• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Grading Gruden So Far

What grade would you give to Jon Gruden's second go-round in Oakland so far?

• F

• Worse than F (even if it's impossible)

• Slightly above an F

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What grade would you give to Jon Gruden's second go-round in Oakland so far?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They played far better than expected yesterday, and lost Week one vs what I believe is the games best team

So slightly above F with room for hope

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incomplete.

Very few coaches succeed in their first season. I think the Raiders were stupid for giving him that contract but he at least deserves a year or two to see if he can do something.

But.....it is not looking good. That Mack deal reeks of epic stupidity.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask me or tag me at the end of the season.

It takes time to get everything right with your program

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incomplete.

Very few coaches succeed in their first season. I think the Raiders were stupid for giving him that contract but he at least deserves a year or two to see if he can do something.

But.....it is not looking good. That Mack deal reeks of epic stupidity.

Not so sure on the Mack deal, although your opinion is tge popular one

That team isn't close, pouring so much cap space into one player, or piling up draft picks, i think they may have made the right move

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i believe Gruden and the Raiders are getting this team ready for Vegas so I'm not sure they are necessarily focused on winning right now. I think they are more focused on grooming some of their young players and probably wouldn't mind stock piling some draft picks over the next couple of years so when they hit Vegas in 2020 they will have a foundation (they hope) to win there.

I think, in their mind, the veterans they have brought in can help to groom some of the younger guys but they will be gone by the time they move to Vegas.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure on the Mack deal, although your opinion is tge popular one

That team isn't close, pouring so much cap space into one player, or piling up draft picks, i think they may have made the right move

He has to hit on the draft picks he gave up for Mack. Only then would it be worth it.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
overwhelmingly, people believe Gruden screwed the pooch with the Mack trade ....... however, wouldn't the Patriots have done the same thing?

The Pats don't give out enormous contracts ... they trade players for max value in return before they have to pay them huge money.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give him a C at worst. He's not even trying to win this year. He is trying to pull off a Jimmy Johnson...trade your best player to get picks and then suck for at least a year to turn those picks into the next 5 years of domination.

He's probably pissed that the Bills somehow look worse than his team.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give him a C at worst. He's not even trying to win this year. He is trying to pull off a Jimmy Johnson...trade your best player to get picks and then suck for at least a year to turn those picks into the next 5 years of domination.

Yep. Can't trade Khalil Mack and claim you're doing anything else. It's all about figuring out what works for Carr this year.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
overwhelmingly, people believe Gruden screwed the pooch with the Mack trade ....... however, wouldn't the Patriots have done the same thing?

The Pats don't give out enormous contracts ... they trade players for max value in return before they have to pay them huge money.
They've overpaid players before like McCourty- so that may be a tad hot. If Chandler Jones weren't a knucklehead, he's still a Patriot I bet.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem he is going to run into is something Jimmy Johnson did not have......the salary cap.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem he is going to run into is something Jimmy Johnson did not have......the salary cap.

All the more reason to trade your best player for cheap 1st rounders. All you have to do is not mess it up and draft well. That will be where we see if Chucky is worth it. Year 3 (suck this year, draft and get 1 season of experience, show us sophomore year what you got).

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the more reason to trade your best player for cheap 1st rounders. All you have to do is not mess it up and draft well. That will be where we see if Chucky is worth it. Year 3 (suck this year, draft and get 1 season of experience, show us sophomore year what you got).

I can see that argument.....and it is a pretty good one. I never considered it. Of course you have to hit on those picks and that is where it may be hard. They screw this up and can basically become the Browns.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potato Salad.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is a good point. But also it does seem that the team trading away the player can make a big difference as far as trusting whether or not it was the right move. Patriots have proven by now that they know what they're doing. Maybe Gruden does too but since he hasn't proven it yet it doesn't look great.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that argument.....and it is a pretty good one. I never considered it. Of course you have to hit on those picks and that is where it may be hard. They screw this up and can basically become the Browns.

Yup, drafting is the way to go. He had a lot of guys about to hit their expensive years and then even more holes. The smart move is to pick one guy to build around (Carr) and let the others either take below market extensions or go elsewhere. Everything hinges on the draft though. Especially if you are getting 1st rounders. Second key will be using them and not trading up with them or trading future years.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than F...like a G-minus, or an H+

And Romo is better on the Corona Hotline, to boot