• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Recruiting for 2016 Gets Serious

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about if you tell a kid in January that he is not cleared to play and then sign a kid to that spot, is that OK?
No, still wrong given you kept that kid from looking at other schools to attend to make sure you could fill the class and once not needed, you cut him loose. But unless Michigan randomly cuts a bunch of kids a few weeks before signing day for dumb reasons -- that's not what is happening here.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a thread being created about Meyer for kicking a kid off who was not medically cleared. Isnt this what you are saying Harbs will do? Are you going to start a thread about Harbs and how horrible he is? I really doubt you will, I am guessing you will have a reason its ok.
No, that's not what is happening at all. It's not days before signing day and these are kids already on the team.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that's not what is happening at all. It's not days before signing day and these are kids already on the team.

Ohhh I see. Michigan is supposed to be given the benefit of the doubt and everyone should accept it's all for legitimate reasons.

But everyone else is for sure just doing it to oversign because they are evil assholes.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently you don't.
Oversigning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Oversigning (also spelled Over-signing) is an unofficial term for the practice of Americancollege athletic departments signing prospective student-athletes to a National Letter of Intent (NLI) that may exceed the maximum number of athletic scholarships permitted by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). "

Yes. I as an Alabama fan, who has been attacked for oversigning for the past 7+ years constantly, have no clue what oversigning is, what the complaints are, how it works, etc.

Tell you what. Take your own link, and then go down to the part where it talks about Nick Saban. Notice how the entire thing is about attrition? Because that's how you get the numbers down dipshit.

What is it all about? Medical Scholarships and Transfers.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No player is officially committed until he signs an official LOI and enrolls. Players are able to decommit until that point. So, the fact that Michigan now has 20 commits doesn't mean all of those 20 commits will be there in the end.
Then why create this thread if you are going to completely discount the rankings because "no player is completely committed?"

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I as an Alabama fan, who has been attacked for oversigning for the past 7+ years constantly, have no clue what oversigning is, what the complaints are, how it works, etc.

Tell you what. Take your own link, and then go down to the part where it talks about Nick Saban. Notice how the entire thing is about attrition? Because that's how you get the numbers down dipshit.

Except you don't seem to understand pretty much the basic qualifying factor of over signing -- that you're doing all of that at, around or after signing day AND you're purposefully signing or accepting commitments of more kids than you expect to have room for, worrying about finding space later. Filling spots that you think you'll have open 8 months before signing day is not over signing by any definition of the word. It's preparing for the spots you think you'll have open.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except you don't seem to understand pretty much the basic qualifying factor of over signing -- that you're doing all of that at, around or after signing day AND you're purposefully signing or accepting commitments of more kids than you expect to have room for, worrying about finding space later. Filling spots that you think you'll have open 8 months before signing day is not over signing by any definition of the word. It's preparing for the spots you think you'll have open.

:L

3a9.png

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right back at you. You're entirely wrong and apparently have a fucked up view of what over-signing is. Michigan will have room for this entire class and no perfectly good player is going to be kicked off the team for a medical hardship to make room for them. They expect to have X amount of open scholarships and they are signing a class to fill that. Remember, our last two classes were 16 and fewer.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically whatever Alabama and Ohio State does, it's over signing.

If Michigan does it, it's preparing for attrition.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why create this thread if you are going to completely discount the rankings because "no player is completely committed?"

Why does any person or recruiting site talk about it? Why are teams ranked? Are you saying Rivals, 24/7 Sports, and others cannot legitimately talk about recruiting before players are officially committed?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does any person or recruiting site talk about it? Why are teams ranked? Are you saying Rivals, 24/7 Sports, and others cannot legitimately talk about recruiting before players are officially committed?

Because those are the kids they are expected to sign and the kids the school intends to sign.

You are the one who thinks it doesn't mean anything. If Alabama had 30, I'd be like damn we are oversigning like crazy even though it's "not official".

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because those are the kids they are expected to sign and the kids the school intends to sign.

You are the one who thinks it doesn't mean anything. If Alabama had 30, I'd be like damn we are oversigning like crazy even though it's "not official".

You said, "Then why create this thread if you are going to completely discount the rankings because "no player is completely committed?"

I created the thread so we could talk about CFB recruiting for 2016 even though nothing is written in stone yet. I specifically created it to talk about how recruiting in the B1G has picked up recently. I created it because "those are the kids they are expected to sign and the kids the school intends to sign." But, some players will decommit and flip to other schools as we have seen in previous years. So, any discussion of oversigning is certainly premature.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correction, 4Down20: You didn't say, "Then why create this thread if you are going to completely discount the rankings because "no player is completely committed?" I was responding to 7Samurai.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said, "Then why create this thread if you are going to completely discount the rankings because "no player is completely committed?"

I created the thread so we could talk about CFB recruiting for 2016 even though nothing is written in stone yet. I specifically created it to talk about how recruiting in the B1G has picked up recently. I created it because "those are the kids they are expected to sign and the kids the school intends to sign." But, some players will decommit and flip to other schools as we have seen in previous years. So, any discussion of oversigning is certainly premature.

Well, I wasn't the one who originally said that, but I was curious to the answer of his question.

So if you expect those kids to sign, then it's perfectly questionable to ask how many slots are left. I didn't ask the original question in order to start an oversigning discussion. I asked because if Michigan doesn't have any/many spots left and they've already filled them up with 2 stars, then it's pretty foolish.

The good classes will be signing 7-8 more 4 and 5 star recruits. Does Michigan still have that many spots available? If not, then their class is going to drop like a rock in the future(as my average vs rank posts were pointing out). The alternative is Michigan gets into oversigning territory because 8 more commits = 28 in 1 class.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why you would think the number of recruits in a recruiting discussion was irrelevant.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Michigan signs around 30 this year btw. I've said so even back when he first became Michigan coach and had to hear about how Michigan doesn't oversign from Michigan fans. He had 17 last year because that was all he could get in the short time. He'll have a huge class this year with more time.

It's common for new coaches to come in and have huge classes their first years and higher attrition as they try to mold the teams into what they want/need for their system.

But don't sit here and tell me you aren't oversigning or doing those things when you clearly are. You just don't want to admit to being hypocrits.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes but you are also pimping out Michigan's ranking, if you are going to state that you can't count on any of these players staying. Also there is a thread dedicated to the 2016 recruiting class that is stickied if all you wanted to talk about was recruiting.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, still wrong given you kept that kid from looking at other schools to attend to make sure you could fill the class and once not needed, you cut him loose. But unless Michigan randomly cuts a bunch of kids a few weeks before signing day for dumb reasons -- that's not what is happening here.
So even though it was the first time the docs at tOSU had a chance to look at him still shady?

If he is healty, how is a 4 start who had lots of potential not needed?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No No No Bama bad all evil, MI good doing it the right way.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Michigan signs around 30 this year btw. I've said so even back when he first became Michigan coach and had to hear about how Michigan doesn't oversign from Michigan fans. He had 17 last year because that was all he could get in the short time. He'll have a huge class this year with more time.

It's common for new coaches to come in and have huge classes their first years and higher attrition as they try to mold the teams into what they want/need for their system.

But don't sit here and tell me you aren't oversigning or doing those things when you clearly are. You just don't want to admit to being hypocrits.

Again, the B10 limits our classes to 28. Unlike the SEC, we cannot sign classes of 30+. The most Michigan could sign is 28. All recruiting experts based on predictions of who's going to be here next year suggest that this class will be around 25.