• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gilmore Holding Out?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots announced last night that they will discussing a new contract for Stephon Gilmore and that it will be done by training camp.

In other words, the Patriots and Gilmore have been quietly talking and have a contract framework that will need tweaking. My guess? Gilmore will sign for 3 more years. Pats won't go any longer.
Agree BB won't go any longer. Maybe a two year deal even?

Or is this all a ploy to see if BB can get more in a trade?

Not often contract negotiations go public in NE before they're signed.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots announced last night that they will discussing a new contract for Stephon Gilmore and that it will be done by training camp.

In other words, the Patriots and Gilmore have been quietly talking and have a contract framework that will need tweaking. My guess? Gilmore will sign for 3 more years. Pats won't go any longer.
Probably a large signing bonus front end loaded deal so year two and three his contract won't kill the cap

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a large signing bonus front end loaded deal so year two and three his contract won't kill the cap
That's what got him in this funk this year, plus asking for his 2021 salary to be given as part of his 2020 salary. Teams need to ignore the press and the fans and just once, force the legality of a contract to be honored. If it means spending $100M in legal costs to end all of the crap that's been allowed, so be it. Shoving a legal contract up a player's butt and then forcing him to compensate the owner for his legal bill, might end it forever.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what got him in this funk this year, plus asking for his 2021 salary to be given as part of his 2020 salary. Teams need to ignore the press and the fans and just once, force the legality of a contract to be honored. If it means spending $100M in legal costs to end all of the crap that's been allowed, so be it. Shoving a legal contract up a player's butt and then forcing him to compensate the owner for his legal bill, might end it forever.
Legal bills are insignificant since every aspect is already addressed in the collective bargaining agreement. They show up in court and the case is dismissed... That doesn't cost much.

The Tom Brady case was extreme but proved this point, and yes that one did cost a lot in legal bills because challenging the commissioners authority had not been done. Even there, the conclusion was this: Anything in the collective bargaining agreement has been approved by both sides and can't be contested. In there it spells out the remedy for players who hold out which means players CAN hold out but will have to accept predetermined consequences.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that is the CBA the players union and owners allow this. I have said this before teams know how many practices and games there are, and they know how much money is owed. Take the salary and divide by games and practices that equals your daily fine.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the latest. Stephon Gilmore has asked for a Darius Slay contract. 3 years, $50.5M. Typically a big chunk up front as a signing bonus and just about all of it guaranteed.

On Saturday past, Gilmore put a razor to his throat and told some woman reporter that he wasn't 100% ...yet.

Excuse me?? You want a contract that a healthy 27 year old got and you're 31 and still not ready to take the field in a game.

Offer him a 3 year $30M contract with $15M guaranteed and incentives, both makeable and a real nut busting $!5M over those same three years and give him the guaranteed cash as a signing bonus.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the latest. Stephon Gilmore has asked for a Darius Slay contract. 3 years, $50.5M. Typically a big chunk up front as a signing bonus and just about all of it guaranteed.

On Saturday past, Gilmore put a razor to his throat and told some woman reporter that he wasn't 100% ...yet.

Excuse me?? You want a contract that a healthy 27 year old got and you're 31 and still not ready to take the field in a game.

Offer him a 3 year $30M contract with $15M guaranteed and incentives, both makeable and a real nut busting $!5M over those same three years and give him the guaranteed cash as a signing bonus.
Call me a hardass but I'm thinking get on the field and show me you can play!

"Hey boss, I'd like a raise."
"You have been on sick leave for 6 months! How about we talk about it when you start working again?"

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me a hardass but I'm thinking get on the field and show me you can play!

"Hey boss, I'd like a raise."
"You have been on sick leave for 6 months! How about we talk about it when you start working again?"
They need to fix this in the collective bargaining agreement, and it's not hard to do... The majority of the Union membership don't have the power to hold out and "win". Offer something of benefit to those who usually don't have this power for the ability to hold players to their contract.

Here what I could see, add bonuses across the board for performances above a pay grade. That way a breakout undrafted running back will benefit huge if they lead the league in rushing, but huge earners who lead the league won't. Trade that with teeth that prevents a player from getting any benefit from holding out (like voiding all bonus money from current contract including past paid).

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What no one is saying is this.....

He reportedly would take the bump, but it must put him in the top 5 . His bump would be about $10M.

Couple of problems.

1. Not one team physician or trainer has been able to examine him
2. He said two weeks ago that he's 'not quite there yet.'
3. CRITICAL>>>>>>Is he able to practice full contract?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Get your ass into Foxboro on the 22nd and get a full medial evaluation. If you're ready to go, then sit out if the Patriots won't pay you. Or do one better. Practice for two weeks and show that you're ready to go full speed and hold out if the Patriots won't discuss a new contract. My guess is that if you're anywhere near 100% you'll get your three year deal at $54M and $36M will be guaranteed.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He reportedly would take the bump, but it must put him in the top 5 . His bump would be about $10M.

Couple of problems.

Get your ass into Foxboro on the 22nd and get a full medial evaluation. If you're ready to go, then sit out if the Patriots won't pay you. Or do one better. Practice for two weeks and show that you're ready to go full speed and hold out if the Patriots won't discuss a new contract. My guess is that if you're anywhere near 100% you'll get your three year deal at $54M and $36M will be guaranteed.
Are we sure a team Dr. hasn't been able to see him? Couldn't that be done in PT or somewhere else?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this the more i think take what you can get in trade. Pay JC Jackson he was just rated a top 10 CB pay him now. Duggar is developing nicely a vet CB is bound top get cut and we are pretty loaded in the backfield. Take a 3rd round pick for him BB does well in rounds three and four.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this the more i think take what you can get in trade. Pay JC Jackson he was just rated a top 10 CB pay him now. Duggar is developing nicely a vet CB is bound top get cut and we are pretty loaded in the backfield. Take a 3rd round pick for him BB does well in rounds three and four.
You don't "pay" JC now, you negotiate his next contract with this year at it's current rate and give some signing money now and guarantee portions of the next few years. I agree with the top 10 money part.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couple of problems.

Do you have a link saying he must be in top 5?
Are you saying full contract or full contact?

Does today's market dictate that he get paid that much for that long at his age?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd is too cheap. We have offers f a 2nd

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't "pay" JC now, you negotiate his next contract with this year at it's current rate and give some signing money now and guarantee portions of the next few years. I agree with the top 10 money part.
Is this you today pick every fucking word apart. Or are you being intentionally obtuse if you don't get the point I don't know what to say

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ever it is I don't really care 2nd fine. Point is get the draft pick pay the future not the past.
I'm fine with that. May happen. Let the negotiations play out.
Training camp is coming, tic, tic, tic
Does his market value to other teams start decreasing if he does not show?
Any trade involves a physical. Why would he agree with a physical for them but not for us?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with that. May happen. Let the negotiations play out.
Training camp is coming, tic, tic, tic
Does his market value to other teams start decreasing if he does not show?
Any trade involves a physical. Why would he agree with a physical for them but not for us
I never read or heard he would not agree to a physical with us? Is the fact or speculation?