• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh pulls commit's offer two weeks before signing day

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pulling a scholarship and offering it to someone else before signing day is not over signing. Signing a kid and then forcing him out somehow because you don't have room is over signing. If we over signed and these kids were gone because of that, we wouldn't be able to offer their spot to anyone else. And while I don't agree with the treatment of the first recruit, this recruit had been told very early on (months ago) that he may not have a spot in the class.

You are arguing semantics. The Kids have been committed to Michigan. Michigan gave those kids their word. It is no different if you pull the plug in Jan or in March. Either way the coach and the University reneged on their pledge. Let's stop using the term "offer". Offer implies that their is no agreement reached. Both of these cases you have 2 willing parties that came to an agreement and one side reneged. It is much different than saying my offer is out.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are arguing semantics. The Kids have been committed to Michigan. Michigan gave those kids their word. It is no different if you pull the plug in Jan or in March. Either way the coach and the University reneged on their pledge. Let's stop using the term "offer". Offer implies that their is no agreement reached. Both of these cases you have 2 willing parties that came to an agreement and one side reneged. It is much different than saying my offer is out.
I don't agree with your assessment. In recruiting, coaches and players are going to back out of a verbal commitment to either a school or player for many different reasons. And that's fine -- it's part of recruiting. Hoke, considered my many to be one of the nicest coaches on the planet, would pull kids scholarships if they visited other schools.

We don't know what kind of "offer" was handed to this kid and what conditions were put on it by Harbaugh when extending the "offer". I have no problem with a coach saying to a kid that they'll take him if they have room and not taking him if they don't.

If you want to talk about something and SEC school would do, and what B10 fans like myself critique, they would have allowed this kid to sign and then told him he only had a greyshirt offer or try to medically disqualify him. That's over signing.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with your assessment. In recruiting, coaches and players are going to back out of a verbal commitment to either a school or player for many different reasons. And that's fine -- it's part of recruiting. Hoke, considered my many to be one of the nicest coaches on the planet, would pull kids scholarships if they visited other schools.

We don't know what kind of "offer" was handed to this kid and what conditions were put on it by Harbaugh when extending the "offer". I have no problem with a coach saying to a kid that they'll take him if they have room and not taking him if they don't.

Offer is simply a request for a kids services. You may may make 8 offers to LBs with a need for 4. Coaches consistently do that. Many will say there are 4 spots and offers are null if we fill them. That is significantly different than agreeing to attend the University, in essence taking one of those 4 spots only to have the coach renege on that agreement. If you arguing these kids agreed to a scholarship offer with the contingency that if Michigan found a better player it would no longer be valid, than you are truly delusional and need to find a new interest.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offer is simply a request for a kids services. You may may make 8 offers to LBs with a need for 4. Coaches consistently do that. Many will say there are 4 spots and offers are null if we fill them. That is significantly different than agreeing to attend the University, in essence taking one of those 4 spots only to have the coach renege on that agreement. If you arguing these kids agreed to a scholarship offer with the contingency that if Michigan found a better player it would no longer be valid, than you are truly delusional and need to find a new interest.
This kid set an official visit for a non-Power 5 school back in November. It was way back then that Harbaugh told him the situation. The fact that he officially decommitted yesterday really doesn't matter. Harbaugh told him 3 months ago.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid set an official visit for a non-Power 5 school back in November. It was way back then that Harbaugh told him the situation. The fact that he officially decommitted yesterday really doesn't matter. Harbaugh told him 3 months ago.

Considering the kid stated that he was told this week that he may or may not have an offer seems to disprove your assertion. Now it is 2 kids saying the same thing. I am pretty shocked that you feel that telling a kid that the University may or may not follow through on its promise is proper conduct by an adult and the University

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the kid stated that he was told this week that he may or may not have an offer seems to disprove your assertion. Now it is 2 kids saying the same thing. I am pretty shocked that you feel that telling a kid that the University may or may not follow through on its promise is proper conduct by an adult and the University
The Rivals mods have been saying this for months. It's not like they could see the future and point out some weird deal with this kid without the information being out there at some point prior to a few days ago.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I particularly like post #307:

Straight from @MAIZEandBLUE09's mouth:

"Except you don't seem to understand pretty much the basic qualifying factor of over signing -- that you're doing all of that at, around or after signing day AND you're purposefully signing or accepting commitments of more kids than you expect to have room for, worrying about finding space later."

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Except you don't seem to understand pretty much the basic qualifying factor of over signing -- that you're doing all of that at, around or after signing day AND you're purposefully signing or accepting commitments of more kids than you expect to have room for, worrying about finding space later."
That whole thread is pure gold right now.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And from all accounts of this story, Harbaugh put qualifications on his committment.

But that wasn't quite the desired point of my quoted post above. That was about going into national signing day with more committed kids than you have room for. Not necessarily about pulling offers before signing day. I used "around" in that case because we were talking about an early enrolled at OSU. But carry on any way. This is in no way the same.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That whole thread is pure gold right now.
If you say so. My point in that thread stands. I could see where an out of context reading of that could be ignorantly applied to our discussion here but it's in no way the same. My argument in that thread what taking a larger number of kids into signing day than you have room for is over signing. Which would have been relivant had Harbaugh hung onto either of these kids to, or through, signing day. Pulling an offer months before to offer it to someone else is not over signing, in fact, it's basically the opposite. It's working with the number of scholarships you have to give out.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And from all accounts of this story, Harbaugh put qualifications on his committment.

But that wasn't quite the desired point of my quoted post above. That was about going into national signing day with more committed kids than you have room for. Not necessarily about pulling offers before signing day. I used "around" in that case because we were talking about an early enrolled at OSU. But carry on any way. This is in no way the same.

So this isn't, "accepting commitments of more kids than you expect to have room for"? LOL What a load of pure bull shit.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this isn't, "accepting commitments of more kids than you expect to have room for"? LOL What a load of pure bull shit.
We didn't. Accepting commitments for more kids than we have room for would mean we kept these kids on AND their replacements.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So Michigan keeps a recruit from searching into other schools for two and a half years, after a regime that was well known to pull offers if you visit elsewhere (unless you are high recruit then those rules don't apply), and three weeks before signing day tells him to maybe look elsewhere is perfectly ok. No shadiness at all.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Michigan keeps a recruit from searching into other schools for two and a half years, after a regime that was well known to pull offers if you visit elsewhere (unless you are high recruit then those rules don't apply), and three weeks before signing day tells him to maybe look elsewhere is perfectly ok. No shadiness at all.
What would keep a kid from searching other schools? And no -- it's not OK. Or did you miss my whole thread on the Swenson situation? But it's not over signing.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would keep a kid from searching other schools? And no -- it's not OK. Or did you miss my whole thread on the Swenson situation? But it's not over signing.
Because it's well known that Michigan pulls offers if you visit other schools.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's well known that Michigan pulls offers if you visit other schools.
If you're talking about over a year ago when Brady Hoke was our coach, then yes.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're talking about over a year ago when Brady Hoke was our coach, then yes.
I'm so glad that we can now throw out all of the records for Michigan since everything before Harbaugh is inadmissible.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't. Accepting commitments for more kids than we have room for would mean we kept these kids on AND their replacements.

Michigan offers a scholarship. Kids accepts the offer. Kid commits to Michigan because of offer = accepting a commitment.