
Guy: "Yeah, but you might cheat on me so it's all good, but if you want to bang me from time to time you can."

That doesn't sound scummy or dirty at all, right?

In terms of a personal romantic relationship, sure...scummy. In terms of a business deal, happens all the time.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid set an official visit for a non-Power 5 school back in November. It was way back then that Harbaugh told him the situation. The fact that he officially decommitted yesterday really doesn't matter. Harbaugh told him 3 months ago.

What did he tell him? He told him days ago it was 50/50 he had a scholarship. Did he tell him it was 80/20 if a visited a non-Power 5? Was he afraid he would lose a head to head with a non-Power 5? Like you said Elliott still has a scholarship and visited Texas. So the idea that you visit someone and your scholarship offer is void does not follow the facts of the Michigan class.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of a personal romantic relationship, sure...scummy. In terms of a business deal, happens all the time.
Just because it happens all the times doesn't make it right. People are murdered all the time, so that makes it ok? Companies hide side effects of drugs all the time, so that makes it ok, because it's a business.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because it happens all the times doesn't make it right. People are murdered all the time, so that makes it ok? Companies hide side effects of drugs all the time, so that makes it ok, because it's a business.
Until papers are signed, nothing is final. Quite a big difference between pulling a scholarship and murder. I don't think a coach should have to take a worse player just because a some form of a scholarship was offered 8 months ago. Unless you're talking about changing the way signing works, this will remain my opinion.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is an interesting statement. Not many will agree with your view that an agreement with an 18 yr old and his future are not personal. Your view reminds me of that South Park episode. Student Ath-o-lete

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until papers are signed, nothing is final. Quite a big difference between pulling a scholarship and murder. I don't think a coach should have to take a worse player just because a some form of a scholarship was offered 8 months ago.
As long as Michigan is fine, fuck the kids. They don't matter anyways.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well since this is "a business deal" then you are on the side of paying these kids an extra 30-40k a year, right?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well since this is "a business deal" then you are on the side of paying these kids an extra 30-40k a year, right?
No, their payment is a $200,000 free education at UM. Simply not having student loans is a massive leg up for anyone graduating college these days.

The worst thing that happened to Swenson is that he couldn't go to the school he wanted, will have to go to another major football school, be immediately eligible to play and get a free education to boot.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, their payment is a $200,000 free education at UM. Simply not having student loans is a massive leg up for anyone graduating college these days.
But it's just a business and in business, employees get paid. They aren't there for school, they are they to get paid.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until papers are signed, nothing is final. Quite a big difference between pulling a scholarship and murder. I don't think a coach should have to take a worse player just because a some form of a scholarship was offered 8 months ago. Unless you're talking about changing the way signing works, this will remain my opinion.
Wait if you ever have a son and he's all set to finalize his college plans that he's had confirmed for almost a year and then in mid-late January he gets the rug pulled out from under him. I'm guaranteeing you aren't talking to your son about "Well it's only fair, son, that the coach just found someone better, so I guess you'll just have to find somewhere else to go." These are kids lives, and he's a scum for waiting this long only to screw them over.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's just a business and in business, employees get paid. They aren't there for school, they are they to get paid.
So make them pay for college and give them 30K a year.....so they're out -$10,000/year....I like it!

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait if you ever have a son and he's all set to finalize his college plans that he's had confirmed for almost a year and then in mid-late January he gets the rug pulled out from under him. I'm guaranteeing you aren't talking to your son about "Well it's only fair, son, that the coach just found someone better, so I guess you'll just have to find somewhere else to go." These are kids lives, and he's a scum for waiting this long only to screw them over.
Nothing is confirmed. Nothing is signed. They have informal, verbal, commitments. That's why signing day is in Feb and not July. These kids signing in Feb. have 5 months until they report to school, plenty of time to alter any plans. It's not like they're reporting Feb. 4th. I don't think any coach should keep a be bound to keep a scholarship offer just because they don't want to disappoint a kid prior to signing day. I want my coach to try and get the best players possible to sign. If that means pulling scholarships to kids you think didn't work hard enough their senior year, so be it. They'll just have to go to one of the other Div 1 schools offering them. It's not like Michigan was their only offer and now they're out on the street. I do have a problem doing it this close to signing day, but my issue with it is not as big as my issue with over signing and cutting players once signed. That has a dramatic impact on their playing career.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, education is just a fringe benefit of that business.
I'm fine with removing all athletic scholarships and making them pay for it themselves. I don't think they should get paid and be on academic scholarship.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with removing all athletic scholarships and making them pay for it themselves. I don't think they should get paid and be on academic scholarship.
Why not pay them? How many companies pay their employees literally next to nothing for full time work?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not pay them? How many companies pay their employees literally next to nothing for full time work?
What about a $200,000 scholarship + food + housing + spending money is not pay?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about a $200,000 scholarship + food + housing + spending money is not pay?
Nope, it's a business. They need to be paid. If you are going to treat them as meaningless employees, like you want to, then need to be compensated better. Especially since Harbaugh might make up a reason to pull the scholarship any time any year.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, it's a business. They need to be paid. If you are going to treat them as meaningless employees, like you want to, then need to be compensated better. Especially since Harbaugh might make up a reason to pull the scholarship any time any year.
They're not meaningless employees. These kids have no affiliation to the University until they sign a letter of intent. Once they do sign with us, they get housing, food, spending money and a $200,000 education. Since these are binding contracts, the scholarships are good no matter what Harbaugh does after that.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The worst thing that happened to Swenson is that he couldn't go to the school he wanted, will have to go to another major football school, be immediately eligible to play and get a free education to boot.

hmmm. What are the risks?

Prospect:
1. His major interests are filled and he has to go to an inferior school. How much is that worth over a lifetime?
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor School Salary, Average Salaries | PayScale
2. Settles for his 2nd or 3rd school.

School:
1. Zero in this case.
2. Decommitt on signing day. Well they get a slightly worse kid or have an extra scholarship available in 2017.

I just dont see the risks remotely equal.