• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grading this draft.......What's good, what's not so good.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that's it's finished, let's take a look at the end result with a red marking pen in hand and our Deerstalkers pulled snugly on our heads to assess this draft class. The questions all relating to the 10 drafted only.

1. What letter grade most approximately fits the class? not SM job in assembling it but the class itself. Individual grades and or as a group will do.

2. Which player would you deem the best later round steal?

3. Which player do you believe to be SM worse moment?

4. Which draftee not named Schreff will supplant a current starter?

5. Yes or no........will Washington sign Collins?

6. How many members of this class will make the 53 man roster?.......practice squad?

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that's it's finished, let's take a look at the end result with a red marking pen in hand and our Deerstalkers pulled snugly on our heads to assess this draft class. The questions all relating to the 10 drafted only.

1. What letter grade most approximately fits the class? not SM job in assembling it but the class itself. Individual grades and or as a group will do.

2. Which player would you deem the best later round steal?

3. Which player do you believe to be SM worse moment?

4. Which draftee not named Schreff will supplant a current starter?

5. Yes or no........will Washington sign Collins?

6. How many members of this class will make the 53 man roster?.......practice squad?

Obviously Preston Smith replaces Orakpo lol

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be an idiot to second guess any pick made by our GM. But since that's what we do I'll give my impressions:

Scherff will be a solid pro for 15 years. Still wanted Williams, dominant defensive lineman are way harder to find. But they are all in on Griffin and Scherff will help him not only in protection but more so with a stronger run game. Our first down runs KILLED us last year and Griffin was just incapable of overcoming 2nd and 9. Now maybe it will be 2nd and 4.

Really liked the Smith pick too, especially if he can provide a pass rush from the defensive line spot.

Not crazy at all about the RB or the guard from Alabama. Loved the WR from Duke, he could step in and make an immediate impact as a kick returner. Good God that position has been a problem forever.

Spenser sounds like a guy who was drafted for his special teams ability. Can you hold down the 5th wr spot for a guy who just does teams?

As for the rest never heard of them so how can I evaluate them?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) B- Should of been an A- with the drafting of Strong in the 3rd.
2) I don't think we stole anyone in this draft but smith could of ben a late first round pick. If you call that a steal.
3) The trade down was SM worst moment. He left a high profile WR on the board to draft a RB that was drafted at least a round early.
4) Hopefully its Smith at OLB
5) No
6) The first 5 picks should make the 53 man roster.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only pick i did not like was wr'spencer let me ask you styime was drafting spencer favortisem because his brother is one of are scouts

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to make the team. We only keep 5WR. Jax, Garcon, Roberts, Grant, and Crowder. Crowder is the ST guy. Same for the safety we drafted. We have Johnson, Goldsen, Thomas, Nacho, and A. Davis at ST. The 5th round LB should make it b/c of ST and can play backup ILB.

I really want to see what happens with the O-line. I think its safe to say that Ribeye is gone.

OT: Williams, Scherff, Moses, Compton
OG: Chester, Lunvou, Long, Kojo
C: Litch

Do we keep 9 olineman?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only pick i did not like was wr'spencer let me ask you styime was drafting spencer favortisem because his brother is one of are scouts
I'll answer that. No. There is no way SM wastes a pick to please a brother. Everyone of these picks is like gold. You don't throw them away on a gesture. They see spencer as a potential STs stud and a spot contributor as a role player. Will he ever crack the top 3? Probably not. Can he be a 3-5 year contributor as a STs stud and back up? Potentially. And that is what you really hope for from guys drafted in rounds 5-7.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
um i hope to get starters every round

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do too, but realistically, if you can get 3-5 years of productivity out of a 6th round pick as a role player, that's a good pick.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the RT pick in round one scherf exactly what we need with our young qbs , preston smith should make a nice rotation with an improved murphy

i like the trade back we drafted 2 wrs we didnt need a 3rd wr who is 5th on our depth chart who cant tackle my mother . perhaps grant improves even more and can become a jabar gafney type guy . we didnt need strong we needed what jones can do more , pass protect , spell AM and he plays special teams

kojo looks to be a strong pick who most likely will start out as a BU OG and maybe competes in year 2

it looks like we got a lot of special teams types later on and the kid from VT should impress there

crowder is a returner who can actually play some wr

i would say this is a solid draft

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope, I don't think so, but there were a couple of moves that didn't happen when we were on the clock that were puzzling to me. (My assessment to come)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a C+ to B- draft.

While it is clear that every problem area could not have possibly been solved in this draft, its damming theme is unmistakable. Unable to say so publicly, under truth serum S.M. would admit that when he finished his assessment of this team he found a team undersized and stocked with soft creme-filled players. What? You didn't get that when he stated that the team needed to get bigger?

My assessment of his first draft class:

Plusses.............Scott stuck to his guns and in almost every instance he drafted bigger stronger meaner spirited athletes. It appears to me that he's a bit of an historian too, selecting in addition to Schreff, Kouandjio, who, if not hindered by medical issues, will remind many of former guard Tre' Johnson or a larger version of Raleigh Mckenzie. That however was not enough for SM, because in round 7 he picked the massive center A. Reiter. Dude is a monster and if nothing else gives the team much needed bulk and grit in goal to go situations. These 3 selections signals a new day at the offensive line of scrimmage.

Another intriguing pick was P. Smith, who at 6'5".....271lbs and a 34" reach, already comes in with more tools and moves than the now departed B.Orakpo. He's also versatile enough to get moved anywhere along the defensive line and still get pressure. I'm very impressed with this selection and seeming upgrades on special teams.

Minuses.............Looking back, SM seems always to have a weakness drafting wide receivers that matched his stated desire to get bigger. Along those lines he also stayed true to his past in bypassing opportunities to get bigger at this crucial spot. Washington in the red zone was among the worse in the league and certainly could have used the additional threat to throw it up high as a complement to the new beefier ground attack.

Another concern is his choice at RB. Matt Jones a bigger version of A. Morris does have some blocking abilities, but like Morris is a liability in the passing game. Beyond that, he's had two knee surgeries, and that in itself is a head scratcher. If knee concerns were not an issue, why not go with more versatile backs selected after this pick. For me, that guy, Ajayi was there for the taking and although he too had knee concerns, is just as likely than not to have a career in line with or better than his contemporaries.

We still don't have answers at free safety. ...but in fairness, there's the real possibility that our stockpile of corners will allow at least one to be a regular there. So with fingers crossed, I'll give a wait and see push here.

To be sure, there are possible trades in the near future, and I wouldn't be surprised if he garners at least a couple of free agent signings along the way, in the meantime, I'm sticking with my grade(s) for this draft class........C+ to B-

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the RT pick in round one scherf exactly what we need with our young qbs , preston smith should make a nice rotation with an improved murphy

i like the trade back we drafted 2 wrs we didnt need a 3rd wr who is 5th on our depth chart who cant tackle my mother . perhaps grant improves even more and can become a jabar gafney type guy . we didnt need strong we needed what jones can do more , pass protect , spell AM and he plays special teams

kojo looks to be a strong pick who most likely will start out as a BU OG and maybe competes in year 2

it looks like we got a lot of special teams types later on and the kid from VT should impress there

crowder is a returner who can actually play some wr

i would say this is a solid draft

This is exactly how I see it too. I hope Smith can stay at DE, like you I think Murphy is a good up and comer and if we can rush the passer with both these guys that would be my preference. Loved the Crowder pick, maybe he can be that return guy we've been looking for since Johnny Morton played for the Jets.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That sounds good on paper & would be nice. However - you also need to be sure that you get role players & especially players that can contribute on special teams. You don't want to have too many young players who can't make solid contributions on special teams & wind up being malcontents. Given some of the Skins problems with ST in the recent past any help in this area could play huge dividends.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's 2 years too early but if Smith takes over for Murphy, Scherff and not Moses locks down the RT job, and Long still in limbo I gotta say last year's draft is looking like a Vinny special at this point in time

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a little reminder...that we are all fans...and not talent evaluators...

In 2011, Houston Texans fans did NOT like the J.J. Watt pick | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

In 2011, Houston Texans fans did NOT like the J.J. Watt pick
By Frank Schwab 1 hour ago Shutdown Corner
  • The Houston Texans landed the best player in the NFL with the 11th pick of the draft four years ago, and most of their fans absolutely hated it.

Instant draft reaction might be the most inexact science (hey, have you read Shutdown Corner's draft grades yet?) but it also might be the funniest thing to look back on with hindsight. The Texans' Facebook post when the team drafted Wisconsin defensive end J.J. Watt has been making a comeback on social media four years after the fact (h/t to @NYJUpdates on Twitter) and knowing what we know now, the comments are hilarious.