• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goodell to appeal

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to know. He sounds like a nice enough of a guy though, no?
Stick around a few minutes. He's a tool. Couldn't hurt a fly but still a tool.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't hurt a fly?

...he can't spell fly.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady appeals.

Crowd goes wild!

Goodell appeals.

Lynch mobs form.

Incredible. :L

Reactions: gb2

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure he did. Generally speaking, petitions to vacate an arbitration award are dead bang losers. That's because they attempt to relitigate the substantive merit of the decision handed down by the arbitrator. Courts reject those types of arguments on grounds that resolution of the merits is exactly what you bargained for when picking an arbitrator to decide your dispute.

On the other hand, in the rare cases when awards get overturned, courts do so based on procedural shortcoming in the arbitration process. That's exactly what happened here. Berman held that there was no rule regarding "general awareness" in the CBA, much less one that would result in a four-game suspension. And, of course, Berman assailed the kangaroo-court type procedures imposed by Goodell blocking Brady and the NFLPA from conducting a fair presentation of their case.

Berman didn't just pull nonsense out of his butt, he cited a series of legitimate reasons. Maybe it will get overturned but I think Brady has the upper hand right now.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell will NOT attend the Steelers/ Ravens game.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berman didn't just pull nonsense out of his butt, he cited a series of legitimate reasons. Maybe it will get overturned but I think Brady has the upper hand right now.
I just want it to go away.

And have the disciplinary process changed.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, I agree. Berman's decision is sound. And it can be supported on a number of independent grounds. While you never know what an appeals court will do, it's very, very defensible.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The big question for me is how this impacts the league in general.

Greg Hardy may not sue the NFL. And that will be a lot uglier because it won't some nonsense issue about PSI in a football. It will be about a serious problem in this country and in the NFL

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Killer for the NFL is that Goodell and the league VIOLATED Article 46, the one article they thought they had Brady by the balls. It states specifically that all personnel associated or connected to any investigation must be made available to opposing attorneys. Goodell would not allow the NFLPA or Kessler to depose Jeff Pash, NFL attorney who was the first person to review the Wells Report and the attorney that said that Mike Kensil and his groupies could go to Foxboro and run the 'sting' operation. Berman stated that the league violated the CBA...........that alone will get the case tossed from the appeal.

Bingo!

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big question for me is how this impacts the league in general.

Greg Hardy may not sue the NFL. And that will be a lot uglier because it won't some nonsense issue about PSI in a football. It will be about a serious problem in this country and in the NFL

There's something broken with the process. I think the drug policy is an example of one that sort of works because the details have been worked out (even with the weed nonsense). That should be something Goodell should be working on a regular basis. So it's clear for everyone. The trouble is that is relying too much on his "authority" and that indicates he's not really doing his job. I guess when you're the head of one of most popular and powerful organizations in the US, it's easy to get complacent.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady appeals.

Crowd goes wild!

Goodell appeals.

Lynch mobs form.

Don't worry those are your $ and taxes going to waste to support Goodell's ego. Every game you attend, every article of NFL clothing you purchase, every new stadium solely or partially funded by the fans are going to the lawyers. All for one persons ego.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady appeals.

Crowd goes wild!

Goodell appeals.

Lynch mobs form.

Hammer, you know my opinion on this ordeal so I'll be brief, two questions:
Do you really think Goodell did a good job with this investigation?
Are you amused, as most fans are, that now HE is on the defensive side of the argument?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer, you know my opinion on this ordeal so I'll be brief, two questions:
Do you really think Goodell did a good job with this investigation?
Are you amused, as most fans are, that now HE is on the defensive side of the argument?

He did the best he could against Robert Kraft's infinite checkbook. Tom Brady cheated and he's exposed for what he is. All that's left now is for his career to come to a inglorious end.

Goodell did the right thing. I don't see him on the defensive at all. Mission accomplished! :clap:

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did the best he could against Robert Kraft's infinite checkbook. Tom Brady cheated and he's exposed for what he is. All that's left now is for his career to come to a inglorious end.

Goodell did the right thing. I don't see him on the defensive at all. Mission accomplished! :clap:

Thanks for your answers. Oh the power of deep pockets. Goodell may have done the right thing in principle but failed miserably in execution. You can't be the commish and conduct yourself so poorly: judge and arbitrator the same and one? C'mon man that shit hasn't happened since the Spanish Inquisition!

gb2

I Hate Orange.!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest practical impact of Berman's ruling is that Brady will be able to face to the Cowboys in Week 4.

Pretty sad when you have to root for someone else's team to do your dirty work fer ya......tooooo fuuuuny.!

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3