• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

guys we need to re-sign

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Of course Boldin is the #1...Crabs has to earn that back if he can stay healthy. IMO Crabs is not fit for this team. The 9ers need aggressive WRs to deal with Kaps darts and one read skills. Boldin is tops on the current list and I'm hoping for Evans to join the club for the same reason.

Are you kidding? Crabtree was putting up great numbers when healthy with Kap at QB. He's precisely the type of WR that works well with Kap.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course Boldin is the #1...Crabs has to earn that back if he can stay healthy. IMO Crabs is not fit for this team. The 9ers need aggressive WRs to deal with Kaps darts and one read skills. Boldin is tops on the current list and I'm hoping for Evans to join the club for the same reason.

LOL!

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Are you kidding? Crabtree was putting up great numbers when healthy with Kap at QB. He's precisely the type of WR that works well with Kap.

Sure Kap to Crabtree is a decent option for regular season games, but has Kap to Crabtree worked well the past two playoff exits?

I would say those game on the line throws Kap threw to Crabtree probably had a 10% success chance (against both the Ravens and Seahawks). Put Calvin Johnson in there and put the ball up higher and then maybe the success rate goes above 50%.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sure Kap to Crabtree is a decent option for regular season games, but has Kap to Crabtree worked well the past two playoff exits?

I would say those game on the line throws Kap threw to Crabtree probably had a 10% success chance (against both the Ravens and Seahawks). Put Calvin Johnson in there and put the ball up higher and then maybe the success rate goes above 50%.

A few thoughts here. When Crabtree was healthy, Kap to Crabtree was more than decent. It was very good. I don't disagree that that connection has not served us well at crucial junctures in the playoffs. That's on Kap IMO. He locks on to receivers in general, and to Crabtree specifically in important situations. And because Kap has done this, teams expect it. It makes it very hard to connect on those.

I love the "put the ball up higher" qualification. Yes, if Kap could throw a nice fade to the endzone, we'd be better served. Again, that's on Kap. And finally, if the replacement piece is the most physically dominant WR in the NFL - probably ever - the same could be said for about 21 of our starting positions. Are we going to have a chance to add a talent like Megatron in the next two offseasons?

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kno sick doesn't like hitner but how many SS are better in the league ?? Troy? Cam?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A few thoughts here. When Crabtree was healthy, Kap to Crabtree was more than decent. It was very good. I don't disagree that that connection has not served us well at crucial junctures in the playoffs. That's on Kap IMO. He locks on to receivers in general, and to Crabtree specifically in important situations. And because Kap has done this, teams expect it. It makes it very hard to connect on those.

I love the "put the ball up higher" qualification. Yes, if Kap could throw a nice fade to the endzone, we'd be better served. Again, that's on Kap. And finally, if the replacement piece is the most physically dominant WR in the NFL - probably ever - the same could be said for about 21 of our starting positions. Are we going to have a chance to add a talent like Megatron in the next two offseasons?

A receiver like Evans or Benjamin may have a higher ceiling than Crabtree. I'm not a WR scout so I couldn't tell you. If they do scout out well I'd be all up for moving up in the draft and grabbing one of these two guys and then letting Crabtree play out his rookie contract and then letting him walk.

I'd also take a flyer on a receiver like Kenny Britt. Kenny Britt with his head on straight has a higher ceiling than Kap. That one year before he tore his ACL he was on the verge of being dominant in the top 10 WRs.

I do not think Crabtree will ever be a top 10 WR in the league and I don't want to pay him like a top 10 WR.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Moncrief is another guy to watch. I've read articles comparing him to Josh Gordon in terms of size and speed.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A receiver like Evans or Benjamin may have a higher ceiling than Crabtree. I'm not a WR scout so I couldn't tell you. If they do scout out well I'd be all up for moving up in the draft and grabbing one of these two guys and then letting Crabtree play out his rookie contract and then letting him walk.

I'd also take a flyer on a receiver like Kenny Britt. Kenny Britt with his head on straight has a higher ceiling than Kap. That one year before he tore his ACL he was on the verge of being dominant in the top 10 WRs.

I do not think Crabtree will ever be a top 10 WR in the league and I don't want to pay him like a top 10 WR.

No objection to trying to increase the talent level on the team, particularly at WR. I don't see Benjamin with higher upside given his combine, but I could be wrong. Evans could be very good. Though I think Crabtree is better than many give him credit for, although he does have injury concerns. I'm not advocating paying him like a top-10 guy. I'd pay him like a top-20 guy, though. If he won't take that, I would let him walk.

As far as Kenny Britt, it's the "with his head on straight" that is the problem. The guy is a tremendous talent. He's just a complete head case. If he'll come in for the vet minimum, fine, but he didn't have much other than himself holding him back this past year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Britt also has a major question mark with that bum knee of his. But I would take a shot at any of the three for chump change: Britt, Nicks, or Rice.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Britt also has a major question mark with that bum knee of his. But I would take a shot at any of the three for chump change: Britt, Nicks, or Rice.

Agreed. The problem is, if any of those guys are inclined to go after "prove it" contracts - and they may not have much choice - they'll look at about 30 teams before settling on being the Niners' third receiver.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even with us signing Boldin today, I would still move up to draft Evans or Benjamin.

I don't want us so dependent on Crabtree or Boldin. It would be nice to have the WR depth that if one of them went down next guy up could step up.

Also then if Crabtree walks or Boldin retires then next guy up would be ready.

I'd still take a flyer on a receiver like Britt.

Then going into camp we'd have:

Boldin (starter)
Crabtree (starter)
rookie (Evans or Benjamin)
Britt or Baldwin (let them battle it out for a roster spot)
Patton

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even with us signing Boldin today, I would still move up to draft Evans or Benjamin.

I don't want us so dependent on Crabtree or Boldin. It would be nice to have the WR depth that if one of them went down next guy up could step up.

Also then if Crabtree walks or Boldin retires then next guy up would be ready.

I'd still take a flyer on a receiver like Britt.

Then going into camp we'd have:

Boldin (starter)
Crabtree (starter)
rookie (Evans or Benjamin)
Britt or Baldwin (let them battle it out for a roster spot)
Patton

I'm very nervous about Benjamin after his combine, and I think Evans goes pretty high at this point. I wouldn't make an extremely aggressive move up for either. I'd rather wait and see what falls to us. That said, I'm still all for adding a WR in the first two rounds - even trading up into say the 20s for one, and probably two in this draft.