• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Oden's "DECISION" is sign with Miami

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Oden, the Heat only become a complete team that can be talked about against the all-time teams if he can start and play starters minutes.

If he is only available for 10-15 minutes or so a game because of his knees, then I'm not sure he helps that much!!

Having said that, 10-15 minutes per game of Oden playing at a high level, certainly wouldn't hurt the Heats chances!! I just don't think it would make him the difference maker that Heat fans are hoping for!!

i think if he gets 10-15.. and birdman gets 10-15.. and haslem cleans up the rest with bosh at center.. the center spot for miami will be very productive and not the huge gaping hole it had been with bosh and haslem sharing duties. i dont think it's a coincidence that miami went on a 27 game win streak shortly after birdman arriving. miami has been weak at the center spot since zo retired. oden provides some hope. but i just have a hard time putting faith in his knees.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LBJ isn't going anywhere if they 3 peat, which a healthy Oden I think will really help out in the east.

If James ever leaves, it certainly won't be after this season. No rhyme or reason to.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think if he gets 10-15.. and birdman gets 10-15.. and haslem cleans up the rest with bosh at center.. the center spot for miami will be very productive and not the huge gaping hole it had been with bosh and haslem sharing duties. i dont think it's a coincidence that miami went on a 27 game win streak shortly after birdman arriving. miami has been weak at the center spot since zo retired. oden provides some hope. but i just have a hard time putting faith in his knees.

There is no way to know if he will or won't stay healthy.
So, the way I'm looking at it is the Heat are back to back champs without him.

If Oden finds a way to contribute, it just greatly enhances your chances to win again.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odens NBA life has been sad after such promise. I just hope he can stay healthy the entire season.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good points!! Forgot about Birdman!! That would help Oden make more of an impact and maybe get him through the season without further issues because the Heat shouldn't need him for more than that 10-15 minutes!! They could rest him on the 2nd night of back to backs too, which I think was also suggested might happen.!!

As I've said before, I hope it works out for Oden!! I'll be hoping that he does well and that the Heat lose!!:lol:

Question though: Do he and Lebron make the Heat the oldest "looking" team in the NBA?:laugh3:

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many young bigs like Shav available. I guess there is a hope this goes well. Yes, the Heat will look and play old, but maybe one more in them imo. Nets Heat and Thunder Clippers. Thats the four that go to battle this year

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big men just don't usually have good recoveries from lower extremity injuries. Legs. Feet. Etc.

Bill Walton was never the same.

Then there was poor Yao.

That being said, I agree it's a low-risk, high-reward at that price for that team. They did win back-to-back without him and they are getting him at the league minimum.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question though: Do he and Lebron make the Heat the oldest "looking" team in the NBA?:laugh3:

it's not even close. even with baby face wade. when oden is mid 20s looks mid 40s.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the otherside of this... I think he will be huge for them actually... It will be slow but towards the end of the season he will come on strong... I just think surgeries have come a long way, he will benefit from it and so will the Heat... I hate this as a Lakers fan and a proud member of the HHC... :sadbron:
:agree:

Very low risk and a shitload of upside. Sure, he probably won't make it through the season but if he does?

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some athletes just want it handed to them. Why not go out an earn it....

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many young bigs like Shav available. I guess there is a hope this goes well. Yes, the Heat will look and play old, but maybe one more in them imo. Nets Heat and Thunder Clippers. Thats the four that go to battle this year

I just can not buy the Nets yet, I do think they will be one of the 4 remaining in the east though. And the west looks inevitable.

it's not even close. even with baby face wade. when oden is mid 20s looks mid 40s.

I was thinking if we average this maybe? Cole and chalmers look like they could be in high school...but then I was trying to think of 2 players in the NBA who look as old as either Oden or Lebron...maybe Pop?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still bet the farm he never sees the court.

This guy has been out of the league for FOUR YEARS.

If he was capable of playing, he would have been playing somewhere. He's been on the shelf because he's DONE.

I don't see him or Bynum ever playing again, and certainly not ever being impact players. If either averages more than 5 minutes this year I'll be shocked.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see him or Bynum ever playing again, and certainly not ever being impact players. If either averages more than 5 minutes this year I'll be shocked.

Bynum will average 5 minutes...if you are on IR or something that doesn't hurt your average right?

The Heat do not need him to be impact, they just need 15 -20 minutes from him in the playoffs against the Bulls and Pacers :D

I think it is about 90% he sees the court for at least 5 minutes this season. He will be decent, borderline good and not great.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely looked promising his rookie year. It's hard not to feel bad for Portland fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way to know if he will or won't stay healthy.
So, the way I'm looking at it is the Heat are back to back champs without him.

If Oden finds a way to contribute, it just greatly enhances your chances to win again.

i cannot think of any other way to look at it. this only has upside for miami as we have proven we dont need him to win titles. but if he does overcome his injury past, then there is huge upside.

Sman2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bynum will average 5 minutes...if you are on IR or something that doesn't hurt your average right?

The Heat do not need him to be impact, they just need 15 -20 minutes from him in the playoffs against the Bulls and Pacers :D

I think it is about 90% he sees the court for at least 5 minutes this season. He will be decent, borderline good and not great.

15-20 minutes? Dream on, Taco. The guy walks with a cane. He's had 3 micro' surgeries. No player has ever been the same after 1 of those surgeries. You're talking 3 of them.

Sorry Taco, you're not getting 5 good minutes out of that gimp.

Deal with it.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i cannot think of any other way to look at it. this only has upside for miami as we have proven we dont need him to win titles. but if he does overcome his injury past, then there is huge upside.

He's never going to "overcome" his injuries.....and YES he will be injured in the future.

I've said this before about Bynum, and it applies to Oden - proven blown knees CAN NOT hold up a 250+ pound man. They just can't.

It's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN. He WILL get injured. He WILL blow out a knee if not both.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's never going to "overcome" his injuries.....and YES he will be injured in the future.

I've said this before about Bynum, and it applies to Oden - proven blown knees CAN NOT hold up a 250+ pound man. They just can't.

It's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN. He WILL get injured. He WILL blow out a knee if not both.

I am no doctor, but NBA teams and players have access to some of the best available worldwide.

My question is, if he stood no chance to make it back, then why would he go through the effort to attempt to and why would multiple NBA teams offer him a contract?