• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Oden's "DECISION" is sign with Miami

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest fuss over the biggest bust in the NBA ever

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heatles another bandwagon Heat fan.

Do you even know what the term "bandwagon" means? Plus, me being a Dolphins fan, I'm perplexed as to how I fall in that category. Please enlighten me.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kwame Brown is the biggest bust in NBA history. Oden didn't live up because of injuries, Kwame because he just sucks.

:agree: i'll go along with this. Kwame was just flat-out horrible. who knows how good Oden would've been if his knees didn't put a crimp in his career...?

but...either way he's the Heat's worry now...:lol:

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you even know what the term "bandwagon" means? Plus, me being a Dolphins fan, I'm perplexed as to how I fall in that category. Please enlighten me.

youre a bandwago hurricane fan too. ignore the trolls man.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: i'll go along with this. Kwame was just flat-out horrible. who knows how good Oden would've been if his knees didn't put a crimp in his career...?

I love how he is a "worry"!

What you meant to say is that he is now another player who decided to trust the reputations of Arison, Riley, Spoelstra, and the Heats trainers. Another player who knew that playing with James probably equated to being on a probable Finals/Championship roster.

And let's not forget to mention, that he joins the growing list of quality players to buy into the team sacrifice theme and sign for a discount.

For the Lakers fans telling us or agreeing with the premise that Oden is a "worry"' perhaps look at your list if FA signings since 2010:lol:.

Sman2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how he is a "worry"!

What you meant to say is that he is now another player who decided to trust the reputations of Arison, Riley, Spoelstra, and the Heats trainers. Another player who knew that playing with James probably equated to being on a probable Finals/Championship roster.

And let's not forget to mention, that he joins the growing list of quality players to buy into the team sacrifice theme and sign for a discount.

For the Lakers fans telling us or agreeing with the premise that Oden is a "worry"' perhaps look at your list if FA signings since 2010:lol:.

You mean playing along with James, Wade, Bosh, Ray Allen, probably means making the finals...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have worked with a host of athlete injuries including musculoskeletal and nerve cell related injuries including Achilles tendon rupture injuries and I can tell you unequivocally that if Oden's knees have the susceptibility and predisposition to microfractures and his knees have the propensity to be as bad as Andrew Bynum's are at this point in both men's careers, much of the discussions on this board will be mute.

Just like Cleveland is about to find out, the salaries given to both men are just paying them to visit the team's contracted medical infrastructure because they'll be spending more time there then on the basketball court. So if that is called low risk and all reward continue with that fantasy.

If Oden's knees are indeed healed to the point of having the adaptability to withstand the rigors of a full season as a part time player, then many of the points by Heat fans and others regarding the cost by the team for Oden's potential contribution are indeed legitimate.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@retro

To my understanding (but please correct me as needed):

Bynums knees have a degenerative condition where the cartilage is not there anymore, not coming back and will only continue to disappear.

Oden has a predisposition to micro fractures in the knee caps.

Weight and playing time will affect both of these conditions and limited minutes and dropping weight will aid in their career's.

But it seems that Oden has a much better shot to have a revival because it is not the cartilage going but the bone.

With proper diet and less bone weakening activities (like drinking) his knee caps can be made stronger to a point that when coupled with weight loss and limited playing time he is in a better situation than Bynum?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oden was not a "bust". I think that is a horrible adjective to use and should be reserved for the Ryan Leaf's of the world.

Was his career far less productive than every one hoped and hyped? Yes. That is the media and who ever else put those expectations fault, not Bynum's.

He is doing what he can to make his career as productive as he can, the media is doing what they can to blow everything out of proportion and judge others at things they themselves can not do.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why will he be fine? He's had 3 microfracture surgeries and has missed 3 straight years.

But mr. loser says, "he'll be fine." Oh, ok. Sure he will

I mean if he is able to stay healthy. Some of you act like we want/expecting him to perform like a #1 draft pick.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a fairly good summary of both player's conditions at this point in their careers Botslayer. Bynum's condition is relegated to the area known as connective tissues such as cartilage, tendons, and ligaments which are constructed of proteins that can degrade at a faster rate especially with bad lifestyle choices such as alcohol use and in Bynum's case the excessive use of cannabis. Poor lifestyle habits such lousy hydration and diet and the use of recreational drugs such as alcohol and cannabis
(among other things) are not conducive to athletic body health.

There are plenty of data indicating weed use DOES NOT promote the body's optimal maintenance and recuperative pathways because it interferes with the enzymes of many of the anabolic pathways that generate proteins that comprise the connective tissue arena.

Oden on the other hand has a problem in skeletal bone. And although bone does contain protein as a component of the matrix that builds and sustains bone health, microfracturing in bone such as kneecaps is a problem with uptake and maintenance of integrity of a foundational component called hydroxyapaptite that consists of a huge molecule that includes Phosphate ions. This molecule is absolutely essential to maintaining and improving bone foundational stability and construction during the athlete's career. Without it, you have a lot of microfracturing. It is sort of like trying to build a house foundation footer using cement without the included hardening agent.

The structural integrity of the kneecap must be maintained as far as rigidity/flexibility because it is integral in the assimilation of the torque generated by the quadriceps muscles during upper and lower leg flexion/extension. The quad tendon rides over the kneecap and coalesces with the kneecap tendon at its bottom.

If Oden had the bone stimulating procedure done in Germany that Kobe had done which creates a greater uptake and retention of hydroxyapatite (and I believe that Oden did), then Oden's kneecaps will be stable and adaptable enough to withstand the rigors of even several minutes of an 82-game NBA season. If this is the case, then those who stated that Oden will be a low risk and high reward signing are absolutely correct. If not, then it is just a lot of fantasy.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Darko is the biggest bust ever. Drafted ahead of Melo and Wade.

Kwame's draft class is among the worst of all time. Who were the Wizards supposed to take? Some wanted them to take Battier for goodness sakes. The other players on the radar were Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler, who didn't really get good until his rookie deal was over.

There were good players taken later, but none who were considered possibilities at #1.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darko is the biggest bust ever. Drafted ahead of Melo and Wade.

Kwame's draft class is among the worst of all time. Who were the Wizards supposed to take? Some wanted them to take Battier for goodness sakes. The other players on the radar were Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler, who didn't really get good until his rookie deal was over.

There were good players taken later, but none who were considered possibilities at #1.

The draft class wasnt that bad.

You mentioned Chandler and Curry but you left out..
Tony Parker, Pau Gasol, Joe Johnson, Zach Randolf, Gerald Wallace, and Gilbert Arenas.
That class also had players like Shane Battier, Richard Jefferson, Jason Richardson, and Samuel Dalembert. All decent players.

But to answer your question.. they should have taken Parker... But no one had him that high. Pau Gasol went #3 so he probably should have been taken at 1.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also I am an expert NBA drafter ... 12 years after any draft.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oden was not a "bust". I think that is a horrible adjective to use and should be reserved for the Ryan Leaf's of the world.

Was his career far less productive than every one hoped and hyped? Yes. That is the media and who ever else put those expectations fault, not Bynum's.

He is doing what he can to make his career as productive as he can, the media is doing what they can to blow everything out of proportion and judge others at things they themselves can not do.

This is very well put Bot!! You can label Kwame the biggest bust but he didnt hype himself to be the #1. The fact of the matter is, he is still in the league getting contracts and more than one team seeks his services when those contracts end.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little risk move that could have a moderate reward. I can't imagine Miami using Oden other than to match up defensively against bigger centers. I don't think Miami will want Oden on floor too much clogging the lane for Lebron and Wade. Oden doesn't really fit offensively what Miami likes to do.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little risk move that could have a moderate reward. I can't imagine Miami using Oden other than to match up defensively against bigger centers. I don't think Miami will want Oden on floor too much clogging the lane for Lebron and Wade. Oden doesn't really fit offensively what Miami likes to do.

:agree:

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm gonna have to disagree with this...

The hype and the media expectations were all fair when it came to evaluating Greg Oden. He was a once in a decade type of talent...and has not come close to living up to his expectations

Now...Oden's case is a bit different from Ryan Leaf, Kwame Brown, Adam Morrison...those guys just flat out sucked. Oden...he was a bit more unlucky?

So in my opinion...Oden IS a bust...but because of his unfortunate circumstances...he's not as heavily scrutinized as the others who are labeled a bust...and I think that's fair

But to completely take the "bust" label off of Oden...nah that's being too nice...especially if you look at the player who was drafted right after him