• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Oden's "DECISION" is sign with Miami

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no doctor, but NBA teams and players have access to some of the best available worldwide.

My question is, if he stood no chance to make it back, then why would he go through the effort to attempt to and why would multiple NBA teams offer him a contract?

For Oden: he has 1.1 million reasons to go through the effort!!

For the NBA teams: You can't teach height!!

Plus, as has been pointed out, it's low risk/high reward!! If he doesn't work out, the Heat are only out $1.1 million. If he does work out, they'd be almost a lock to win the title!!

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no doctor, but NBA teams and players have access to some of the best available worldwide.

My question is, if he stood no chance to make it back, then why would he go through the effort to attempt to and why would multiple NBA teams offer him a contract?

He's a big body and can still jump. That's 6 fouls to give and an occasional dunk.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a big body and can still jump. That's 6 fouls to give and an occasional dunk.

Sounds like your describing Curry, not Oden. Oden is/was talented.
Anyway, to do that, or anything, means he will be on the court.

Look, I'm not predicting success or failure.
I'm just saying the option for either to happen must be there or there was no reason for Oden to make the comeback attempt.

Different player, and different type of injury, but remember Shaun Livingston?
That was as nasty of an injury as I recall seeing, but look at him now.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name for me ONE player that's come back from multiple knee surgeries.

I'll point this out as well.......he hasn't played for anyone, anywhere, for 4 years. No D league, no euro league, nobody.

If he was capable of actually playing, he would have been. He can walk......but if you're expecting ANYTHING other than him keeping the bench warm I feel sorry for you.

It's just a matter of TIME gents, not a question of IF.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name for me ONE player that's come back from multiple knee surgeries.

I'll point this out as well.......he hasn't played for anyone, anywhere, for 4 years. No D league, no euro league, nobody.

If he was capable of actually playing, he would have been. He can walk......but if you're expecting ANYTHING other than him keeping the bench warm I feel sorry for you.

It's just a matter of TIME gents, not a question of IF.

They weren't ligaments or cartilage though, also he was drinking then which weakens bones.

Bones can heal and get stronger with "medicine", less alcohol and dropping weight. All of which he is doing. :hope:

That is a long lay off and I would say had a lot to do with mental fatigue more than bone fatigue.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Oden: he has 1.1 million reasons to go through the effort!!

For the NBA teams: You can't teach height!!

Plus, as has been pointed out, it's low risk/high reward!! If he doesn't work out, the Heat are only out $1.1 million. If he does work out, they'd be almost a lock to win the title!!

I disagree with the 1.1M reasons. Subtract taxes, etc, and it turns into roughly half if that.
While half of that isn't anything to sneeze at, it isn't going to change his current financial situation one bit.

He's only attempting the comeback because he feels it can be successful, and believes he can still salvage some type of NBA career.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the 1.1M reasons. Subtract taxes, etc, and it turns into roughly half if that.
While half of that isn't anything to sneeze at, it isn't going to change his current financial situation one bit.

He's only attempting the comeback because he feels it can be successful, and believes he can still salvage some type of NBA career.

I'm sure he wants an NBA career, but I like my reason better!!:lol:

And remember, if his knees are somehow strong enough to salvage some type of NBA career, his 1.1 million reasons, become several more million reasons!!

Last edited by a moderator:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is expecting Oden to come here and put up 15 and 12 or something. His job is very simple and he should be able to accomplish it once he is able to stay healthy.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This signing is getting too much attention for just someone who's going a 3rd string, if that. The Bulls signing Dunleavy, Pacer signing Scola, and Nets getting KG and Pierce are much better moves than Greg Oden. I don't see how he even help the heats, he's not better Bosh, Heslem, or Anderson and the heat is not going to use two bigs cause they like to spread the floor. He's no different than Tracey Mcgrady on the Spurs right now and will have no impact on any games.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This signing is getting too much attention for just someone who's going a 3rd string, if that. The Bulls signing Dunleavy, Pacer signing Scola, and Nets getting KG and Pierce are much better moves than Greg Oden. I don't see how he even help the heats, he's not better Bosh, Heslem, or Anderson and the heat is not going to use two bigs cause they like to spread the floor. He's no different than Tracey Mcgrady on the Spurs right now and will have no impact on any games.

Dude has played 82 games, you don't really know how good he is yet.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the same low risk high reward chance that Miami took on with signing Birdman mid-season.

People are acting like this is a make or break move for Miami...if Oden doesn't pan out...Miami is still Miami..the favorites to win the east and faves to three peat

I have a feeling that Oden will be a solid contributor...we really only need him to muscle up with Hibbert for 10-15 mins in a playoff series

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Oden works out (and there's a big IF), I find it hard that you can't see how big that is. The Heat's one glaring weakness is a big that can body up against the big boys in the NBA and get rebounds. When he was in the NBA he was over 300 lbs., he's now at his college playing weight and is trying to get lower, which with knee issues you have to.

Who knows what will happen? The guy can have a 10-year career from here on out. Or he can injure his knee within the first 5 minutes of playing time? Who the hell knows?

Besides, given the roster situation, we probably won't know until after the All-star break anyway.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, from the Heat standpoint it figures around $3-$4 million given the luxury tax bracket. But still.......a huge gain....if it works out health wise. We'll have to wait and see.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, from the Heat standpoint it figures around $3-$4 million given the luxury tax bracket. But still.......a huge gain....if it works out health wise. We'll have to wait and see.

Correct. But a different discussion.
Trojan was saying why he felt Oden came back.

The fact that Arison was willing to pay 3-4M only further supports the point that the Heat feel he will be able to remain healthy.

Sman2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No you won't have "to wait and see" you delusional bitch...The guy walks with a cane...LOL...

Peace!!!

Sman2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oden will be fine

Why will he be fine? He's had 3 microfracture surgeries and has missed 3 straight years.

But mr. loser says, "he'll be fine." Oh, ok. Sure he will

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat fans ripped on all the guys the Lakers signed but when it comes to Oden all of a sudden its a great move. What part of he wont make it through the season do Heat fans dont understand? I mean bandwagon Heat fans. Thats you Flauge.