• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh pulls commit's offer two weeks before signing day

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So.... back to 4-star OT Erik Swenson's status after getting hosed by Harbaugh.
Erik Swenson, Downers Grove South , Offensive Tackle

Swenson's official visit to Wisconsin apparently went very well... supposedly Swenson wants the Badgers and the Badgers want Swenson.... you can't blame Swenson for wanting Wisconsin, given the Badger's history in developing NFL caliber offensive lineman.
Wisconsin trending for ex-Michigan commit, two RBs

....but....

.... 'no room at the inn' in Madison, WI.... the Badgers 2016 class is pretty much full!

So... if both parties want each other badly enough, Swenson might greyshirt (delay enrollment at Wisconsin until January 2017). This actually is not too bad of an option... thus--- for next Fall 2016 semester, instead of enrolling at Wisconsin, Swenson can instead choose to take a few classes inexpensively at a local community college (as long as it's under 12 credits), and then transfer those credits to Wisconsin in Jan 2017, and Swenson will still have all four years of football eligibility remaining. This is a pretty good way of getting one's Freshman English Composition, and Social Science requirements out of the way, plus perhaps getting a head-start on one's first semester of Foreign Language too. Plus, one gets an extra year to bulk-up in the weight room too!

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So.... back to 4-star OT Erik Swenson's status after getting hosed by Harbaugh.
Erik Swenson, Downers Grove South , Offensive Tackle

Swenson's official visit to Wisconsin apparently went very well... supposedly Swenson wants the Badgers and the Badgers want Swenson.... you can't blame Swenson for wanting Wisconsin, given the Badger's history in developing NFL caliber offensive lineman.
Wisconsin trending for ex-Michigan commit, two RBs

....but....

.... 'no room at the inn' in Madison, WI.... the Badgers 2016 class is pretty much full!

So... if both parties want each other badly enough, Swenson might greyshirt (delay enrollment at Wisconsin until January 2017). This actually is not too bad of an option... thus--- for next Fall 2016 semester, instead of enrolling at Wisconsin, Swenson can instead choose to take a few classes inexpensively at a local community college (as long as it's under 12 credits), and then transfer those credits to Wisconsin in Jan 2017, and Swenson will still have all four years of football eligibility remaining. This is a pretty good way of getting one's Freshman English Composition, and Social Science requirements out of the way, plus perhaps getting a head-start on one's first semester of Foreign Language too. Plus, one gets an extra year to bulk-up in the weight room too!

I'm pretty certain we'll have room. Rumor has it that one of our recruits (Pennamon) has been denied admission and our top recruit (Rand) is very likely to decommit. That would leave four slots. At least one, and likely two, would have to go to RBs. One would have to go to a DB. But it would give us a slot for Swenson.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty certain we'll have room. Rumor has it that one of our recruits (Pennamon) has been denied admission and our top recruit (Rand) is very likely to decommit. That would leave four slots. At least one, and likely two, would have to go to RBs. One would have to go to a DB. But it would give us a slot for Swenson.

Congrats... ya just got one of those RB's today.
Sam Brodner, Glenbard West , Running Back

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to understand why Harbaugh isn't well liked. Michigan in the last day has taken a recruit from Penn State, George, Miami Fl and Virginia.

It also reminds how little a verbal commitment means to these kids.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to understand why Harbaugh isn't well liked. Michigan in the last day has taken a recruit from Penn State, George, Miami Fl and Virginia.

It also reminds how little a verbal commitment means to these kids.

I'm more than certain such things have nothing to do with it. That's just part of recruiting.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quote is a one side perspective that's second hand information. I maintain that it doesn't make sense to remove a top 250 talent when you have guys like two star DE Rashad Weaver taking up a scholarship spot.

Oops...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not anymore. But I have no problem with his situation. He came out yesterday and said they made it very clear he was a plan B and could have a preferred walk-on spot if Plan A committed. I have no issues with being upfront with kids.

From the kid himself:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not anymore. But I have no problem with his situation. He came out yesterday and said they made it very clear he was a plan B and could have a preferred walk-on spot if Plan A committed. I have no issues with being upfront with kids.

From the kid himself:

So now over signing is cool with you, because Harbaugh is doing it. Man you will swallow anything Harbaugh puts in front of you, won't you?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now over signing is cool with you, because Harbaugh is doing it. Man you will swallow anything Harbaugh puts in front of you, won't you?
He didn't over sign. He very clearly told the recruit well in advance of signing day he wouldn't have room for him if he got other players committed. Said recruit decided to not wait to see how things shook out and will look at other schools. If this happened at signing day, then I'd have an issue with it.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't over sign. He very clearly told the recruit well in advance of signing day he wouldn't have room for him if he got other players committed. Said recruit decided to not wait to see how things shook out and will look at other schools. If this happened at signing day, then I'd have an issue with it.

Harbaugh is such a great guy...gives the kid a whole week to decide the biggest decision of his life.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is such a great guy...gives the kid a whole week to decide the biggest decision of his life.
No, the kid decided to act this week. He's had months.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let me translate. Let me get this straight .
1. He did not oversign
2. He pulled 2 scholarships from kids in the last 2 weeks, because he offered their scholarships to other players

I guess that means you are fine with over signing as long as you clean it up in by signing day

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me translate. Let me get this straight .
1. He did not oversign
2. He pulled 2 scholarships from kids in the last 2 weeks, because he offered their scholarships to other players

I guess that means you are fine with over signing as long as you clean it up in by signing day
Pulling a scholarship and offering it to someone else before signing day is not over signing. Signing a kid and then forcing him out somehow because you don't have room is over signing. If we over signed and these kids were gone because of that, we wouldn't be able to offer their spot to anyone else. And while I don't agree with the treatment of the first recruit, this recruit had been told very early on (months ago) that he may not have a spot in the class.

Simply put, to over sign you must have signed a player you don't have room for. Pulling a scholarship from a kid and offering it to someone else is not over signing.